PDA

View Full Version : power supply change

moxie5
January 10th, 2009, 13:22
i just installed a new (better) power supply in my hp. It's an OKIA ATX
450 watt. The PS i took out was only a 300W. When i was flying online, the fan wound up like a jet engine. I don't know exactly which fan, it might have been the one on the NVidia GeForce 7300GT. The air coming out of the case did not feel hot, but any new phisical noise like that makes me nervous. Whaddya think? Thanks

waco
January 10th, 2009, 15:57
Some fans are variable speed, depending on the amount of load on the system. Others are constant speed. Check your HP specs.

moxie5
January 11th, 2009, 11:16
Waco, thanks for your reply. I'v had this HP since around 2005, and have been running it on the original PS of only 300W. The new one may have a variable speed fan, or mabey it's the extra fan that a friend secured to the heat sinks on the board. At any rate, i was surprised when it spooled up....it actually started when i had a screen freeze, and that is an effect that i haven't seen very often. I figured that i would see much less of that sort of thing, since a better graphics card, and PS. Suggestions or recommendations?

stansdds
January 11th, 2009, 12:19
Sounds like a variable speed and something got real hot real fast, leading to the fan spooling up and the screen freezing.

waco
January 11th, 2009, 19:40
I hope you got plenty of clearance inside the case for air movement. Try running the rig with the side panel off so you can keep an eye on the fans inside.

Baywing
January 12th, 2009, 06:09
To be clear, is the fan noise after the PS replacement or you replaced the PS because of the fan noise?
Are you running a P4 Hyperthread CPU? They are power hogs and run hot. If your vid card has it's own fan and there is an additional one on the CPU, the old PS was likely overloaded. I have a couple of Dells from the same era and their 305W PS's just won't cut it for fans on vid cards or extra loading. it could be that the fans finally have the power they need to run. Lock ups can raise the temp of the CPU, you might try a CPU temp monitoring utility, there are several free ones out there.

moxie5
January 13th, 2009, 08:04
Thanks all for replies! No, i'm not running a hyperthread. I ran it with the side panel off, and, of course it did not freeze, or heat up, or spool up that way. Two minutes of flying online with the cover on caused the freeze/spool up. It is the small "add-on" fan that the techi screwed onto the cpu heat sink that was spooling up......Mabey a larger fan? Thnx.

waco
January 13th, 2009, 15:30
What I have on the cpu of my older machine is a heat pipe assembly that also incorporates a fan. That'll disperse heat faster than the standard heat sink. This on an old AMD 939 socket mobo.