PDA

View Full Version : Was a "Nam" campaign for CFS2 ever done?

Warhawk1130
October 3rd, 2008, 10:11
Hi, Dirtman, just reviving your old thread, wondering what the progress is so far?

simonu
October 3rd, 2008, 14:46
taking a break from coastline scenery, and spend a bit of time on some buildings for vietnam (and other places.)
What you see in the pic below is enmass building models viewed in Gmax, (they are superimposed on each other) waiting for damage models to be made. I am resurching the sort of damage to apply, when these military buildings were hit by rockets they suffered partial collapse. (more involved than just modeling a crater).

Warhawk1130
October 3rd, 2008, 19:59
Cool beans

casey jones
October 17th, 2008, 07:59
I have enjoyed The Fox Four Series since it came out..just great! I was watching my old tapes of "Dogfights" The Phamton and the NVA Mig 19s, I throught I had seen a message on the CFS2 forum that one of our people is creating a campaign for the Vietnam Air War? Has anyone any information on it?

Cheers

Casey:kilroy:

OBIO
October 17th, 2008, 08:02
The package is in beta testing now....will be some time yet before it is ready for public release. Lots of stuff still needing tweaked, plane issues to be resolved, scenery being created. Be patient...

OBIO

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 09:44
WOW OBI!!!! Ya sure answered this one quick!!!

Yup; like Obi said: things are progressing well, but this is a huge project that will take much longer than originally anticipated. :isadizzy:

Thanks to Obi & Tango we have some brand new planes (and they fly & look UNBELIEVABLE!!) Many are in the late stages of completion.

simonu has provided us (thru billions of hours of hard & tedious work) new scenery packages & selected mesh that make Vietnam look better than ever before!!!

The major stumbling block is that I want to be absolutely sure everything is done properly & guarantee this sim will be the very best it can possibly be. Not only in the short term but for the future expansions.

Unfortunately; all the previous threads concerning the Vietnam-4-CFS2 were lost in the Sim Outhouse server crash a few weeks ago.

Here are some pics so you's can see how we're coming along......... some old - some new.

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 09:54
DANG!!! Can only upload 8 at a time so here's some more: :banghead:

Note the new upgraded landclass scenery & mesh behind the Loach pics.

THANK YOU BROTHER SIMONU!!! :medals: :medals:
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 10:05
I can hear Collin now: (in his British accent) :173go1:

Durtman; yer should be using foto-bucket fer uploading yer piccy's; ya silly git!!

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

Collin
October 17th, 2008, 13:16
I can hear Collin now: (in his British accent) :173go1:

Durtman; yer should be using foto-bucket fer uploading yer piccy's; ya silly git!!

Nah....that should read....

Durtman; yer should stick yer head in a bucket; yer silly git!!:costumes:

regards Collin:ernae:

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 13:53
Do I hear an echo in here???????????

Mus be me long-lost brudder LongJock :isadizzy:

Skywolf
October 17th, 2008, 16:54
Liked the Phantom with the Dirtman on it, Can I have the plane and a skin with Skywolf on it?

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 17:14
Liked the Phantom with the Dirtman on it, Can I have the plane and a skin with Skywolf on it?

Sure .... just put it on for yourself - like I did.... it aint rocket science ; this is how you learn Bro.

Just pick any plane with open .BMP texture files, then experiment till ya get it right!
I did that one in MS Paint!!! :redf::redf::redf:

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

Skywolf
October 18th, 2008, 09:17
I have GIMP. Will that work?

bearcat241
October 18th, 2008, 09:27
I have GIMP. Will that work?

Like a charm...Paint.Net is another great freeware choice too.

Skywolf
October 18th, 2008, 09:41
In that case, if I get good, I may do some skins!

jim001
October 28th, 2008, 14:22
I know that a lot of time and effort is going in to the new Vietnam Mod for CFS2, but I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the Vietnam add on that is currently available. It's called 'Vietnam Air War' and is from Just Flight, admittedly the Aircraft models are a bit dated but it does give you something to fly in whilst waiting for a, judging by the screen shots, very good looking and well made Mod.

Dirtman
October 28th, 2008, 14:47
Yo Jim001;

There are 3 main differences:

1) Vietnam-4-CFS2 will use many high quality plus all new aircraft & other upgrades (like SAM2) for CFS2 developed recently or over the past few years.

