PDA

View Full Version : Flightsim Question?

dougal
April 22nd, 2013, 05:20
Hi guys n gals

FSX is my only flightsim these days, but was wondering about trying something else, so thought I'd pick your brains....

I fancy trying out a combat sim. Not modern. I like WW2 era aircraft, and see a lot of freeware addons here for CFS2 and CFS3.

What would fok here sugest, and perhaps why?

cheers

KellyB
April 22nd, 2013, 05:54
Just my opinion, but CFS3 has a lot of add-ons beyond the original European Theatre. It also has a Pacific Theater in the works.

If I were getting just one, CFS3 would be it.

Ask your questions on the CFS3 forum here and you'll get a lot of helpful info, including where to get the large theater add-ons for Mediterranean (MAW), the larger in scope ETO, and Korean Skies.

Hope this helps. There is a ton of info out there. You can start with the original and start adding on.

Be careful; it may be habit forming.

IanHenry
April 22nd, 2013, 06:34
How about Rise of Flight? Just flying some of those aircraft can be a challenge, and that's before people start shooting at you! The aircraft add-ons are relatively cheap, and you can use it for free, all be it with a choice of just two aircraft, unless you decide to commit some money to it.
Sometimes when you look at the graphics and the flight models, I think it's a better simulation than FSX, it's just your restricted to WW1 aircraft.

Regards,
Ian.
PS it look like their site is down at the moment.

Jagdflieger
April 22nd, 2013, 07:38
Take a trip to the CFS 2 forum too. As you note, there are a lot of addons for this sim and it handles world wide scenarios well.

dougal
April 22nd, 2013, 07:56
Thanks guys. I know nothing at all about combat sims. Is the difference between CFS2 & CFS3 as marked as that between FS9 & FSX?

Navy Chief
April 22nd, 2013, 12:25
Hey, check out "Wings Over Vietnam"!!

NC

Sascha66
April 22nd, 2013, 13:15
Wings of Prey is pretty good although it doesn't have a dynamic campaign. The graphibs are spectacular and gameplay realistic.

arfyhun
April 22nd, 2013, 13:17
As well as CFS1 & CFS2 I like to fly: First Eagles The Great Air War 1918. All three are great if your P.C. is a bit long in the tooth. My favourite? CFS1 of course.

Graham.

Odie
April 22nd, 2013, 13:53
Don't forget about the IL2 series of sims. If I'm not mistaken, IL2: 1946 will give you the two games prior to its release on the same disk. They may be a bit dated, but they are lots of fun.