PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Tracks 1 and 2

FSX68
April 13th, 2013, 16:56
When following the read me directions for David Scott Wilson-Okamura's carrier tracks 1 & 2 it says the following:

If you want to make your own saved flights that begin on the carriers, I have two suggestions. First, after you save your flight, edit the .flt file with Notepad and change the line "SimOnGround=True" to "SimOnGround=False". Otherwise you'll start in the water and always crash. Second, pause your flight before saving; or, if you forget, edit the .flt file so that "Pause=True" under [Options]

I followed that to a "T" and switched to DIno's F14 and saved it as per above. When I went to reload the saved flight, the F14 would be just aft
of the round down over the water and I had to slew it forward just enough to be on the deck. I went to the Saved.flt file for this and the
simonground was changed back to=True. It changed back automatically. :isadizzy:

dswo
April 13th, 2013, 17:57
I wish I could remember how to fix this, but for the last year and a half I've been playing music when I should be simming. The easiest fix, I'm guessing, is to make a copy of the .flt file and edit with notepad. Specifically, look for these lines:

[Sim.0]
Sim=Boeing T-45C VT-23

That's a flight with Dino's Goshawk. Depending on the flight, it might be a different aircraft, so just search for [Sim.0]. Now, in place of the aircraft in that line you want to substitute the name of your new aircraft as found in the title= line of that aircraft's aircraft.cfg file. For example, if you wanted to load an Aerosoft Twin Otter you would open the Otter's aircraft.cfg file and look for a line like

[FLTSIM.0]
title=de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter BA

Copy that title to the clipboard (de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter BA) and paste it into your .flt file so that it reads:

[Sim.0]
Sim=de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter BA

That should work, but I'm rusty and may be forgetting something.

FSX68
April 13th, 2013, 18:33
I wish I could remember how to fix this, but for the last year and a half I've been playing music when I should be simming. The easiest fix, I'm guessing, is to make a copy of the .flt file and edit with notepad. Specifically, look for these lines:

[Sim.0]
Sim=Boeing T-45C VT-23

That's a flight with Dino's Goshawk. Depending on the flight, it might be a different aircraft, so just search for [Sim.0]. Now, in place of the aircraft in that line you want to substitute the name of your new aircraft as found in the title= line of that aircraft's aircraft.cfg file. For example, if you wanted to load an Aerosoft Twin Otter you would open the Otter's aircraft.cfg file and look for a line like

[FLTSIM.0]
title=de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter BA

Copy that title to the clipboard (de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter BA) and paste it into your .flt file so that it reads:

[Sim.0]
Sim=de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter BA

That should work, but I'm rusty and may be forgetting something.

David,

The sentence that precedes the one I pasted reads:

If you'd like to alter a saved flight to use a different aircraft, you can use one of two methods. One is to load the flight, switch your preferred aircraft, and resave the flight. The other method, which requires a little more knowledge, is to open the folder where your FSX flights are saved and locate the appropriate FLT file (e.g., "Carrier Guantanamo Bay.FLT"). Open it for editing in Notepad, and look for lines like the following:

[Sim.0]
Sim=FA-18 Hornet 6

Replace "FA-18 Hornet 6" (or whatever you find there) with the Title of your preferred aircraft, as found in the Title line of the aircraft's aircraft.cfg file. If method #2 doesn't make sense to you, use method #1.

That was one option. When I went to my saved flight, the Sim.0 had Dino's F14 already there.

ALL in all it's a pretty slick program for allowing flights to begin on Nimitz or Ike. When I load the stock San Diego flight, it lands on the carrier
with a quick lurch forward and with a little input from me, I can restrain it to a complete storp. It is from there that I shut down the F18 to a
cold and dark status then load the F-14 and save it as per direction. After completing the steps the F-14 wants to sit a little high and in a
almost arrested landing or it may just appear to hover aft of the carrier over the water just short of where I saved it at.

Curious about Lamont Clark's AI Boat Traffic Compiler (AIBTC), if it will do better job of saving/creating a carrier flight like the others that came
with Carrier tracks 1 & 2? Thanks.

EDIT: It looks like if I load the stock San Diego track and after landing I switch over the the F14 and save it (no name changes) and then reload that stockSan Diego that had the F18 to begin with, the F-14 will be substituted for the F-18. Now I was trying to load the stock San Diego
and change/save it with a different A/C and then it would load like you see in picture above. I got the impression that I could
save the flight with my own name i.e Carrier - San Diego F14 and would get a different flight. I do but it's not loading the plane
where it was saved at - on the flight deck.

dswo
April 14th, 2013, 02:00
Getting flights to save with the carrier on deck is tricky; there's a gap between what should happen and what does. The surest but least intuitive method is probably to edit the .flt file in notepad and change the aircraft name. Lamont Clark's is powerful, but it just schedules the boat; it doesn't create flights. The trickiest thing about this whole project, actually, was making the flights: first finding the carriers -- even when I knew their routes and schedules! -- performing a landing, and then testing the saved flight to make sure I was still on deck. Lots of trial and error...

fxsttcb
April 14th, 2013, 03:28
I posted this info in the Uss Enterprise scenery thread and I'll also put it here.