2) It will provide air, sea & land combat theaters. Player vehicles for each.

3) It is complete freeware. The only cost is the time it takes to d/l & assemble it. Most parts will be available here at SOH where the d/l's are at a very high speed compared to some other sites which slow them down unless you pay a membership fee

I hope this answers your question completely and thanks for your interest in V-4-CFS2

Buddha13
October 28th, 2008, 15:13
Hi all,
I have that addon and it is great fun.But as said the a/c by todays standards leave a great deal to be desired.

Buddha13

Skywolf
October 28th, 2008, 17:42
Is there a date by which the Vietnam-4-CFS2 will be ready for release, Approximately?

gianlucabagatti
February 21st, 2009, 09:00
haven`t heard anything since quite a longtime about vietnam....
any news?
please keep on Dirtmann!

Fibber
February 21st, 2009, 09:46
It is several miles to the East of Subic.:ernae:

dog1
February 21st, 2009, 10:00
i heard the wars over....

Tango_Romeo
February 22nd, 2009, 10:24
...that the project has been dumped. It has just run into some snags as the result of the overall concept being very, very ambitious and very, very complex. I've been involved only on the sidelines so to speak.

Some of the FPS issues can be solved now that AlphaSim has released some of the source files for the aircraft. I've offered to multi-LOD these for the project, which should go a long way toward solving the issue.

However, a campaign of the magnitude originally planned....AND it is a misnomer to call it a campaign, because it is a number of campaigns in one package. The last project I saw that was this big took four years and a team of five persons to complete properly.

Anyhow, don't give up yet. :engel016:

Dirtman
February 22nd, 2009, 17:00
Thanks for the intro Brother Tango! (take 6 beers & a Tijuana hooker out of petty cash)

Work on Vietnam 4 CFS2 is proceeding but at a very slow pace. As Tango said this is understandable considering the complexity of this upgrade ..... I've even found that some of the glitches ... have glitches!!!

.... 77044

Good_2_Be & PSULLYKEYS have been diligently working in the area of "player ships" aka "shplanes" (for the brown water navy campaign) This is very slow & tedious research and development to say the least. But progress is being made and I'm expecting a major breakthrough at any time.

Captain Tenneal and most recently CRASHAZ have joined "Dirty's Dozen" and have added their abilities & experience to our group.

I must say here that it is an honour & privilege for me to work with a group consisting of some of the BEST CFS2 addicts here at SOH

Collin
simonu
PSULLYKEYS
Rami
Good_2_Be
GearyMcS
Captain Tenneal
gedm
CRASHAZ
Tango Romeo
Obio

Perhaps the best part is that we have all become very close friends.

Past that I've personally been experiencing some of those dastardly "real life" problems that occur to everyone from time to time. This has been going on for the past 5 months & consumes a great deal of my time and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Don't ya just hate it when real life gets in the way yer "virtual life" eh ??

I'll try and post some screenshots in the near future so you's can see our progress. (I always seem to forget to turn on Fraps before I go into the sim)

Please forgive .... I must be getting old.

....... 77051

Thanks again Gianluca & everyone for your continued interest in our project .. when completed ... it will blow yer socks off!!!

:faint: :faint: :faint:

hellcat44
February 22nd, 2009, 17:56
It might go a little faster D-man if you left out some of the unnecessary special effects.....
like monks practicing self-immolation. :redfire:

Collin
February 22nd, 2009, 23:08
It might go a little faster D-man if you left out some of the unnecessary special effects.....
like monks practicing self-immolation. :redfire:

And John Wayne self-promoting:Banane36::Banane15:

regards Collin:ernae:

Dirtman
February 23rd, 2009, 06:01
Yo Hellcat44 & Collin;

Well guys you both may be right ....

But it was Collin's idea to insert a live, x-rated video feed from tube8.com into the target radar box.

Collin
February 23rd, 2009, 06:56
Yo Hellcat44 & Collin;

Well guys you both may be right ....

But it was Collin's idea to insert a live, x-rated video feed from tube8.com into the target radar box.

Well sweet cheeks...ya gorra liven it up:amen:

regards Collin:caked:

tobob
July 21st, 2009, 14:35
The VN_uires from the cfs2/other section is corrupted.

Anyone got one they could graciously send me for my Vietnam install?
Would be much appreciated.

If not, is it possible to make my own without converting images? Could I load one up into photoshop and create my own?

