PDA

View Full Version : Exasperation - my defintion ...

Paul Anderson
April 6th, 2013, 11:36
... for years I have been getting phoned by an Indian call center asking for duct cleaning.
I have said no, explained I am on the do not call for solicitation list.
Means nothing to someone thousands of miles away getting paid by the dial.
Have tried saying no politely, hanging up, not hanging up to keep one of their lines tied up, to swearing (don't like to, but no difference to them).
Get called at least once a month, sometimes 3 days in a row, sometimes twice in same day.
Heard complaints on TV to government playing recording, I even recognized the voice!
Doesn't stop.

Tax time, knew was going to get bit, retired now and had couple incomes not deduct tax because I didn't know how things were going to go.
Yesterday had tax done, $90 for the calc, owed $4700 in taxes.
Not a shock, I guessed $5000 before the fact, did taxes for 4 months in a work term in 1969 (before computers generally available).
Today I got a call from India asking me to recommend the tax company to friends and relatives.
That's going a bit far, after having gnads pulled out through the nostrils.
I said I couldn't understand the first part of what she said but I understood the endorsement part.
She (not understanding) said thanks and hung up.

How do you folks deal with this?

OBIO
April 6th, 2013, 11:47
Caller ID is your friend...if it is not a number you actually know...don't answer.

Tim

Rami
April 6th, 2013, 12:15
Paul,

I pretend I don't speak English...or sometimes I'll listen to them, and then ask them to hang on a second, and put the phone down next to a radio tuned to a soft rock station and turn it on. When I come back and check the phone after a few minutes, they usually hang up.

Gdavis101
April 6th, 2013, 12:22
I do not answer unless its someone I know.

Daveroo
April 6th, 2013, 14:58
i found a website that you put the number of the caller into,accually i think i sent an email..ill have to look around my bookmarks and email contacts..cant right now..will later...but you send the number they called from..ofcourse you need caller id..the place you send the number to does something to block the number forever...apparently you can even submit a number..say like your ex-wife..and she will be unable to call your number with out changing hers...

Daveroo
April 6th, 2013, 15:10
wanted to say though...back in the day before computers ( for me) and caller id..or do not call registry...when i would get a telemarkiter ..if male..id lissin like i was interrested for a few minutes...then interrupt him and tell him he has a sexy voice..then ask him where he lives..is he single..if he says no..id say does your boyfriend like threesomes?and if he said...im not gay...im married to a woman!!...then id say...oh..youre confused about your sexuality huh?..cause you sure give off that gay vibe...if id gotten this far...then id ask where he was..but theyve usually hung up..

if a female caller...i would also say...hey babe..you sound sexy...how much for a one hour date?...i have cuffs and stuff....about then it was usually click or...you perv..im callin the cops..to which id respond..YOU called me...

but one time..i started getting a series of calls at 3am exactly...every monday and thursday...and this old man wanted to order meat....id say..wrong number and hang up..he'd call right back and cuss at me..so id unplug the phone and go back to sleep...about a month went by..and one morning..i decided to take his order..told him his order would be on the dock at 5 am for him to pick up..then unplugged my phone....the next week he called again cussed at me about the messup the week before..and made a new one and threatenedme to get it right this time...so i said ok...said 5 am again..then i called this guy i knew who was a real jerk...told him another jerk we both kne, wanted to meet him for a fight at the dock behind the butcher shop at 5 am......then unplugged the phone...

never heard from the oldman again...

emfrat
April 6th, 2013, 15:11
I would be asking the tax company how the call centre got my information - and I would not be giving them any of my business in the future.

MikeW

Paul Anderson
April 6th, 2013, 18:02
@emfrat ... good thought

TuFun
April 6th, 2013, 19:23
I only have a cell and it's turned off most of the time. No one to call and no one to call me... nice!

KellyB
April 7th, 2013, 05:25
I only have a cell and it's turned off most of the time. No one to call and no one to call me... nice!

What a novel idea--use the on/off switch. I think we all should try that.

Then no one from NCIS can track me!

When the aliens attack, it will be to shut off all the electronic noise coming from Blitto P3...

Seriously, I too would be all over the highest execs in the tax company for their obvious disregard for your privacy--not a good thing in a tax company.

SSI01
April 7th, 2013, 06:48
1)If you check YouTube there are some videos demonstrating "on-hold" messages you can direct your telemarketers to if they ring you. Not a bad idea, but you've got to somehow install the "hold" feature onto your phone. After that, come up with your own background music and periodic announcements, just like on the video. Then let the games begin.
2)Once they've tried to convert you to doing what they would like you to do, try to convert them to something you'd like them to get interested in - like Odinism (Viking religious beliefs), for example. Being branded a flake on their in-house database will keep you from being called ever again - unless the telemarketer is an adventurous type.
3)Using caller ID is still the best idea.