PDA

View Full Version : Handley Page HP-42 "Heracles" Uploaded

PutPut
April 6th, 2013, 11:40
I just uploaded my model of the Handley Page HP-42 to simviation and flightsim a few minutes ago, should be there tomorrow.

I downloaded Derek Palmer's excellent FS9 version of the plane several years ago and have enjoyed it to this day. I ported it over to FSX with minimum difficulties and continued to fly it, lumbering along on many routes in Europe and Africa-Asia. The exploits of the real plane are amazing. There were eight of them procured by Imperial Airways. Four were assigned to European routes and four were assigned to Africa-Asia routes. The latter carried fewer passangers and thus had longer range. It is hard to believe that these planes lumbered along at 100 mph on routes that extended from London to the Union of South Africa and to India and beyond. My hats off to the passengers who endured flights of many hours with stops every few hours at places that had no emenities of the day.
Imperial Airways chose to sell elegance in air travel rather than speed which was the choice of other airlines which were buying planes like the DC-2, DC -3, Boeing 247, etc.
I decided I really wanted a FSX native version of this plane so I started the project a few months ago. I chose to model the "Heracles" because I found more pictures of that example. Also. the "Heracles" was the first commercial airplane to fly more than a million miles. Once again, I had a problem finding photo's of the instrument panel. I found only one which was from behind the crew seats so it didn't tell me much about gauges. It did show the flight gauges were on the left and engine gauges on the right. I found several photo's of the passenger compartment which showed the elegant wood paneling and fancy upholstery
This is a native FSX Acceleration project. It has the usual animations and the textures are 2048x2048 in DXT5.DDS format. The VC has working gauges and animated flight controls. Everything is marked or else identified with tooltips. The VC has a combination of a VC light and backlit gauges for night ops. It has large leading edge slats rather than flaps. The gauges are mostly default; I have put them in one .cab file for convenience.
A note on Sound: I have aliased the DC-3 sound for this upload. I strongly urge you to download the HP-42 sound file from Britsim.com in their sound file section. I use this for my own copy (love it!). I would have included it in this upload but the author made it very clear he did not want it uploaded to another website so I didn't.

Best, Paul

big-mike
April 6th, 2013, 12:10
Thank you very much,Paul!:applause:
Can`t wait for the first flight.
Michael

PRB
April 6th, 2013, 12:19
Nice! Such a classic. Thanks Paul!

Roger
April 6th, 2013, 12:22
Thanks Paul, a classic it definately is!:applause:

jankees
April 6th, 2013, 15:11
such a cool aircraft!
Thank you!

Daveroo
April 6th, 2013, 15:12
very cool....like the seating

Sundog
April 6th, 2013, 16:17
Thanks Paul. :)

Bomber_12th
April 6th, 2013, 16:36
Thank you Paul! I've always enjoyed the design of this aircraft.

pilottj
April 6th, 2013, 17:29
Thanks Paul :salute::medals:

Bruce Thompson
April 7th, 2013, 02:33
Thank you Paul, flying in it the length of Africa would be some journey.:salute:

Crash_Hawk
April 7th, 2013, 04:29
Downloaded from Simviation! Off to Africa!

Thanks!!

Roger
April 7th, 2013, 05:10
:engel016:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/04/07/QDhcu.jpg

stovall
April 7th, 2013, 05:50
Very cool pic Roger.

Lionheart
April 7th, 2013, 09:20
Awesome as always, Paul!

Love those seats!

I did the flight from top to bottom in one of these years ago (in FS of course). Took me a full week, a journey with 1 or 2 hops a night. I remember finding that lake in the center of Africa. I would try to fly to towns where I would find fuel to make a new hop. Finally I found the mountains at Cape Horn area, near empty of fuel. What a massive country....

DennyBoy
April 8th, 2013, 01:05
Hello !

Remeber my plastic kit building days, long time ago. HP-42 by Airfix, scale 1:144

Best Regard
DennyBoy

peter12213
April 13th, 2013, 04:55
Fantastic! Thanks Paul.