Tobob

Dirtman
July 21st, 2009, 15:02
The VN_uires from the cfs2/other section is corrupted.

Anyone got one they could graciously send me for my Vietnam install?
Would be much appreciated.

Tobob

Got um here. PM me yer email addy & I'll ship them to ya.
The package is 35MB .... so I'll need to break it up.

I hope you have a Gmail box.

BTW; there will be an updated screenpack for Vietnam-4-CFS2 when it's finished. Based upon this package but updated & greatly expanded.

Also grab Merc's: AUTO_SPLASHS+LOAD+ALERT Viet Nam

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10813 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/../index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10813)

They're AWESOME!!!

... 6602 6602 6602

Rami
July 21st, 2009, 15:12
There are a couple of corrupt files, (Rhumba's DEM 8, pack 18 is another one) but I'm going to wait for the server transfer to be completed before I relay this.

Dirtman
July 21st, 2009, 15:25
is it possible to make my own without converting images? Could I load one up into photoshop and create my own?

Tobob

Yes & it's fairly easy. This is where I first started ... I use MS Paint .. no problamo.

JPEG's are easy, BMP's need to be converted to 555 format ... I use M$ Image Tool.

AJAX "Gawd of Uries" was nice enough to teach me all about this stuff.

tobob
July 22nd, 2009, 05:19
Dirtman,

Let's hold off for now, I will wait for the new release. Besides I'm going to try to make my own, maybe a modern aircraft install. I will call it 'Post WWII'. Wish me luck. Thank you!

Tobob

Dirtman
July 22nd, 2009, 06:43
Let's hold off for now, I will wait for the new release.

Roger that tobob - be advise it might be another year before it's ready. :isadizzy:

Besides I'm going to try to make my own, maybe a modern aircraft install. I will call it 'Post WWII'. Wish me luck. Thank you!
Tobob

Best of Luck Bro. Once ya get going it's lots of fun & great experience.

All the main screens are 800x600 BMP's ( scr_ )

The others: Debrief ( scr_db_ ) & Outcome ( out_ ) are 529x474 JPG's

Use the original country.cfg as a guide.

For V-4-CFS2 I have expanded the country.cfg to list ALL combatants separately. Once the sim is released it will be obvious why I have done this. Here is the latest configuration:

[alliance.0]
name=Allies
country.0=1 ; US Air Force
country.1=3 ; US Navy
country.2=5 ; USMC
country.3=7 ; US Army
country.4=9 ; South Vietnam Air Force
country.5=10 ; South Vietnam Army
country.6=11 ; France
country.7=13 ;
country.8=14 ;
country.9=17 ;
country.10=18 ;

[alliance.1]
name=Axis
country.0=2 ; North Vietnam Air Force
country.1=4 ; North Vietnam Army
country.2=6 ; Viet Cong
country.3=8 ; Chinese Air Force
country.4=12 ; Russia
country.5=15 ; North Vietnam Navy
country.6=16 ;
country.7=19 ;

tobob
July 22nd, 2009, 06:52
A year!!!:isadizzy: LOL!

I'll see what I can do. I might bug you with any problems I have. :mixedsmi:
Thanks again.

Tobob

Dirtman
July 22nd, 2009, 07:48
A year!!!:isadizzy: LOL!
This is not just a campaign or 2 .... it's a completely upgraded (and "stand alone") version of CFS2 incorporating all the latest innovations, scenery upgrades, a complete set of the aircraft used and MORE.

Wait till you enter a "hot SAM zone" ..... 3 SA2's launch & explode close to you ..... almost guaranteed to trigger the dreaded: "wet chair" effect!

6643 6643 6643 6643 6643

I'll see what I can do. I might bug you with any problems I have. :mixedsmi:
Thanks again.

No sweat Bro I'd be happy to help ya. I wasn't born knowing everything about our sim ... I learned from the terrific people in this forum. Now I try to give this back when I am able.

Dave239
August 2nd, 2009, 16:28
Gentlemen I was reading that you are building a Vietnam Campaign. When will it be ready?

Will you let me know?

Thanks

Becky

Dirtman
August 3rd, 2009, 03:09
Gentlemen I was reading that you are building a Vietnam Campaign. When will it be ready?

