PDA

View Full Version : Out for the count again...

winslow33
January 10th, 2009, 13:17
:help:
Today I re-installed Windows XP. (SP2) First, setup claimed that the CD wasnt in the drive but it was. Fixed that by taking it out and putting it in the second CD-ROM drive. Then, I made a new partion on the hard drive. Try to format it and setup says that the hard drive isn't installed right.:isadizzy: So after a few tries I manage to format it (cant remember wether it was with FAT or NTFS though.) Began installing Windows and all was fine and dandy until it's done and restarts... Part way through startup it froze.:faint: I tried to restart again, but it just kept freezing. Managed to start it in Safe Mode. Went through all the troubleshooters, but nothing works. Any ideas? I'm thinking the hard drive is broken but dont want to buy a new one unless I have to....:173go1:
And to think I just wasted $200 on the thing yesterday!:faint:
One more major problem with that computer and I'm planning on taking out anything good like the power supply and disk drives and re-building it from the ground up...

Thanks in advance!

winslow33
January 10th, 2009, 15:45
Update: I tried re-installing a few minutes ago. All was well as far as setup, but it still freezes so I'm no farther ahead:faint:

Skyferret
January 11th, 2009, 01:43
It sounds like Windows is installed correctly, and there's a Hardware issue somewhere in the box. Or, Windows can't be correctly written to the HD and the rest of the Hardware in the box is okay. It's hard to say which is which.

"Safe Mode" means this: "just" enough to start Windows, no bells, no whistles, no high resolution video drivers, etc. If there is broken hardware somewhere, then the software drivers can't run them and the machine freezes. I'm only assuming this. If it is a hardware issue, it could be a multitude of things. I'm kinda leaning towards the mother board. Also, it doesn't hurt to check the BIOS for anything out of the ordinary.

Now, for the software possibilities. Perhaps Windows cannot be correctly written to the HD. During installation, everything is assigned to certain sectors. It could be that some of them are dirtied and can't be written correctly. Did you get any errors during installation? You know the ones that say "try again" or "skip it." You do have one more option; write zeros to the HD. This means all sectors will have all zeros written to them and cleaned up. You may then format next. My new HD came with a CD-ROM that allowed me to create boot diskettes and one of them had the option for writing zeros. That is how I did it once.

I know it sounds like "do it all over again", but it's worth a shot before you decide to sign it's death certificate.

Hope this helps.
Sky.

I forgot to mention, try one memory stick at a time. Maybe one of them is the culprit. Provided that each one is 256 or higher. I don't think a 128 is enough for Windows XP to start.

winslow33
January 11th, 2009, 06:08
Well, I'll try that. I have to do both memory sticks because I only have 258MB with both of them....
Thanks.

winslow33
January 11th, 2009, 08:21
I can't figure out how to write all 0's to my hard drive... It didnt come with a CD if only because it was already with my computer, and i bought it used. It's a Maxtor. Just on a guess, earlier today I popped the problematic hard drive into my Windows 98 in the second hard drive/ spare ports. I got a "blue screen of death". take out the HD and its ok. I had it selected as a Slave device, and did it the same one other time to copy over some huge files and it worked. On Tuesday I'm going to try to borrow a spare hard drive from my friend and try that before I look at motherboards or memory.
And just to think I put in a speaker system yesterday for my music on that machine!:faint:

winslow33
January 11th, 2009, 10:35
Update: I went into safe mode again and disabled all non-essential hardware. Managed to get to the Desktop, but it still freezes after about 5 seconds.

Skyferret
January 11th, 2009, 13:38
I came across these. I did not read all of them thoroughly but perhaps they could be of help.

Note: Seagate acquired Maxtor.

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/writing-0s/11246.html

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=95f0781e73d5d010VgnVCM100000dd 04090aRCRD&locale=en-US

You might be able to download a utility for a diskette to write zeros.

The first link shows discussions on what I mentioned about a HD being dirtied or messed up.

voyager
January 11th, 2009, 13:45
I can't give any suggestions about your problem other than to try some of the other forums for help. I don't think that everyone visits here too often.

Skyferret
January 11th, 2009, 13:50
Winslow: One thing I forgot to ask. Did XP actually run fine with such a small amount of memory before?

winslow33
January 11th, 2009, 13:55
Thanks for the links! I'll try that in a few moments.
I guess posting it in another forum wouldnt be a bad idea if this doesnt work...:typing:
Now I know how annoying a broken computer really can be:faint:

winslow33
January 11th, 2009, 15:24
Yes, It ussually works fine on 256MB for a while. Been like this since I got it 'bout a year back. The less stuff I have on the computer, the faster it is. Typically, I just have CFS and all my design utilities on it. Every few months I have to reinstall XP though because it slows down over time. I left it for a year and in the end it took 20 minutes to boot... Runs nice and fast for a while though after a fresh OS install. That's how the guy sold it to me- Nice and fast. Didnt think it would slow down for no reason then! I WAS thinking of investing in external RAM or just plain rebuilding it before this happened...

