PDA

View Full Version : Living on the Gulf Coast

Ickie
April 7th, 2013, 12:46
I have been living on the Gulf Coast for 35 years, and some of the best things are"
Fresh Shrimp, today I got 2 pounds of large fresh, cleaned (de-vained with only the tail) Shrimp for 10 bucks. Me and the dog, Haney, and the 2 parrots are now full to the brim.
Todays weather was clear, 75 and a light wind.
Paradise.

Navy Chief
April 7th, 2013, 13:07
I've only been living in Florida (Ft. Myers) for about two years now. Really nice this time of year. No humidity. That will soon change, however. The mugginess, along with Mosquitos, will soon return. The great thing for now, at least, is that the snowbirds are leaving. YAY! NC

robert41
April 7th, 2013, 13:07
Sounds like paradise. Up here in Wisconsin, I like the four seasons we get. Today, temps at 50F sunny, most of the snow is gone now. Even though we got 2 or 3 inches friday night again. Spring is a bit late this year.

CG_1976
April 7th, 2013, 13:11
Not to bad in Corpus Christi Today http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Corpus+Christi&state=TX&site=CRP&textField1=27.8&textField2=-97.396&e=0

Excellent day in San Antonio. I will be moving full time to Corpus Christi soon. I picked that area as my future Retirement area from the USCG finally. San Antonio is nice, but I miss the Waters/Life of the Gulf. Texas is invading my Arctic Canuk/GreenBay Tundra blood and taking over.

beana51
April 7th, 2013, 14:27
Been living on the Gulf Coast for 10 yrs now...were it not for Air conditioning?. In the winter in Cold Area,most stay indoors,and in summer in Florida??Ya got it ,they Stay indoors..Tourists have tans,native Floridians are a sickley yellow Pale.. It still would be a hell hole in Summer ran nobody would be here.With Out Air!....Factor deadly Hurricanes,.floods,sinkholes,Pythons ,and more,is a growing threat,Gators,bugs...its got a Devil Island feel to it Like A KATERINIA HAD!!..Its OK to come here on any Jan1,and get out by April Fools day..Staying ?? Then yer a fool...A Trunk of Old money helps....I never knew Florida is prone to forest fires also..All the people are nice..Here its a Mid west flavor..As far as fish??? most big chains feature all South .American Fish.IMPORTED!..Local Fih goes to big Restaurants,or the Fulton Street Fishh Market in NY!!. The Best Shrimp in the world,Frozen ,from all over the world??..NY.I get mine off the back of a Fish Peddler truck....Were you to have a Maine Lobster,next to a Rock Tail Fl. Lobster you would see the difference...Fish from Mass.or Montalk, from the North Atlantic cold water are far Superior..its in the taste..The Gulf is like Bath water...And yes the Tar Balls still are there...Fl.?? its a BONE YARD!..More Quacks per mile than any other place.All Fleeceing The Old Helpless Geezers!.The BLACKTOPPING goes on..Yes some beach's are great,if no Red Tide around....So be careful what you ask for...Housing market hit the Skids..Now Baby boomers are comeing..a slight recovery...Property on the water ? FAR OUT !..and with the next Hurricane floating it out to sea?...Its A Tempory feeling...I'm still waiting to be on National TV,on whats left of my roof,My Drawers in hand waveing for a Copter.to rescue .....

I long for the cool green mountains of the Mountains of NYS Lake George,.or The North east!..The Seasons,all four of them...All most beautiful..Wood fires,pushing snow ,hunting deer,making Maple Syrup,Ice fishing and Spring...Here Forget it..Santa wears Shorts!.Why am I'm here?? Was SHANGHAIED!..By a loving caring family...WARNING!! Any time they say its good for you??RUN,RUN,DO NOT LOOK BACK...For their Love Will Kill You!!//However I LOVE FLORIDA..On a Post Card...in another two years..Flordias Population will surpass NYS......Yes Guys IT "T-BONE" Country..and I do not mean Steak....Old Geezers come her for their Golden Year,That Other GREAT LIE,and they get killed on the roads...OH The sun,The Great Sun...more people get skin cancer here than any other place...Idiots put on their grass skirts,stark naked..and bake them selves in the Fla. BROILER!....Ever wonder why dessert people cover them selves in the heat ,head to toe,,in Robes and Rags on their heads!ITS THE SUN STUPID....OK Enough..Its Obvious I HATE THIS PLACE....You were warned!!..but like lemmings most people are..they will self Destruct!RUN,RUN,AWAY FROM FLORIDA!:running:

Jagdflieger
April 7th, 2013, 17:30
I like to visit and have been TDY in the area a few times.