Yo Becky;

"Gentlemen" ??? .... are you talkin' to me?? :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Like I said previously ... probably another year. :banghead:

This is not just a campaign but a completely new version of CFS2 specifically for Vietnam. It will include 6 basic campaigns (USAF, USN, NVAF, USN River Patrol, US Army helo & USMC)

This is a huge project & is currently beset with technical problems but we are working through them. Very low framerates (at times) is at the top of the list .... a 512MB to 1GB vid card might be needed to run the sim at full resolution.

I'm presently using a PNY GeForce 6600 256MB (with 2GB of system RAM) and in many places the sim bogs down to 8 -10 FPS (aka - "slideshow mode")

I'm gonna test some scenery mods (which will help) but the real problem is that none of the 27 planes are multi LOD.

:icon34: :icon34: :icon34:

But on the "up side"; The work done by simonu(landclass textures & coastlines) plus simonu & Rhumba (mesh) have transformed the scenery from a flat lump of dirt to a fully textured theater of operations. Vietnam has never looked so good!!! The difference is ammazing!!!

Also after some lengthy disscussions with Tango Romeo; I am seriously considering using "auto installers" to simplify V-4-CFS2's installation. (as done with FoxFour's Korea)

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Strafing_run
November 24th, 2009, 02:53
I was just wondering how this campaign was progressing as I haven't seen any mention of it for awhile?

Dirtman
November 24th, 2009, 06:40
I was just wondering how this campaign was progressing as I haven't seen any mention of it for awhile?

Yo SR;

I guess the word would be ... sloooooowly.

Vietnam-4-CFS2 is much more than just a campaign, it's a complete VN only sim which will include 6 basic campaigns. Right now things are stalled due to a number of technical problems. They are NOT impossible to solve ... just difficult because we are trying to take CFS2 somewhere it's never been before.

Further; frame-rates are a major issue right now as none of the 28 core aircraft are in multi-LOD. This may require a PC with a 2.8GHz CPU and a minimum 512MB video card to run the sim above the "slideshow" threshold.
Hopefully I'll soon have the beta version tested on a dual or quad core PC with a 1GB vid card to evaluate how well V-4-CFS2 operates on a contemporary computer.

I have also been discussing with Collin & Tango Romeo (FoxFour) the possibility of using auto-installers to load the sim as it is very complex and has many tweaks due to the use of jets. (something that CFS2 was never designed to operate)

But on the up-side:

- the scenery is about 75% completed thanks to the diligent work of simonu & Rhumbaflappy. I can tell you that Vietnam has NEVER looked so real!!! These guys have really done an incredible job!!!

- we are also using a completely rebuilt interface by with an expanded country.cfg so that the USAF, USN, USMC & US Army all have their own separate identities and screenpacks. The interface is still in the beta stage.
The credit here goes to Mercure for his BEAUTIFUL screens & the ability for them to change automatically. In this; V-4-CFS2 will look different each time you load the sim.

All the beta testers raved about V1.5 even though it has MANY glitches.
V2.0 has been building for 10 months now ..... hopefully it will be completed soon so testing can begin.

On top of all this techno-crap; I have (for the 13 months) been experiencing some "real-world" problems that have effected my "virtual-life" .... don't ya just hate it when that happens?

I hope this answers your questions & Thank You for your interest.
Here are some pics:

20162 20163 20164 20166 20165 2016720168 20169

Dirtman
November 24th, 2009, 07:04
and a few more .....

20174 20173 20181 20182 20183 20175 20180 20176 20177 20178 20179

Jagdflieger
November 24th, 2009, 14:09
Thanks for the update Dirtman.

Looking forward to going "downtown" or "upcountry" in CFS 2.

Oglivie
November 24th, 2009, 14:41
Yo SR;

I guess the word would be ... sloooooowly.

Further; frame-rates are a major issue right now as none of the 28 core aircraft are in multi-LOD.

And converting them to multi-LOD with scasm (if the model is MDLC compatible) would be very very time consuming project in itself and require permission from the authors. The mdl would have to be edited, and that is after all the parts were properly ID'ed in the scasm code. Probably best to add lods with original mdl source files and program used to create them.:kilroy:
Otherwise, CFS2 Vietnam is appearing to be a very good! Thanks for the screenies!:ernae:

Strafing_run
November 25th, 2009, 02:09
Thanks for the reply Dirtman, from those screenshots it is going to be awesome. Keep up the good work guys, I am sure it will be a major hit when finally complete. In the meantime, we shall wait patiently:icon29:

BTW Jagd, which version of the Thud is that in your screenshot?

