PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Bombay repaint ready.

jinx
April 27th, 2013, 05:36
I have finished my Bristol Bombay repaint--the model is by William Dickens and it flies in all the civil sims also, fs9, and fsx, and fs2002.

The original was without panel lines and without any weathering.

The net revealed they were very dirty, with grime and oil over the wings and under them too, streaming backwards.
I will upload a file with two repaint versions, one that is very dirty, and one that is lightly dirtied, so that one can choose to have one or both.

As today is my daughter's birthday, the upload will be some time tomorrow.

Meanwhile, try and get the Dickens original if you are interested.

I attach a screenshot of the heavily weathered one, with the wing unders simlarly dirtied over the azure blue color.
The cowl rings also have some weathering and dirt, not visible here. The panel lines and paintchip scratches etc are also not visible here but you will see them when you fly it.

Nick

Jagdflieger
April 27th, 2013, 09:07
Jinx,

You are a skilled painter at several levels, both on canvas and with pixels.

Rami
April 28th, 2013, 11:35
Jinx,

This is outstanding, I will approve the upload when I see it! :salute:

Seagull V
April 29th, 2013, 15:06
Jinx

Lovely work !!!!!!

Being in the desert which also causes fading, would it be possible for the shine effect to be reduced a bit ? (Model shine may need to be adjusted)

Also when I have been doing some of my repaints in PSP, I make a layer which is all white, I then reduce the transperancy effect until it gives the paint scheme a realistic faded look. Depending on the aircraft color scheme a grey or black can also work, best to try a few things until you get something you are happy with. I normally have the panel lines above the 'fade layer' so they can be adjusted to get the best looking result. Only a suggestion if you have not tried it already. PM me if you have not used layers in PSP before, they make a huge difference when doing pixel painting.

Please keep those repaints coming, the more repainters the better !!!!!!!

Regards, SGV

jinx
April 30th, 2013, 16:10
Thanks to all for the comments.
I work in Photoshop, and not in PaintSshop Pro (if PSP is that...).

I cannot do alpha channels, though I have tried, and have read all tutorials and none of them was clear enough to help me. I have all of the Martin Wright programs also, bar none.
If someone can reduce the shine, I can send the textures and he can help out.

I have not uploaded it yet as I am thinking of adding a 2nd version with the older, earlier, larger fin flashes.

Nick

jinx
April 30th, 2013, 16:13
Seagull V,

I do the same with opacity layers, though here they were only on the national markings, roundels and fin flashes.
Your placement of the panel lines above those layers is a good idea, I will try it and see.

I have no idea how to remove the model shine--I know only the alpha channel way exists. Is there another way or a tool?

Thanks for the tip.

Nick

Seagull V
April 30th, 2013, 21:29
Hello Jinx

The person who got me hooked on repaints was SteveB when he sent me his layered kit for the Ju-52 when there were a few of us working on Rami's Ju-52 upgrade project. This had multiple layers from a base, different camouflage colour layers, decal layers, detail layers, various weathering layers and so on. My first attempt after that was more SteveB's work with me changing a few things, but once I got the hang of it I quickly moved ahead. Having everything on different layers can take a little extra time to set up, and extra care while working, but is well woth it when you have your template set-up, you can then fairly quickly do a number of repaints from it.

SteveB is one of the Guru's along with many others, I classify myself as out of the apprenticeship but still working towards that elite Guru status.

Yes I work in Paint Shop Pro, I have X5 and X2 installed but find that X2 runs better on lower performance computers.
Photoshop should still have plenty of punch for pixel painting.

For adjusting the model shine you will need a tool called MDLC by Ivan Hsu.
Look for Mk_Mdl_Ver 2.0+.zip - provided by Morton ( Many thank you's to both Ivan and Morton !!!!!!!)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=49

You will need to tick the box s/ Set visual model shining
Click on the Example icon to the right to get an idea of what the Shining model adjustments do.
Adjust Specular RGB to suit - suggest 0.1 for the desert Bombay (the lower the number the more dull it will look)
Adjust Specular power to suit - suggest 10 for the desert Bombay (for an even dull look across the whole aircraft - however try a few combinations and see what you think)

After you have done the conversion it will save it as a filename.MDS file, make a backup/save to a backup folder your original filename.MDL, then change the .MDS to .MDL. Go for a flight and see what you think.

For high gloss aircraft you can also change the Specular RGB & power to get some very bright effects especially in full sun.

Any problems let me know.

Rami - any problems with Jinx uploading a modified MDL file with his repaint as long as full credits are given to William Dickens for his wonderful model ?????

Regards, SGV

jinx
April 30th, 2013, 23:58
Seagull,

Thanks for the help. I will download that file and try it out.
I may have had something similar or the same many years ago, as I recall. It had given me some trouble then, will see this time around.

Thanks

jinx
May 1st, 2013, 01:19
Seagull.

:salute:I run that mdl program and did as you said, with the settings you mentioned.
Then I renamed the mds file to mdl, after first deleting an mdl file that was in the model folder.
Flew it, and it seems to have less of a shine now.
I attach an image.
It remains now to enhance the general weathering a bit and add earlier-style larger fin flashes.

I have also made a panel for it, but I do not know if I will upload it as I do not remember where I got stuff from.

Thanks

Nick

watchdog22
May 1st, 2013, 02:02
I am curious of finding a way to change the colour of the framing of the canopy. I am doing a repaint of the Dickens Yugoslav IK3 fighter which has the same problem as the Bombay,

Cheers WD22

Seagull V
May 1st, 2013, 02:34
Jinx

Happy to be of help !!!!!!

Watchdog 22

I had a quick look at the textures for the IK3, and the canopy frame may need work by those who are expert in the dark art of SCASM.
If I find anything out as regards the textures I will PM you.

Regards, SGV

UncleTgt
May 1st, 2013, 06:53
Martin Wright's mdlmat or mdlcolour programmes will allow you to change model parts that are coloured as part of the poly.

Bit trial & error required in finding the correct model part (remember to back up your original mdl), but it can be done.

watchdog22
May 1st, 2013, 22:23
Thanks UT, I'll give it a try