Here's a shot from last fall on "Mexico Beach" east of Tyndal AFB.

Willy
April 7th, 2013, 20:17
I've been stationed on the Gulf Coast (aka: "Redneck Riviera") four different times. I've always loved it down there. Just too darn many hurricanes roll through there for me....

Bushpounder
April 8th, 2013, 02:24
I totally agree, Vin. It actually used to be a nice place to live, forty years ago. Not now! I wouldn't go back for anything. We left twenty two years ago, and it was just starting to get bad then. I like my mountains and valleys here in Virginia. This is a great place to live, regardless of age. We have basically two seasons here anymore - summer/winter. We had 3 inches of snow last Thursday (was only supposed to be rain!!) and today it will be just under 80. By mid-day Friday, all that snow was gone. Go figure!

Don

CWOJackson
April 8th, 2013, 07:01
I totally agree, Vin. It actually used to be a nice place to live, forty years ago. Not now! I wouldn't go back for anything. We left twenty two years ago, and it was just starting to get bad then. I like my mountains and valleys here in Virginia. This is a great place to live, regardless of age. We have basically two seasons here anymore - summer/winter. We had 3 inches of snow last Thursday (was only supposed to be rain!!) and today it will be just under 80. By mid-day Friday, all that snow was gone. Go figure!

Don

Similar to around here. Yesterday we went from winter (below freezing early morning) to summer (mid-70's) by the afternoon.

n4gix
April 8th, 2013, 09:05
I've only been living in Florida (Ft. Myers) for about two years now. Really nice this time of year. No humidity. That will soon change, however. The mugginess, along with Mosquitos, will soon return. The great thing for now, at least, is that the snowbirds are leaving. YAY! NC
I'll never forget my first visit to see my parent's new home on South Padre Island. At around 5am on my first morning, I heard a God-awful roar pass by over their house and my first thought was "OMG! A plane is gonna crash!"

Grabbing my robe quickly, I ran outside just in time to see a DC-3 bank (damned near a knife-edge!) to pass between two residential towers just to the north of my folks' house, trailing a heavy white smoke...

...a few minutes later I noted that the same DC-3 made a return pass from north to south across the island. By that time I'd finally figured out it was spraying for mosquitos. :icon_lol:

Ripcord13
April 8th, 2013, 11:16
I'm with you Beana51, I was conned to move here by the lovely Mrs. Originally from the coast of Massachusetts where we have real seafood, in fact I think all of the food here in the Sunshine State sucks and anyone that comes from the Northeast will not disagree. I would give my right arm for a good New England Clambake.

beana51
April 8th, 2013, 12:29
I'm with you Beana51, I was conned to move here by the lovely Mrs. Originally from the coast of Massachusetts where we have real seafood, in fact I think all of the food here in the Sunshine State sucks and anyone that comes from the Northeast will not disagree. I would give my right arm for a good New England Clambake.

I feel yer pain Friend...Yesterday my daughter took me to a Beach,in Venice.,On the Gulf!.a most unusual beach..only one where Dogs were permitted.I was in some huge Dog Pound!...The Surf looked good,the Day Nice, Breeze,cool temps OK,and there I was..TOTALLY GONE TO THE DOGS ....I had no choice but to laugh at my self!!......But there was a WARNING there..."RED TIDE" insidious stuff,sadly killing those Fat ,Ugly,Lovable ,Sea Cows ..The Mannatees!...That took away from a reasonable good day...New England Clam Bake???OH God wish it were so!....Here the locals eat Gator Tails, Hard As Rock Rock Lobster tails, ,with no claws! Turtles,Burmese Python,and Armadillos!!......Have Fun!!..Vin