Jagdflieger
November 25th, 2009, 03:26
Strafing Run,

It should be the Alphasim F-105D. I'm pretty sure that it's freeware now.

Try looking through the Alphasim Oldies here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=AlphaOldies

Or here at Alphasim:

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/as_freeware.html

Obio also converted the FS 2002/2004 Thud from Alphasim and Oldwheat made up a nice DP file for it. Search through Obio's extensive list of uploads for it here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=OBIO

klausreiss
November 25th, 2009, 04:44
Vietnam - does this make sense in CFS2, if you couldn’t use guided weapons like the sidewinder or the sparrow? A Phantom without these weapons is not a real Phantom.
I’m not sure, but I think most of the Mig-kills in Vietnam are made with Sidewinder.

Best wishes

miamieagle
November 25th, 2009, 04:57
Those Screen shots just look great!

I"am also very interested!

Thank you!

Bill Kestell
November 25th, 2009, 10:44
Klausreiss, if I'm not mistaken, much the same "technology massage" was applied to A2A missiles as to the SAM's. Thus you can shoot a Sidewinder at a MiG and it will home or attempt to in rear and rear quarter setups. The difference is the "launch site" ... a pylon as opposed to a ground site. What is apparently beyond the ability of CFS2 is anything A2A that's radar guided.

That said, Dirtman, I'm pleased that things are still moving forward and still believe that this new package will be a major breakthrough ... and exciting to fly!

Rami
November 25th, 2009, 16:09
Klausreiss,

Many people have been working miracles to try and get this idea off the ground. Yes, it's true that there may be some minor issues, but that in no way mitigates the effort that has gone into it.

Jagdflieger
November 25th, 2009, 17:26
Other than some TOW AT missiles and Paveway bombs used late in the war, almost all the air to ground ordnance was dumb during the Vietnam War.

Given the high failure rate of Sparrows and Sidewinders over North Vietnam as well as the absolutely stupid political rules of engagement (ROE), the pilots screamed for on board guns and all descendant fighters in the USAF and USN have them.

Janes' USAF simulator from almost 10 years ago had a great VN campaign in it, but I understand it won't run on the current operating systems. Failing that, I guess Strike Fighters is a good choice if you want a true jet simulator. Unlike the older Janes offerings, I think that SF has a somewhat open architecture and can be added to like CFS 2.

dsawan
November 25th, 2009, 17:36
Like jadg says, SF is good. You get the avionics, free addons, and enemy sams not to mention shrike missiles and bullpup agm's which dont always hit their targets.:icon29:

miamieagle
November 26th, 2009, 04:10
I have Wings over Vietnam and its a pretty good Sim representing the Vietnam Air war. I still would like to see a CFS2 version.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/wingsovervietnam/review.html

erufle
November 28th, 2009, 08:14
I have always given Dirtman a hard time here at the Outhouse. But the truth is, I have a lot of respect for his technical expertise and vision. I also know that he has a brilliant support team. Dirtman also has a certain social talent that has allowed him to pull these people together and discuss the project in detail. To sum, this project is going to be great because the CFS4 Vietnam team has a great leader. All of the shortcomings will be minimized and the strengths will become the focus of the project.

Now Dirtbag, pull your head out of your arse and get this project finished or I am going to make another bombing run on your house that will consist of fresh cow chips doused with gasoline and a few dead skunks just for proper etiquette. And next time, stop drinking so many fluids before bed!

Nole
November 28th, 2009, 09:26
Vietnam - does this make sense in CFS2, if you couldn’t use guided weapons like the sidewinder or the sparrow? A Phantom without these weapons is not a real Phantom.
I’m not sure, but I think most of the Mig-kills in Vietnam are made with Sidewinder. The failure rate of all A2A missiles early on in VN led to the use of pod guns and later integral Vulcans, which accounted for many kills in VN. In fact, the first MiG kill in the conflict made by a USAF F4 was an unarmed/unguided Sidewinder fired in frustration at about 100yds range. Early on the NVN MiG pilots feared the Navy's Crusader (last of the gunfighters) with her four integral 20mm. The Crusader was more than a match for the MiGs in a dogfight, even though she carried the AIM-9 too. Dirtman has lent much realism to the VN scenario with the use of Tango's SA-2 G2A missile, as well as his 8-Second-Timed Sidewinder. The former is 'guided' by the mission-builder, while the later is unguided, but has a large blast radius and can be deadly. All in all, Dirt's crew can put together a pretty convincing set of missions.

sc7500
November 28th, 2009, 12:33
...I have always given Dirtman a hard time here at the Outhouse. But the truth is, I have a lot of respect for his technical expertise and vision. ...
Now Dirtbag, pull your head out of your arse and get this project finished or I am going to make another bombing run on your house ...

