PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Devildog73
April 28th, 2013, 08:43
I don't know about the rest of you all, but I am NOT impressed.

We bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and Office 2010.

It is a difficult system despite the hype of how great it is.

Just my 2 cents.

DD73

glh
April 28th, 2013, 10:02
In a similar vein, I have found no reason to change from Windows XP Pro on my systems.

That operating system does everything I need it to do.

Naismith
April 28th, 2013, 10:34

Just my 2 cents.

DD73
I think that is the general consensus.

Odie
April 28th, 2013, 10:40
I think that is the general consensus.

I'm in glh's camp. My XP box is my internet media machine and my gaming PC is running Vista 64. So far,
they handle most everything I throw at them.

I did read/hear that if you use the 3rd party CLASSIC SHELL app to bring back the classic interface, it does
make Win8 a little easier to navigate. There's also supposed to be a new service pack headed out that will
do some changes as well, hopefully for the better.

PRB
April 28th, 2013, 10:52
I just bought a new laptop yesterday, and was all prepared to not like Windows 8, based on everything I've heard about it. Were I not in such a hurry, I would probably have ordered a Mac of some sort. To my surprise, I find I like it just fine. Once I got it all configured the way I wanted it, removing all the unwanted software and "apps" from the "apps" page, I'm ok with it. Some things, like setting folder viewing options, are actually easier than in any previous version of Windows. Even the "apps" front end, which I knew I would hate, I'm fine with after getting rid of all the useless stuff. And it's easy to go right to the "traditional" desktop.

waco
April 28th, 2013, 11:13
I find I like Win 7 for some things, streaming and newer sims, but revert back to XP Pro for all my favorite sims. They're older like me. One thing I've definitely given up is 32 bit operating systems. 64 bit and 16Gb or memory is all I'll build. I tried Vista but didn't like it. My older son tried the developer's version of 8 and didn't like it. He's in IT somewhat, so that was good enough for me. Whadaya wanna bet that Win 9 will be a keeper. Every other version by M$ seems to be a loser, doncha think?

arfyhun
April 28th, 2013, 11:49
I too was going to update from XP but Vista's antics made me hold on to my money. Since Vista was quietly 'updated ', to use a pun, I have become The Fool On The Hill.

Graham.

WarHorse47
April 28th, 2013, 11:59
Some day, history will repeat itself and Microsoft will no longer support the older operating systems like XP and Win7. As I discovered awhile back if you are looking to get a new computer already packaged with software and with the latest hardware, your only option is to go with Win8.

I've been with Win8 since January. Overall it seems more stable and has more features than XP or Win7, but I've also had my share of headaches as well. Most of my computer time is spent with the Desktop, so why they have that stupid Start Menu with all the apps is beyond me.

The biggest headache with Win8 is that, despite what they say, not all older applications run with Win8. I reinstalled FS9 and it runs fine under Win8; however, many of the utilities I used on my old XP machine will not run. If anyone can get Aircraft Container Manager (ACM) to run under Win8, please share your secret.

I always hope that things can only get better if MS continues its practice of patches and Service Packs.

Dumonceau
April 28th, 2013, 12:39

Just my 2 cents.

DD73

I'm inclined to agree... I work as a system and network engineer, and we decided to skip windows 8. Windows 7 64 bit is doing all we need. The kernel of Windows 8 might be great, but if they do not revert to the desktop and the start menu, we don't need it.

Also, the accessibility of the different functions using the metro interface is a nightmare. M$ shot themselves in the foot again. XP was great, Vista a nightmare, 7 is great, 8 a nightmare. Seems to be their release cycle...

And for my gaming needs, I need nothing more than my trusty Win7 64bit Enterprise. IMHO it is the best OS Mickey$oft ever produced!!

Dumonceau

AussieMan
April 28th, 2013, 15:31
I am with Paul (PRB) on this. I am using Windows 8 and love it. My computer boots at least 4 times faster than previous and I still have a desktop similar to what I had with Windows 7.

If you click on the button in the bottom left hand corner you can create a desktop like you previously had.

This is my current desktop.

Willy
April 28th, 2013, 17:05
Still a XP luddite here.

rocketred
April 28th, 2013, 18:22
win8 intel guts etc....

yes cn be a bit confusing at first few online tutorials ,,, bingo ... works fast and fine and once you config what you how you want is like a iphone with apps

i run eto/cfs3/ pto . and some other gaming addons

and trade my stocks off it

what i will say use dual monitors with larger higher resolutions on screens

bottom line .....loved xp - win7- good - win8 faster , but again you need to take a few tutorials ... i got a good one form a young geek and saved and set up my life again for win8

joshua

canada

Wulf190
April 28th, 2013, 19:19
I currently dual boot XP pro and 7pro. 95% pf the time I use 7pro because of school and such, XP is my gaming OS. I have been kicking the idea of not forming a drive with XP when I reformat my machine. It is a headache working with two OS, and when I upgrade my systems hardware (if I do) chances are very good XP won't be supported.

XP is grea, but its time is running out.