You can have a saved flight "Parked" on a carrier and have it load correctly. It just takes a little time and effort.
As long as you save a flight on a carrier with dedicated track(scenery traffic.bgl), it should work. AI Carriers injected ships are not on a dedicated track and will not show up.

Get aboard! Slew, Trap, however. Shut the bird down. Cold and Dark, Parking Brakes Locked. Paused or not. Save the Flight.

Open the *.FLT file in Notepad, verify and/or change:

[Options]
Pause=False

[SimVars.0]
PVelBodyAxis=0
BVelBodyAxis=0
HVelBodyAxis=0
XVelBodyAxis=0
YVelBodyAxis=0
ZVelBodyAxis=0
SimOnGround=False

Any value other than "0" in the *VelBodyAxis= lines imparts motion. Exactly what we don't want when parked. Save it and load it. It will have moved. Don't despair!
Go to Top Down View. Slew mode. Ctrl+Space(orients the plane to North heading).
Open the *.FLT file in Notepad again.

[SimVars.0]
Latitude=N24° 49' 35.75"
Longitude=E56° 57' 50.65"
Heading=160.17324893462592

A 00.01" Second change will move the plane roughly a foot. Heading is self explanitory.
In Top Down View, oriented North, you can visualize the direction and distance you want it to move to it's parked position. +Lat=Fwd, +Lon=Right
It's good idea to keep a temp copy of the original coords in another instance of notepad. Quick to go back, in case.
Make your adjustments, and Save it. Until you've done it a few times, it will take a few adjustments to precisely spot the plane.

If you like the results, and don't want to have to go through all of the spotting for another aircraft on the same carrier, same track, you can duplicate it.
Copy the *.FLT, *.FSSAVE, and *.WX to desktop. Give it a new name, cut/paste back into ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files.
Open the *.FLT in notepad and change:
[Main]
Title=New Name of file
Ex: Title=Grumman F-14D VF-114 Parked USS Enterprise CVN-65 Gulf of Oman, becomes; Title=Vought F-8B VMF-251 Parked USS Enterprise CVN-65 Gulf of Oman

and as noted previously...
[Sim.0]
Sim= //Change to the aircraft.cfg Title= line of the target aircraft.
Ex: Sim=F-14D Tomcat VF-114 becomes; Sim=ALPHA F-8 Crusader VMF-251

The only difference I have seen, in duplicated flights, is a slight change in aircraft position due to the visual model's reference points not being the same...Don

mjrhealth
April 14th, 2013, 04:14
Hi it would be nice to have some of those saved flight available in zip file. Might do my brain in.

Thanks

FSX68
April 14th, 2013, 05:03
[QUOTE=fxsttcb;798039]I posted this info in the Uss Enterprise scenery thread and I'll also put it here.

[SimVars.0]
Latitude=N24° 49' 35.75" >>>>> Don't see the middle value (49') in red while flying
Longitude=E56° 57' 50.65" >>>>> Ditto (57)
Heading=160.17324893462592

I went thru the steps as you noted however, the Lat/Lon coords you show have a middle value that is NOT indicated in red in the upper left screen while flying.
Those values are obviously part of the coord but if I can't see them, it's close but no cigar when I go to fly. The nimitz is moving (as I noted) and when I re entered the flt dk
coord and lock and load the plane is now a hoverbird and the Nimitz (as I pan to it's right) is steaming along at about 20` knots. Such a deal.....

Guess it'll be a quest for me. Thanks for your help :engel016:

SkippyBing
April 14th, 2013, 05:58
Note that the Lat/Lon values you see with Ctrl+Z are decimal degrees, whereas in the saved flight they're degrees minutes and seconds. It's the same information just a different way of presenting it, there are online convertors available. Also I don't think having zero velocity is necesary in the saved flight, if you're on a moving carrier you will have the same velocity as it, certainly I've not had any problems leaving it in.

FSX68
April 14th, 2013, 06:15
If you like the results, and don't want to have to go through all of the spotting for another aircraft on the same carrier, same track, you can duplicate it.
Copy the *.FLT, *.FSSAVE, and *.WX to desktop. Give it a new name, cut/paste back into ...\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files.
Open the *.FLT in notepad and change:
[Main]
Title=New Name of file
Ex: Title=Grumman F-14D VF-114 Parked USS Enterprise CVN-65 Gulf of Oman, becomes; Title=Vought F-8B VMF-251 Parked USS Enterprise CVN-65 Gulf of Oman

I tried the above approach to creating a new saved flight to load by using the 3 known good files for the basic San Diego area, and using above info, I used Dino's F14 (VF 114 repaint)
It works, but the image is blurry. Any way to get a sharper image of this plane?