Erufle, you had me goin' for a bit... I thot mebbe the holidays had softened your outlook !!!

LOL
SC
:kilroy:

Strafing_run
January 17th, 2011, 03:26
Hi all, I haven't been on SOH for some time (I know - what's wrong with me) and I was wondering how progress was going with the Vietnam campaign that was being worked on a while back? The progress pics back then looked very good so hopefully it is still under construction?

Dirtman
January 19th, 2011, 03:46
The Bad News

The Vietnam-4-CFS2 project is currently on hold due to extremely low framerate issues. My current PC simply does not have the resources to run the upgrade effectively.

3.0GHz Single core (478 "Prescott" w/HT)
2GB DDR PC3200 RAM
512MB DDR2 NVIDIA 7300GT

The Good News

I will be acquiring a much more powerful PC shortly and work will resume.

The upside is that this will set the minimum specifications that this package can be run on:

Dual core (minimum) or Quad Core (recommended) 2.8GHz and above.

3+GB DDR2 Ram

1GB Video card (minimum)

If your PC is below these specs; then installing this package will disappoint you & waste your time.

Version 1.5 has been tested on a 2.7GHz Dual core, 3GB RAM & 1GB NVIDIA video card and ran acceptably well; BUT was not completely tested for F/R's in certain problem areas.

=============================

Please note that Vietnam-4-CFS2 is not a campaign; it is an upgrade of CFS2 to a "stand alone" Vietnam only install. The first 3 campaigns are: USAF, USN & North Vietnam Air Force.

This upgrade is for skilled & experienced CFS2 users only. The basic sim has been extensively modified to work better with high performance jets (& helicopters) rather than props.

Also the entire screen interface has been modernized - right down to the buttons.

Thank You for your interest.

Strafing_run
January 20th, 2011, 02:47
Thanks for the reply Dirtman, I think my computer will run it nicely. Thanks to a recent upgrade I now have a 2.9ghz quad core, 4gb of RAM, 1 gb graphics card. It runs Modern Warfare very well. I will be waiting patiently for the project to be completed :cost1:

kelticheart
April 30th, 2013, 00:11
Hi everybody!

Morton's repaints of Vietnam-era jets made me wish to set up a CFS2 Vietnam install.

Although I found many other aircrafts suitable for it, a lot of FS8 material that can be successfully converted to CFS2 and used, I found only very few sceneries, 3 Ian Elliot's South Vietnam airoprts, and no missions/campaigns whatsoever.

There are modern payloads available for both sides, SAM missile AA objects, Russian MiG-17s and 21s in North Vietnam colours, there's even a stock C-47 converted into a Vietnam guerrilla night interdiction gunship!

What stirres my curiosity is that in many aircraft downloads I found comments about a "forthcoming" Vietnam campaign. Was such a campaign ever put together, and, if yes, where can it be downloaded from?

Thank you!
KH :ernae:

Seagull V
April 30th, 2013, 01:47
I don't know what it's like, but there are a couple of payware copies here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-Air-War-Combat-Flight-Add/dp/B000065BMV

Was thinking of getting it a few years back but tried the opposition instead - CFS2 lacks a bit in missile capability.

Regards, SGV

Blood_Hawk23
April 30th, 2013, 03:24
I think Tango had it last. there was another post on it somewhere.

Rami
April 30th, 2013, 03:32
Hey guys,

I did a little tunneling through past threads and came up with some info for you...feast away. I combined them all in this thread to make it easier for you!

kelticheart
May 2nd, 2013, 01:02
Hey guys,

I did a little tunneling through past threads and came up with some info for you...feast away. I combined them all in this thread to make it easier for you!

Thanks Rami!

It looks like heck knows when such thing will ever be released, not counting that I haven't seen posts from Dirtman in quite a while, his last post to this thread dates back to January 2011......:frown:

At least, when the time will come, I'll be ready with the aircraft fleet!

