PDA

View Full Version : Considering a new build, questions...

strykerpsg
April 7th, 2013, 19:17
Dear members,

With all the great freeware and pay wares over the last few months and having a dead OS HDD, I'm considering taking my updated hardware out of my Dell XPS730X and putting into a new case, power supply and processor. I figure I can get a great setup for about $800-1000 keeping the older components that really rocks FSX.

Considering (feedback gladly accepted and solicited):

Asus P8Z77-V Pro TB with built in wifi
intel i7 3770
Cooler Master Cosmos II case
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200 power supply.

So, since my HDD with my FSX install didn't crash but the HDD with my OS and unfortunately my download folder with all my FSX goodies, is it possible to use the repair option of FSX to re-synch it to the new system? I will then be able to delay re-downloading the gigabytes of data lost in the OS crash, though a decent amount were backed up on my external HDD. So, I welcome all gracious feedback.

ryanbatc
April 7th, 2013, 19:20
Be sure that CPU is a 3770K

This way the overclockability will be simple

Otherwise looks great.... oh what video card?

strykerpsg
April 7th, 2013, 20:03
Thanks Ryan. Considering that one too, though over clocking is intimidating for me. Not beyond it, just want to not fry the chip. Also saw some closed loop water cooling that looks great as well.

my current hardware in my dell is:
Desktop:
Dell 730X
i7 940,6GB DDR3 1666mhz Corsair Dominator RAM,
NVidia 470 1.2GB x 2 in SLI,Track IR 5 Pro
Creative Labs XiFi Platinum Snd Crd
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

So, was never a bad setup, but couldn't increase the ram or CPU because of the dell mobo

ryanbatc
April 7th, 2013, 20:21
Overclocking with a "K" series processor is easy as pie. There are many guides floating around the net. Also if you do end up OCing make sure you get a decent cooler. I've got the older Corsair H60 closed loop... but the newer H80/90/100i is awesome. The 100i needs a lot of space on the top of your case (space should allow for two 120mm fan slots).

If you prefer air cooling consider the excellent Noctua DH14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Or a little cheaper try the XIGMATEK air cooler (for both this and the Noctua make sure it fits your case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Also, now that I'm looking at your proposed setup a little closer... you could easily save money on a lesser wattage PSU, and put that money towards a new GPU or something. I've got the Seasonic X750 (runs like a champ)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=seasonic%20x750&IsVirtualParent=1
Their 850 is good too. Most people go waaaaay overkill on the PSU. I plugged in Kill-a-Watt to my system a year back and running a 3D intensive application like 3D Mark it only needed 380W at peak power. Both the CPU and GPU were pegged. That value doesn't include my LED monitor which isn't too much either. Other good choices are Corsair's AX850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=corsair%20ax850&IsVirtualParent=1

wombat666
April 7th, 2013, 20:36
Unless you really want to future proof (as much as one can!) your case you should pass on the Cooler Master Cosmos II, I have one and it's great but it is bloody big and very heavy!
Build quality is outstanding.
Good choice IMHO is a SilverStone Fortress Series FT02B-USB3.0 Black, a bit different in the layout but a nice unit.
Certainly opt for the 'K' processor, it's better to have the over clocking option 'just in case'.
The Noctua DH14 is the best of the air coolers, but you should also consider liquid cooling, it frees up space for a better air flow and it is easy to install.
You haven't mentioned a new Mobo but the ASUS Sabretooth Z77 is excellent, I've built several boxes around them and have one on the bench for my own HT system.
Whatever PSU you decide on make certain it is fully modular, they make for a nice clean build and help with air flow as well, just avoid the XFX brand!! I'd suggest the Corsair AX760 760W as a suitable unit.
:kilroy:

strykerpsg
April 7th, 2013, 20:46
Unless you really want to future proof (as much as one can!) your case you should pass on the Cooler Master Cosmos II, I have one and it's great but it is bloody big and very heavy!
Build quality is outstanding.
Certainly opt for the 'K' processor, it's better to have the over clocking option 'just in case'.
The Noctua DH14 is the best of the air coolers, but you should also consider liquid cooling, it frees up space for a better air flow and it is easy to install.
:kilroy:
I had the Cosmos I and was impressed with volume of space and expand ability. What I didn't like was the front bay covers...total fail, but a very hefty case indeed. I saw one in Fry's and was impressed. i also like Thermal Take and Lian Li, but pretty sold on the Cosmos unless theres a more swaying opinion of other towers. I am looking for some future proofing, so as to avoid annual upgrades.

Thanks for comments on coolers. I really think closed loop will be my next standard. Also, on my way to Korea and curious what sort of cool electronics they may have as well.

Good advice overall. Please continue sharing experiences and thoughts.

strykerpsg
April 7th, 2013, 20:51
Overclocking with a "K" series processor is easy as pie. There are many guides floating around the net. Also if you do end up OCing make sure you get a decent cooler. I've got the older Corsair H60 closed loop... but the newer H80/90/100i is awesome. The 100i needs a lot of space on the top of your case (space should allow for two 120mm fan slots).

