PDA

View Full Version : Hey X-Plane Enthusiasts

txnetcop
January 10th, 2009, 01:34
I have to admit after listening to Austin's goals for 2009, the new Winter textures and scenery addons to come, and a few other items I listed as essential being addressed, X-Plane is the new frontier. It doesn't take away from the magnificence of Microsoft FS as far as I am concerned, it's just one more simulator to fly. Anyway I thought you guys might like to see this.

http://data.x-plane.com/
Ted

Helldiver
January 10th, 2009, 03:58
I watched the movie and at first I thought that it might be my eyes, everything looked a little out of focus. I checked with my wife and she felt the same. But after looking at it, X-Plane offers some things that Flight Simulator doesn't. When you consider that it is the efforts of one man, Austin Meters, with contributions from users. - They even actually show a PBY with a nose turret!
It occured to me if X-Plane had the same support as Microsoft Flight Simulators had, it would quickly bury Microsofts efforts.
Suffice to say that the Air Force Academy chose X-Plane over FSX for training purposes since X-Plane was developed from a flight dynamics standpoint and not from the visual content as in Flight Simulator.
Since it's relatively inexpensive, I believe it behooves everybody to invest in X-Plane and possibly unseat Microsoft's lead in Flight Simulator.
Just watch the movie down on the right hand side of the page. Make your own judgement.

stiz
January 10th, 2009, 05:53
its deffenitly come a long way :applause:

Lionheart
January 10th, 2009, 08:47
Thanks Ted for the heads up. I hadnt seen that webpage before.

:wiggle:

There is massive potential in XP9.

Bill

Wiens
January 10th, 2009, 09:08
I purchased XP9 several months ago @ Walmart on sale. I've installed it and have tried to fly. I didn't like it, but in the spirit of a new year I will give it another go. I may even look into a Mac to fly Xplane!!!! :rapture:

HellDiver, I noticed the blurries in the XPlane video also; may be a product of the video quality and not totally reflective of Xplane. Off to explore Xplane..........

Kevin :d

Panther_99FS
January 10th, 2009, 13:24
Interesting observation/theory....

It occured to me if X-Plane had the same support as Microsoft Flight Simulators had, it would quickly bury Microsofts efforts.

txnetcop
January 10th, 2009, 14:59
Well I didn't mean for this to become a slam against Microsoft flight simulator of any kind. I am very happy with FS9 and FSX, but a flight sim is a flight sim and X-Plane is working very hard at appealing to the things we like to do and fly, plus their guns work and so do their rockets and bombs.:woot:

They now have winter textures and seasons are being made. There are some fantastic Bush Planes and Sceneries now. The cost of the payware aircraft are much cheaper and granted not as nice as ours. Roads and cities can be redrawn made to reality in size and scope.

The new World Scenery is getting better in resolution close to the ground-something I have always hated about photo scenery. The autogen is much better than it was in version 9.0 and you can tell a difference in 9.21. Also it is only $39.00 at www.x-plane.org if you buy it right now. It is going back up in price soon. With the right developers X-Plane could be as much fun as our beloved MSFS. I would love to see our developer's aircraft in X-Plane. I don't believe it will come even close to FS11 but hey it is another flight sim, OK?

One correction, the version that the Navy has is far different from the $39.00 X-Plane you buy off the shelf. As is the commercially acceptable version the FAA approved of for training. That is $1500 per module.

Kevin, don't worry you don't need a Mac to make it look really nice. It will work very nicely on a PC or a MAC. However if you own a MAC or use Linux you can fly X-Plane without crossover software. The flight models need some work, but again some of the newer aircraft made for version 9.21 handle much better and more realism in engine management is being built in.

Might be getting close to time for an X-Plane side of the house guys. Avsim has persued it. Why send people over there if they just happen to want to fly X-Plane?
Ted

stiz
January 10th, 2009, 15:20
i must amit i'm very tempted to give it a go, how are the vcs now?? can you pan around smoothly yet?

EgoR64
January 10th, 2009, 15:34
:wiggle:

Still have mine loaded on a seperate patition only around 11.1 Gig !! Have to give her a whirl again !!

Cheers !!

Lionheart
January 10th, 2009, 19:05
i must amit i'm very tempted to give it a go, how are the vcs now?? can you pan around smoothly yet?

Yes. I had my XP9 linked with TrackIR.

I have to get it all reset again since losing the last rig.. :banghead:

Bill

Prowler1111
January 10th, 2009, 19:52
Got it, i still canīt enjoy..sorry, i wanted the pics you show, but all i get is FS98 with steroids at itīs best..and i do have a powerfull rig..
Prowler

txnetcop
January 11th, 2009, 04:03
Got it, i still canīt enjoy..sorry, i wanted the pics you show, but all i get is FS98 with steroids at itīs best..and i do have a powerfull rig..
Prowler

Prowler the pics were taken on an E8600 Gigabyte DQ6 X-48mb with 4GB DDR2 PC2-9600 OCZ Flex and a HD4870OC...the rig is OC to 3.8GHz on air(lots of air), other than that nothing special. I let X-Plane 9.0 configure itself on the system and did nothing special but set the resolution to match my monitor. I also have it loaded on my wife's DFI P-35 "Blood Iron" MB with an E6850 4GB of OCZ PC2-9600 Platinum and a HD HIS 4850 ICE-Q4 OC's to 3.6GHz. I did the same thing and let X-Plane 9.0 configure itself and went in an reset the resolution to match the monitor on hers. You can PM me with your specs and I will see what I can do to help. If you have the new Global World Scenery disks you should be able to get exactly the same views I have. The scenery is abysmal without the Global World Scenery disks. It looks like FS98 on steroids. If I can help PM me Amigo you have but to ask
Ted

TeaSea
January 11th, 2009, 06:18
I'll be honest....

I can only take one SIM at a time. I can't remember the different key commands for more that one at a time.

Sad, isn't it?

:faint:

txnetcop
January 11th, 2009, 07:36
I'll be honest....

I can only take one SIM at a time. I can't remember the different key commands for more that one at a time.

Sad, isn't it?

I cheat I use a key guide because it is tough to remember FS9, FSX, X-Plane, IL-2, Strike Fighters and FALCON plus all my military shooters and Silent Hunter...uh no I don't play them all as much as I wish I could.
Ted

Lionheart
January 11th, 2009, 08:45
I'll be honest....

Sad, isn't it?

Thats the main reason I dont play it that much either TeaSea, lol..

I have 'most' of the keys reset to FS keys, but some are just different and have to remain the same. I need to do what Ted does and lay out the key map.

This is the main reason I never really enjoyed CFS was the keyboard migration. I wanted so bad to fly CFS3, but it wouldnt run fluid on my machines and the layouts of the keys were totally diff from FS.

it is tough to remember FS9, FSX, X-Plane, IL-2, Strike Fighters and FALCON plus all my military shooters and Silent Hunter...uh no I don't play them all as much as I wish I could.
Ted

TexNetCop

Man.. So true on trying to remember them all. Especially Silent Hunter's games.

At least COD only has about 7 buttons, lol... Havent forgotten them, (except picking up and throwing grenades on COD5, lol.. Kept blowing up! It wasnt F, it was G!!! arrrghh....)

Bill