Cheers!

kelticheart
May 7th, 2013, 02:30
To Whom It May Concern:........;)

I am finding over at Flightsim.com a large amount of Vietnam war airport sceneries designed for FS2002, which, if I'm correct, shouldn't have many conversion issues with CFS2. I haven't installed any of them yet, but I quick look inside the downloads shows the same file structure, with *.bgl in \scenery and texture files in \texture, we usually find in CFS2 sceneries.

Thay are all designed by George Knowles, and, other than the fact they are not GSL sceneries, I think they can be collected.

To find them, just select "File Library" from Flightsim.com, do a "File Search" and enter "George Knowles" as a search key. You'll get all 38 of them.

Cheers!

Typhoon Willy
May 7th, 2013, 04:05
Hi Kelti,

Thanks for the heads up! Ian Elliot did several Vietnam air bases, but no where near the extent Mr. Knowles has done. Now I'll have some bases in Thailand from which to fly my F-105Ds that Morton has so wonderfully painted!

TW

Jagdflieger
May 7th, 2013, 20:42
Let us know how those FS 8 airfields in Thailand work out Typhoon.

I've flown out of Takli, Udon and Khon Kaen on various assignments.

Chok di (good luck).

p14u2nv
May 7th, 2013, 22:06
Also look for Chu Lai Airbase by Al Simms for both FS8 and FS9. Al Simms also provided 'Nam era military buildings, huts, bunkers, macros and objects too.

Not sure if FS9 AFCAD files for George Knowles Thailand Military bases by Larry Steinborn will work in CFS2. However they can be found on AVSIM, Flightsim and Simviation. Those bases included are:

VTNP Nam Phong RTAFB nkp-rtafb.zip (Avsim)/(Simviation) Pg. 63
VTUD Udorn RTAFB Udorn rt.zip (Flightsim)/(Simviation) Pg. 63
VTPI Takhli RTAFB TakhliRTAFB.zip (Simviation) Pg. 64
VTUN Khorat RTAFB KoratRTAFB.zip (Simviation) Pg. 63
VTUU Ubon RTAFB UbonRTAFB.zip/Ubon2_zip (Simviation) Pg. 61
VTUW Nakhom Phanom RTAFB NKPRTAFB.zip (Simviation) Pg. 63

Da Nang Area, Vietnam 1970: danang70.zip for FS98 by André Lederer & Udo Entenmann (This is in addition to Knowles Danang AB scenery).

*Trees_v3.zip by Gerrish Gray will be needed for George Knowles sceneries.

:USA-flag:

Typhoon Willy
May 8th, 2013, 05:44
Well, did an install of the Takhli scenery with trees_v3 and kept getting a ctd. Crap.

Blood_Hawk23
May 8th, 2013, 06:01
it might be able to be converted. I've never tried but maybe.

Fibber
May 8th, 2013, 11:06
didn't Xavier do Indochina, Hainandao add-ons as GSL and also a SouthChina GSL? Could those form a basis for a Indochina/Vietnam campaign/mission add-on. Some reading I had done was that some of the early NVA bases were actually Japanese bases from WW2 and just modernized.
Haven't found any missions for those bases but if available wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure the "calls" for some more modern a/c.

Just a thought on my part and probably not worth a darn.

Also I tried some of those FS9 bases and they caused alot of problems as they are now. Converting them is well above my paygrade of peon.

kelticheart
May 9th, 2013, 00:26
didn't Xavier do Indochina, Hainandao add-ons as GSL and also a SouthChina GSL? Could those form a basis for a Indochina/Vietnam campaign/mission add-on. Some reading I had done was that some of the early NVA bases were actually Japanese bases from WW2 and just modernized.
Haven't found any missions for those bases but if available wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure the "calls" for some more modern a/c.

Just a thought on my part and probably not worth a darn.

Also I tried some of those FS9 bases and they caused alot of problems as they are now. Converting them is well above my paygrade of peon.

Hi Fibber,

although yours is in theory a good idea, considering Xavier's Far East sceneries are all GSL-ised, I had my share of so-so experience coupling the sceneries which came with Fox4's KoW addon with Xavier's WWII Korean strips.
Mine was the usual CFS2er's attempt for a richer environment than the bare CFS2 world, in some case the same location airbases just stood side by side without interferring with each other, in other cases they overlapped with a poor visual result.

