PDA

View Full Version : Finally...some internet speed I can live with

OBIO
April 23rd, 2013, 18:23
When I got my internet set up, the salesman said that he was setting me up with a 10meg connection for $34.21 a month (taxes and modem rent included). Great deal. But....my actual internet speed has been 2.5 to 2.9meg downloads. Not good at all. I have reset my modem a hundred times, reconfigured my on-board internet card thingie, run a zillion anti-virus/spyware sweeps to see if something nasty was killing my speeds.

Today, I got my internet bill in the mail....and I noticed that it had me down as having Basic Internet....which is a 3meg connection. Call to Time Warner, explain the whole dealio....and get told that Time Warner no longer has a 10meg connection. So.....I had been duped into the Basic Internet package thinking I was getting a great deal on a 10meg hook up.

The gal was sweet and so apologetic. She came through for me.......big time. For an additional 9 dollars a month (43.21 taxes and all included) she got me hooked up with a 15meg connection. Now, after retweaking my internet card thingie....I am getting download speeds of between 19 and 32 megs per second...with an average download speed of around 24megs per second.

I can live with these speeds.

Tim

modelr
April 24th, 2013, 06:33
Wow, congrats.
I got screwed by my company also. Windstream has done the same, sold high speed packages, then slowed everything down. I've called again and again, and keep getting the same run around. "We can set you up with another package for x amount a month more." Ok, but why do I have to keep up grading? I paid for faster speeds than you are offering me with the upgrade! I get the upgrade, get the higher speeds for an hour or so, then they slow back down!?!? When my downloads start, they start in the 15-20Meg area, but I can watch them steadily drop into the KB region. What's going on? I've bought three new modems, and they all do the same thing, so it isn't that.

I live in a section of town that has old phone lines, but they are the fourth company that has owned our small town's phone company. All four have told me that they have no immediate plans to upgrade my section of lines, which run right thru the center of town. Surprisingly, I lived in a section of town closer to downtown years ago that had BETTER speeds, and it is these same lines that feed that section. I've checked with the cable company, but since we are a small satellite town, fed by the main site 20 miles away, we don't get high speed from them. We had screaming fast wireless around ten years ago, but they dropped that. Fiber optics lines have been fed to most all towns in Iowa now, but I have been told it will never be distributed in town, to expensive! Then why pay to supply the whole state if it's not going to be used!?!?!?

av8erjm
April 24th, 2013, 07:02
If your happy then great, but I can't help to think you've been had by the ol' bait and switch, not trying to be nasty, just sayin'