Also, now that I'm looking at your proposed setup a little closer... you could easily save money on a lesser wattage PSU, and put that money towards a new GPU or something. I've got the Seasonic X750 (runs like a champ)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=seasonic%20x750&IsVirtualParent=1
Their 850 is good too. Most people go waaaaay overkill on the PSU. I plugged in Kill-a-Watt to my system a year back and running a 3D intensive application like 3D Mark it only needed 380W at peak power. Both the CPU and GPU were pegged. That value doesn't include my LED monitor which isn't too much either. Other good choices are Corsair's AX850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=corsair%20ax850&IsVirtualParent=1
I may scale back the power, but probably not less than a 1000. As I said in wombats reply, would be nice to just upgrade every couple of years versus every year with something new. I may take the saved funds and add more RAM, as the mobo can accommodate 32gb.

i really am appreciative of the feedback Ryan. Thanks a bunch.

matt

ryanbatc
April 7th, 2013, 20:54
If you want a monster case check out the Corsair Obsidian 800D. I have the 650D and even that is massive.

Naismith
April 7th, 2013, 22:02
Corsair Obsidian 800D - That's mine, put my back out lifting it once fully loaded. :mixedsmi: Nice case tho'

wombat666
April 7th, 2013, 23:26
Probably the reason my COSMOS is so bloody heavy!!

Dave Torkington
April 8th, 2013, 00:44
Blimey wombat!

Makes my rig look like a 84425 :icon_lol:

wombat666
April 8th, 2013, 02:20
Blimey wombat!

Makes my rig look like a 84425 :icon_lol:

I doubles as a heater in the cold months Dave!
:icon_eek:

ryanbatc
April 8th, 2013, 06:13
I doubles as a heater in the cold months Dave!
:icon_eek:

No joke I literally use mine to warm up my office in the wintertime.

strykerpsg
April 8th, 2013, 06:57
Dear members,
So, since my HDD with my FSX install didn't crash but the HDD with my OS and unfortunately my download folder with all my FSX goodies, is it possible to use the repair option of FSX to re-synch it to the new system? I will then be able to delay re-downloading the gigabytes of data lost in the OS crash, though a decent amount were backed up on my external HDD. So, I welcome all gracious feedback.
Anyone know if this is possible?

Meshman
April 8th, 2013, 08:20
Anyone know if this is possible?

Educated guess, no. When the new computer is built and the OS installed all traces of FSX within the registry and boot drive folders aren't there. So FSX has nothing to recognize and thus, repair. Any add-ons that may be on the other drive that may have written data to the registry or boot drive folders, is now gone. License data, key files, etc.

More time would be spent trying to fix what is there, than just going ahead and doing a new install of FSX and add-ons. IMO, of course.

strykerpsg
April 8th, 2013, 09:03
Educated guess, no. When the new computer is built and the OS installed all traces of FSX within the registry and boot drive folders aren't there. So FSX has nothing to recognize and thus, repair. Any add-ons that may be on the other drive that may have written data to the registry or boot drive folders, is now gone. License data, key files, etc.

More time would be spent trying to fix what is there, than just going ahead and doing a new install of FSX and add-ons. IMO, of course.

Brother, if only that easy. Booted her up a few months back and got a black screen and a clicking noise with the running HDD. The bad news was this particular HDD contained my OS and primary download folder, along with my pics file, unless WIN7 stores elsewhere. So, have done occasional back ups to my external HDD, but must make this a more regular battle rhythm & in future save pics and downloads on any other drive than OS drive. Thanks for input though, always hoping someone has a voodoo trick up their sleeve for things like this.

Cheers
Matt

Meshman
April 8th, 2013, 11:59
I'm not sure if you are adding a new HD to replace the bad one or planning to use the FSX drive as your boot drive, but it really doesn't matter. Once you've made the changes and have Windows up to date, you could use one of the FSX registry tools to reinsert the location of the existing install into the registry. Then, a repair might work. Might? But with the fresh Windows/FSX repair comes a new FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, DLL.XML and EXE.XML, no licensing data for any of the add-ons and no uninstall probably, unless it's done manually. Just a whole pile of "what needs fixing next" garbage. You could spend 20 hours fixing stuff, whereas a new install might take 10 hours and cause a whole lot less grief. You'll probably find 30 to 50% of stuff that you don't want or need any more and that will cause your FPS to quadruple!!! :costum:

OT: many, many years ago I would make weekly runs into either McChord or Ft. Lewis delivering a trailer lad of goods into the BX. Always pleasant people to work with and I was always nice to the MPs!

Dumonceau
April 8th, 2013, 12:22
Have you tried booting up from an Acronis True Image boot CD and make a backup of the folders that are still accessible? Chances are that you will be able to save a lot of stuff. And it isn't expensive at all.

For the future: regularly image your primary hdd using Acronis and put the backup image away on a second HDD or an external one. Makes reinstalling your rig a thing of minutes. We use it at work.

Here's a link to it: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#overview

Sorry if I violated a rule by advertising here, but I only want to help.

Lots of luck,

Dumonceau

Montie
April 8th, 2013, 22:45
A tip, if you are set on an Ivy Bridge, knowing that Haswell is set for release this summer around June, prices may drop a little bit on the Ivy Bridge by then.

strykerpsg
April 9th, 2013, 12:08
A tip, if you are set on an Ivy Bridge, knowing that Haswell is set for release this summer around June, prices may drop a little bit on the Ivy Bridge by then.
Excellent point Montie. I will most definitely wait a bit on mobo & cpu purchase until they are released.

Thanks again.