The real issue came with the length of Xavier's WWII strips and the fact that they all feature a rough, dirt surface, which was not very well accepted by the Sabres and the Panthers. All other aircrafts, naturally all WWII derived piston-engined planes like Skyraiders, had not a single problem, but I experienced some jet blowup landing or taking off from Xavier's Korean strips. :rolleyes:

Since I always fly with the flight model set to "hard" and all reality features on for maximum immersion factor, in a couple of instances I blew up my Sabre just taxiing towards the hangar or parking spot, shooting to hell an otherwise good mission.The jet I had more difficulties taking off with, for its unfavourable power-to-weight ratio, is the straight-winged F-84G Thunderjet, which always ate up the entire dirt strip length, sometimes even overshot it.
The length of runways cannot be modified, as all the data one can tinker with in the airbases.dat is all dedicated to AI planes, not affecting the main plane at all. Besides, as far as my knowledge goes, the natural roughness of a dirt strip cannot be modified either.

I gather in Vietnam we'd have the same problem. Heavily loaded fighter-bombers would have a rough life taking off from a dirt strip, let's not talk of the runway length a B-52 would need.
I am so sorry for dismantling your suggestion, but I think we'd need paved, long runways in Vietnam more than in Korea and Xavier's beautiful WWII-era sceneries cannot provide them.

TYPHOON WILLY:

Did you install the FS9 sceneries suggested by p14u2nv, or the FS8 from Flightsim.com? As far as I know FS9 sceneries, as well as CFS3 ones, are not compatible with CFS2, while the senior sim can digest FS2002 sceneries and gobble up FS2000 ones with no problem.

Cheers!

Fibber
May 9th, 2013, 17:36
.....forget about the "Buffs" having their feet on the ground in SNAM. No way shape or form were the bases able to handle them. By the time they got airborne they were already at minimum over NVam.
Dirt strips the "fan guys" could handle. Shorter stips were usable for the likes of the F-5's. That is beside the bases like Dang(Damn)Nahn(sp) which could service the jets.

Beside my thought about Xavier bases was just that ... a thought.

Typhoon Willy
May 10th, 2013, 17:46
Hi Kelti,

I wasn't able to get the FS2002 Takhili Airbase to work, kept getting a CTD. I even installed the trees but still no go.

TW

erufle
May 15th, 2013, 02:58
I used to Skype with Dirtman once in a while, and I know Rami and some of you other guys did so on a more regular basis. I seem to recall him offering me a beta of what had been done on the project so far, but that was a couple of years ago. I turned down the beta because he said the FPS were too low. Now, I have no recall regarding what the beta included but I had assumed it included some scenery (hence the FPS issues).

I haven't heard from Daddy Dirt in a year or so because my wife . . . well . . . you see . . . how do you say . . . oh yea . . . yo no tengo machismo . . . but GOD I LOVED THAT MAN! What fun we had jousting back and forth in the CFS2 forum! At one point I think we were both about to be banned but it was all in fun . . . SO MUCH FUN! Those days were the pinnacle of fun and laughter here at the SOH CFS2 forum . . . at least IMHO. :icon_lol:
Here's to you Daddy Dirt:ernae: wherever you are!

Has no one been in touch with Dirtman and asked him for whatever files he may still have regarding the project?

Just thinking about those good old days makes me want to get in touch with him. I will ask about the project but bear in mind he may not have everything that was supposed to go into the project. Some of the SOH members who were active a couple of years ago, but are no longer, could probably tell us what happened to the files from that unfinished project. If you know who they are, try to get in touch with them and maybe we can upload parts of the project instead of waiting two more years for a HUGE project that will probably never get finished.

kelticheart
May 15th, 2013, 03:42
Hi Kelti,

I wasn't able to get the FS2002 Takhili Airbase to work, kept getting a CTD. I even installed the trees but still no go.

TW

Sorry, TW, I can't help you because I haven't installed any of those sceneries yet. I am only collecting all the Vietnam related materials so that, one day, I can set up a Vietnam CFS2 install.

At any rate, if a scenery bgl file creates conflicts with CFS2 engine there's nothing much that one can do, apart from storing the scenery for future reference. I also have FS2002 but it's not installed. If you happen to have it as well, I would use it to test if the scenery is any good at all. Unfortunately, not everything we download is bug-free!

Cheers!