PDA

View Full Version : an idea....maybe good..maybe a flop,Icky?

Daveroo
April 26th, 2013, 10:21
******** had asked to keep the donation paypal thing open so he could help with Falcon409's computer issues.which made me think ( and yes,i have a headache now),Ikie,could you have a "Friends in need" button or something simular,where when some of us who dont know better to keep it in our bank accounts ,could drop a $5,$10,$20,or whatever in to a account that could be fore SOH members?.....

i know that there could be the issue of..."man im short this month..i really want that plane,but i cant afford it,and ive donated to the "fund",Ikie let me borrow from the fund"....well there would be none of that,it would NOT be avalible for addon planes,scenery,new FSX software or P3D,or what have you,

Rather if someones video card blows up..and the person cant afford a new one..he could apply for funds,and app-on approval of SOH mods,,,or a commity of SOH'ers like myself and others who may want to join..then ickie release said funds to that member for his or her video card,with out the pressure of being to he or she must return the money at a certin time.....id like to say that the people who contibute be the people who are eligable for assistance...but that would deffeet the point.....i would jast ask..if you need help from the fund...repay the fund by donating in the future.

one final thought....would it even be legal to have a "fund" like this set up? and just sitting there waiting....BTW i would say it would be used as a last resort,to fill in for lacking funds in the yealry SOH bandwidth fund drive...but not as a replacement of it...keep both sperate...

if it were me...id set up two fund..one for bandwidth,and one for SOH members emergency computer issues,and i personally would set up $10 a month ,$5 to each ,as in the past 4 months..ive had FOUR very nice things done for me here,one was reciently and fairly noticable,but the other three were done behind the sceens and im not at liberty to comment further.....but i feel its time i tried to do something to try and help in the long run..

Daveroo
April 26th, 2013, 15:09
guess it aint so good.....

Roger
April 26th, 2013, 15:28
Dave, I think we'll take any case on it's merits. Ed's case was extreme in that without help he was sunk and Ed has added a lot to our community.

Ickie
April 26th, 2013, 15:34
like roger said, it is a lot of work and paperless paperwork to run these things.
I have enough to do, lol

Daveroo
April 26th, 2013, 19:02
well was just a thought.......:pop4:

Mickey D
April 28th, 2013, 08:48
well was just a thought.......:pop4: No Dave it was a very good thought and one which I also have had. In fact I suggested when Ickie's roof leaked onto his computer that Sim Outhouse should set up a shop which would finance the site without going around members cap in hand every year and have enough left over to accomodate what you are suggesting. I know this from our own sales at Flightsim.com Pilotshop and the large gaps between the order numbers and the rate at which the O/N sequence advances. So I have a pretty good idea of the income for Flightsim Pilot Shop. But the idea was shot down. The excuse being it would be too much trouble but a successful store could afford to finacially re-inburse someone to run it.

Fortunately I have a self-financing hobby. My modest share from Team SDB scenery pays for my equipment and it's upkeep but I ask this question of the "management". If a paid up member in any other part of the world eg. UK, New Zealand, in fact anywhere other than the USA, finds himself in difficult circumstances would the same criteria be applied when considering a request for financial help. Remember we are a global community.
I actually think not.
Now I've been banned I'll get me coat! :salute::running::icon_lol:

Roger
April 28th, 2013, 13:48
Some answers Micky:

We will never become a vendor site; we don't have adverts and we won't compromise our freedom to support products we would be selling.

If you check the "Prognosis Isn't Good" thread you'll see that after fsxar177 made the initial suggestion that SOH members might come up with a solution to Ed's problem, I (a Brit) suggested that I'd take a look see if there was a way to organise a donation page. Thereafter members came forward in support of this measure, they were Germans, Brits, a Norwegian and several Americans, so yes we are a truly global site and in this case the recipient was American. Maybe now you will see this was not an "American helps Americans" story but a global site helps a member who is very financially restricted.

I was hoping this act of charity from our most excellent membership would be taken for what it was and not distorted.

Mickey D
April 28th, 2013, 14:07
Thanks for that reply Roger. I only wanted air a few thoughts that I'm sure others have had but didn't feel like asking (I'm a Yorkie and if you don't ask you don't get to know) and I'm glad that Falcon will continue with his valuable contributions. :)

Roger
April 28th, 2013, 14:24
That's ok Mickey I'm glad it's been clarified.

Daveroo
April 28th, 2013, 14:29
what the heck is a yorkie?? well besides the dog?...(ducks the chair) :wavey:...........

did i distort it?......didnt mean too....i meant well...

Tako_Kichi
April 28th, 2013, 15:00
what the heck is a yorkie?? well besides the dog?...(ducks the chair) :wavey:...........

did i distort it?......didnt mean too....i meant well...

It could either mean that 'Mickey D' is from the UK city of York or is from the county of Yorkshire (York being the 'county town' of Yorkshire).

Judging by the line below his avatar I would say the latter and proud of it. :icon_lol:

Mickey D
April 29th, 2013, 01:27
It could either mean that 'Mickey D' is from the UK city of York or is from the county of Yorkshire (York being the 'county town' of Yorkshire).

Judging by the line below his avatar I would say the latter and proud of it. :icon_lol:

Right on the nail Tako. I didn't think it was that obvious. :icon_lol: