PDA

View Full Version : Driessen D-III reborn

Andreas Becker
April 29th, 2013, 10:03
Driessen D-III, a never-flown KLM aircraft has been reborn!

That aircraft was intended to fly once for KLM, called Driessen D-III.
The history:
Around 1939 there has been a contest for a possible K.L.M. long range passenger/mail aircraft to fly non-stop from Amsterdam to Batavia, now Djakarta in Indonesia.
The contest was organized by the 'Comité Vliegtocht Nederlands Indie' (Committee Flight to Dutch India) and several (I think three) designs were judged by the Royal Dutch Institute for Engineers.
The winner of that competition was the Driessen D-III.
It was a flying wing, powered by three diesel-engines.
The design was very revolutionary for its time and even now, such an aircraft would be a stunning view at all airports.
Unfortunately , Europe was at the eve of WWII and that beautiful flying wing design never reached the production state.

My virtual aircraft is now almost finished, only some small details have to be fixed.
After correcting the bugs, I will upload it to the appropriate Flight Simmer Web pages.
It then will be flyable in MS Flight Simulator 2004 and MS Flight Simulator X.

Andreas

Jagdflieger
April 29th, 2013, 11:13
Wow! I never knew that this airplane existed or was planned. Thanks for the effort on finally getting it into the sky.

Andreas Becker
April 29th, 2013, 12:13
Wow! I never knew that this airplane existed or was planned. Thanks for the effort on finally getting it into the sky.

Yeah, it did not exist and was actually also not planned. It was a suggestion of KLM for a new long range aircraft. Actually, nothing more than that sketch below exists about that bird.
Well, I've tried to fetch the best out of this meager stuff!!

Best wishes

Andreas

SSI01
April 29th, 2013, 15:55
Thank you, Andreas, for this most unusual aircraft.

The frontal view in the engineering drawings brings to mind the transport aircraft in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."