I tried the second link you posted... I need to install the program on a computer with a diskette drive. I downloaded it and ran off to the problematic computer to install it in safe mode. Had to try on it because that's the only machine I have right now with a diskette drive. It claims that it can't be installed in safe mode. So I'm kinda frustrated now. Got something that looks promising but can't install the thing! I'll try doing some research later to see if I can find any other ways to writing zero's onto the drive.

winslow33
February 6th, 2009, 14:20
Well, I just managed to burn an ISO onto a CD containing a program to write all zero's to the Hard Drive finaly..... that ran OK. Formated and installed Windows XP SP2 again. When the install was finished and it went to restart, it froze up during startup again. I guess that didnt help...:faint:

Skyferret
February 7th, 2009, 01:40
Well my friend, it sounds like a hardware issue. At least you were able to nuke (write zeros) the disk and successfully format as well as reinstall. This tells me that there is nothing wrong with your HD (but I won't completely rule it out). At this point, it's hard to say where the problem is. It could be anything.

I'm kinda leaning toward the amount of memory you have. However, you did mention that it managed to run before with only 256 Megs. I don't mean to discuss the memory issue to far when perhaps the motherboard is the problem, but one last suggestion. If you can start in safe mode, go to msconfig and disable all non essential start-up items. There may not be many, but if this manages to keep windows from locking up, then it is a memory issue. Also, look back at any (if any) changes you made, be it the slightist.

I know you don't like the thought of having to go buy more stuff for a system that will eventually become an organ-doner. You did mention rebuilding as an option. So lets say you did buy more memory and that didn't work, you could leave it on the shelf until lets say you found an empty new motherboard.

So enough about the memory thing.
Other possibilities.
Power supply. Could be a leaky capacitor causing erratic voltage.
The CPU could be defective.
The list goes on.

The amount of time spent going through the entire system with a volt meter is probably equal to the time spent rebuilding a new one.

Good luck with it.
Sky.

waco
February 10th, 2009, 12:51
Winslow, I thought I told you this in another discussion here. What's happening, I believe, is because XP SP2 hasn't any SATA controller drivers in it. I had a install failure, too. The work around is to download SP3 from the MS OEM builder's web page then slipstream it into an ISO image of XP SP2. Then burn the result onto a CD. Nero will burn an ISO image. Windows will then install fully and initialize because SP3 has those drivers. Here's two web sites that explain.

http://paparadit.blogspot.com/2007/06/installing-sata-hard-drive-with-windows.html

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

winslow33
March 19th, 2009, 17:17
Well, I started tinkering again on the old machine. I did the slipstreaming SP3 to my XP installation, but with no luck. After that I put it away until I needed it. So it's been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for almost a month until yesterday. I happened to be fortunate enough to have been given a box of old parts (and a nice new case). Among the goodies was a new motherboard that I used to replace mine, hook everything good up, and close up the case. I boot it up and what do you know, Windows XP sprigs to life at last.:friday::woot:
Hopefully soon if it keeps running I'll buy the gear to hook it to our wireless network and get some internet again.:typing:

Skyferret
March 20th, 2009, 00:30
Good to hear. Did this box of goodies come with a couple of memory sticks? Would be nice to have more that 256 Meg. Windows just hates having it's back bumper dragging on the ground.

Did you ever wonder just how much loads and runs in the background that you don't see. Type this in the "run" command.......services.msc

Everything that is listed as "automatic" loads when you start.

Sky.

winslow33
March 21st, 2009, 18:36
:wave:
Here's a picture of the new machine with the cover off for all who care. Yeah, I know the power supply should go INSIDE the case, but there was 2 problems:
-The screw holes were in the wrong spots
-It's too long- it won't fit without removing the CD drive.

So rather than buy a new power supply, I bolted it onto the outside of the case, with the air vent facing the hole where the Power supply SHOULD go to suck out the air... I also have 3 other fans incase this doesn't cool it right. It was the only place the power supply would fit. Besides, it's going under the desk so it's not as unsightly as it might appear.

And no, sadly there isn't any RAM in the box. I'm trying to find some though...:typing:

I know how crazy it might look in the pictures. It's not as weird in person. Besides, i have TONS of room now for expansion.:woot: