PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7/FSX Help

StormILM
April 9th, 2013, 15:00
Okay folks, I'm rather late in the game going with a new system since my aged one died recently. I went with a Windows 7 64 OS(I have Home Premium) based on various factors & input. All is working fine, a solid 30 FPS with all sliders maxed out, now I'm finally seeing what I've been missing for some time. I did the customary UAC disabling and have been able to install aircraft with no issue. However, when trying to add addon scenery, I am getting this message when trying to activate it after installing the folders: "You do not have permission to install new files on this computer. Please have an administrator log on to complete the scenery installation." I went back and checked the make sure UAC is off and that is confirmed. I have also tried to run FSX as Admin and that didn't help. Lastly, based on various FSX forums, I had gathered that perhaps that full permissions on editing folders that handle the FSX cfg and Scenery cfg files weren't set to allow the edits/changes. I did in fact find that those permissions were limited and set them to Full according to advice, to no avail. I am at a loss on what to do having seemed to use/exhaust most credible/trust worthy resources. I know a number of folks have run into this but amongst users here, I'm again seeking trusted advice before I move any further in making changes.

TeaSea
April 9th, 2013, 15:07
Probably you have already tried this, but if you've not already done so, pull this utility down from the Web and install. I did not need the utility in Vista, but did in WIN 7. May or may not fix your issue, but you would need it regardless.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Also, note that installation of new scenery within WIN 7 has a bug....it's an easy one to step around but will drive you batty before you figure it out. A real quick explanation by Mr. Womack:

http://iblueyonder.com/video-tutorial-adding-scenery-to-fsx-in-windows-7/

Finally, reboot your system after you made any changes.

Daube
April 9th, 2013, 15:09
Where did you install FSX ? The default location (program Files(x86)\....) seems to be problematic...
Also, despite the UAC disabling, did you ensure your user account had admin rights ?

StormILM
April 9th, 2013, 15:16
Thanks TeaSea, will investigate those options

Where did you install FSX ? The default location (program Files(x86)\....) seems to be problematic...
Also, despite the UAC disabling, did you ensure your user account had admin rights ?

Yes, I do have Admin rights and FSX went into x86 default location.

StormILM
April 9th, 2013, 17:30
Update, I decided to uninstall and reinstall since my FSX install was at a low number of addons and thus no major rollback. I attempted to reinstall to Program files rather than X86 but apparently since installing FSX last evening, one or both of the two Deluxe discs has a scratches/marring and it's not installing certain cabs or features and the install fails. So, I just went ahead and bought a new copy of FSX Gold off Amazon.com @ $25 & some change. With my cashback awards it actually came to $0.00! It is okay, I bought that copy of FSX Gold in mid 2007 and needed a backup copy anyway. Hopefully by weeks end, I will be back up and running again.

So, when I reinstall, aiming to program files/microsoft games instead of the default X86 location is safe?

Bone
April 9th, 2013, 17:46
Hey Bry, I think you're still going to have some issues with administrative rights if you put it inside the Program Files folder. Just make your own folder for FSX, that'll take care of any windows crankiness.

StormILM
April 9th, 2013, 17:48
Hey Bry, I think you're still going to have some issues with administrative rights if you put it inside the Program Files folder. Just make your own folder for FSX, that'll take care of any windows crankiness.

PM inbound

Meshman
April 9th, 2013, 17:50
So, when I reinstall, aiming to program files/microsoft games instead of the default X86 location is safe?

How about C:\Flight Simulator X?

I stay away from any of the \Program Files folders, (x86) or not. The only thing I can think of that I went ahead and let be installed into these protected folders was Microsoft Security Essentials. I tried that a year ago and it got messed up, tried again about a month ago and it went through!

StormILM
April 9th, 2013, 18:20
Will do when the new disks arrive. Mine are definitely shot, tried just now with the suggested folder option and same error(s)

Daube
April 10th, 2013, 01:28
Then wait for your new drives.
It is a very bad idea to install FSX on the same disk than the operating system. It's also a very bad idea to install FSX in the Program Files\ or Program Files(x86)\ folders.
The best is to install FSX on a separate (possibly dedicated) harddrive, with a simple path. Mine is on D:\Flight Simulator X\. My D drive is a SSD. Windows in on the C drive (a SSD as well). All works perfectly and I don't have any authorization problems to perform any action.

StormILM
April 12th, 2013, 11:48
Well, again I am stuck here trying to get FSX back installed and am running into a serious roadblock. Early in the week when I first posted here, it was regarding the issues I was having with installing my addon scenery and through talk here, the issue seemed to be my install location in the default Program Files (X86) folder. As previously posted, I uninstalled FSX and tried to reinstall into the C drive in a folder created for FSX exactly as prescribed here but I got installation errors that seemed to indicate at least one installation disk was faulty(both FSX Deluxe disks had minor scratches). So, I immediately ordered new disks and as of this afternoon I received the replacement FSX Gold disks BUT I am running into the same issue at the end of the install process with a specific error number 0x80040702 Description: Failed to Load DLL GameuxInstallHelper and then the installation terminated . After researching things, it appeared that there may be leftover components & registry items causing the problem. I followed Microsoft's recommendations(cutting off all non-MS services via msconfig and then hunting down and deleting FSX in the registry). The problem with that is that I could not locate an entry for FSX under the prescribed manner and I did a search for all registry entries connected to FSX and deleted them manually(of course exporting my entire registry as a backup just in case). BUT, that only culminated in the FSX installer not working at all with a 1610 error. So I restored the original registry and the installer works again but am back to the same Failed to Load DLL GameuxInstallHelper error. This is driving me nuts and am about to the point of giving up and either trying to restore my computer or just hanging FSX up for good.

If anyone has been through this and knows a fix solution that's not hundreds of hoops to jump through, I'd be very grateful for it.

StormILM
April 12th, 2013, 13:44
Update, problem solved!

I had given up the ghost on finding what was wrong after scouring through seemingly endless solutions, all of which were dead ends until I found this:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?238554-Still-cannot-install-FSX-on-new-Win7-%2864bit%29-system

I followed the advice on reply # 7 and that cleared the problem! It seems the previous install(s) and perhaps uninstalls left a bit of artifacts behind and for whatever reason(s), that prevented a new install. Anyhow, I got FSX installed again and all appears to have gone smoothly. Hopefully everything else will proceed without problems. Fingers crossed!

I hope this thread serves to help anyone who's run into a similar issue and enables them to help fix any bugs causing failed re-installs of FSX.

I hope everyone has a great and safe weekend!

TeaSea
April 12th, 2013, 14:43
Most excellent!