PDA

View Full Version : New to Prepar3D Questions

Ghostrider
April 15th, 2013, 07:30
Hey Guys,

My old faithful HD is getting very close to full, and I am upgrading to an 512G SSD. The old drive is 1TB, so I'm going to transfer just my OS (Win7/64 Pro) to the SSD, and I was thinking, FSX, all 175 Gig worth. But now, I'm thinking maybe this is good time to move into Prepar3D. I do have some questions, and I've read and tried to answer all of them that I can, so thanks for bearing with me if I ask something that's already old news.

1. Controllers - I'm big into controllers, and have quite the collection of Warthog joystick/throttle, yoke, and other 3 and 6-axis quadrants, two trim wheels, and of course rudder pedals. I have managed all of these in FSX through FSUIPC, so the right controllers are active for the right aircraft. I read that Prepar3D supports what it sounds like are the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog type of controllers. Will I still have need for FSUIPC in Prepar3D, or is that level of controller support built in? If not, will FSUIPC work with Prepar3D?

2. Weather - Do weather depiction and texture upgrade programs work, such as REX? I really like the way my FSX is looking these days, and I hope not to have to take a step backward in that area.

3. I'm also interested to hear about anyone's experience with the migrate FSX to Prepar3D tool. Moving my OS and 175 Gig worth of addons is a bit intimidating, and I'm hoping to get as smart about it as I can before I pull the trigger.

Thank you all for any and all advice, and I look forward to joining you in the Prepar3D skies!

Ghostrider
April 15th, 2013, 08:55
OK, I see where the new version of FSUIPC does support Prepar3D and REX - woohoo! Any other advice for a new install/port from FSX much appreciated!

Clutch Cargo
April 16th, 2013, 07:58
If you have add-ons you from FSX you want into P3D then plan to by the Migration Tool at the same time you by P3D. You'll want it and need it.

Also, prepare for what you'll do with all that extra space once you delete FSX! :icon_lol:

AussieMan
April 16th, 2013, 14:17
If you have add-ons you from FSX you want into P3D then plan to by the Migration Tool at the same time you by P3D. You'll want it and need it.

Also, prepare for what you'll do with all that extra space once you delete FSX! :icon_lol:
Clutch, I have ALL my FSX addons in P3D and never used the migration tool. I simply placed a copy of the FSX.exe into P3D and used the FSX Path tool to place it in the registry. ORBX Products are made or updated with dual installers so you may need to download some of those again in order to get the dual install products.

Ghostrider
April 17th, 2013, 05:52
Thanks a bunch for both of your input - I appreciate it! Now I'm trying to get the SSD to be a bootable system disk. Surprise, surprise, it wasn't quite as quick and easy as the migration program said it would be...:isadizzy:

Going from and IDE disk to AHCI seems to be a nogo so far. So I ordered an OEM Win7/64 Pro disk, just gonna start that system SSD fresh.

Spad54
April 29th, 2013, 06:45
Clutch, I have ALL my FSX addons in P3D and never used the migration tool. I simply placed a copy of the FSX.exe into P3D and used the FSX Path tool to place it in the registry. ORBX Products are made or updated with dual installers so you may need to download some of those again in order to get the dual install products.

Is all that necessary? I installed one of our recent products by redirecting the installer to the location of my P3D folder and all the bits and pieces went where they were supposed to with no problem. I have not tried and scenery add-ons yet but can't imagine they won't go in as easily as well. Am I missing something.

Lionheart
April 29th, 2013, 13:11
Is all that necessary? I installed one of our recent products by redirecting the installer to the location of my P3D folder and all the bits and pieces went where they were supposed to with no problem. I have not tried and scenery add-ons yet but can't imagine they won't go in as easily as well. Am I missing something.

ORBX scenery was a problem at first. With some addons, using their installers, you had to put a copy or fake 'FSX.exe' file in the Prepar3D folder to con the Installer to install into that folder. I had this issue again the other night with the Majestic Q-400. It didnt have a way allowed for installation into Prepar3D, so I had to do this also.

Another thing is that you can 'connect' or activate scenery in P3D in the Addon Scenery section, connecting it to scenery that is in FSX, so nothing has to be moved, unless you have certain scenery things that require installation. I think ORBX has this, where it has background programs that manage/run all their scenery/flow things like moving trees, etc.

AussieMan
April 29th, 2013, 14:47
Spad,

There are a few aircraft that actually look for FSX in the registry. A2A and Captain Sim are 2 that come to mind. Early Carenado were the same but now they have moved to dual installers.

Lionheart
May 1st, 2013, 11:28
On my installers, I now offer optional FSX or P3D installations. If they have both simulators, then they just run the installer again and select the next sim to install into.

<-- still using the antique ClickTeam.. :S