PDA

View Full Version : Copying movie files to a USB drive..slowwww

Navy Chief
April 29th, 2013, 05:14
Occasionally I copy files from my PC to a USB flash drive, so I can play them through a port on my DVD player.

If the files are music, photo, or document types, the transfer speed to my usb drive is fast. But if I transfer a movie, the copy time is MUCH longer: several minutes. Why? I'm using 2.0 USB ports. It's not really that big of a problem; I'm mostly curious about this.

Anyone have some info on this? Thanks. NC

kilo delta
April 29th, 2013, 08:07
What USB drive are you using? They all differ in their transfer (read/write) speeds. Even try pick up a USB 3.0 drive and use that as the transfer speeds will generally be much faster even when connected to the USB 2 ports.

Navy Chief
April 29th, 2013, 08:39
What USB drive are you using? They all differ in their transfer (read/write) speeds. Even try pick up a USB 3.0 drive and use that as the transfer speeds will generally be much faster even when connected to the USB 2 ports.

Interesting that you mention 3.0. I did, in fact, purchase a USB 3.0 card. But I don't have a spare power cord from the mb for it! As for my USB drive, it is a Kingston DT 101 G2, 8gb. Weird thing is, I am able to transfer 1.5 gb of music in seconds, but one 500mb movie takes several minutes. Why? NC

kilo delta
April 29th, 2013, 08:47
The write speeds are pretty slow for that particular drive,hence the long transfer times..

http://usbflashspeed.com/8Gb

stiz
April 29th, 2013, 08:59
also the sheer size difference, music and other docs are (mostly) under 20mb if that, movie files can be upwards of several gig, so of course its gonna take a few mins longer. Its also quicker to transfer loads of smaller files than 1 big one (up to a point mind you) :engel016:

Navy Chief
April 29th, 2013, 09:23
Thanks! NC