PDA

View Full Version : Day Glo - more than orange

srgalahad
April 20th, 2013, 06:44
A discussion in the FSX forum got me thinking about Day Glo paint. Yes, most of us are familiar with the "Blaze Orange" seen on civil and military test and training aircraft but did you know you might have some of their product in your home?

"DayGlo fluorescent pigments, a new class of pigments based on fluorescent dyes and polymeric materials, were developed between the 1930s and 1950s by scientists at Switzer Brothers, Inc. (now Day-Glo Color Corp.). These pigments absorb various light frequencies (visible and invisible to the human eye) and reemit them, producing intense visible colors that appear to glow, even in daylight. Switzer Brothers, Inc., introduced novel processes that eliminated the limitations in light fastness and color strength of earlier fluorescent pigments, resulting in new applications in advertising, packaging, flaw detection and safety."

"Fluorescent products of both kinds found use by the military during World War II for a variety of visual signaling purposes. UV fluorescing materials allowed Allies to use aircraft carriers at night, an advantage over the Japanese military. DayGlo fluorescent fabric panels were used by troops in North Africa to identify themselves as friendly to Allied aircraft."

"The company made inroads by marketing their products—DayGlo brand silk-screen inks, paint, and papers—to advertisers. Their first big break in packaging came in 1959 in an application that’s still known by its DayGlo colors today: Tide® detergent. Fluorescent boxes of Tide were soon on display on grocery shelves nationwide..."
More of the story here:
http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_SUPERARTICLE&node_id=813&use_sec=false&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=e3f24b38-a748-4a6f-9229-174d9801e518

http://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-Photography/DAY-GLOW-Airplane-Pictures-of/4407689_2vNFqx#!i=1367570102&k=RBrJkfF

brad kaste
April 20th, 2013, 07:30
During one hot summer in the mid-60's I worked briefly at a printing ink company in Niles Illinois. In the shipping department. I'll always remember seeing the 'special' containers of day-glow orange inks being boxed up and shipped off. For some reason it was done in another area of the plant and not with the other inks. Never understood then or now why that was so.

Jagdflieger
April 20th, 2013, 09:29
Interesting article. Day Glow, sometimes called Hunter Orange, has certainly figured in my outdoor activities from junior high school to today.

I always had a VS 17 panel in my rucksack to mark helo landing zones and our drop zone kit always had several of them to mark parachute drop zones. In addition to the military use, much of my hunting has included a Hunter Orange vest or jacket when after upland game or big game.