PDA

View Full Version : Niagara Falls web cam

Ickie
April 6th, 2013, 05:27
Here is something cool, Niagra Falls webcam, if you double click the screen it becomes a screen saver.
last night at 8:30 they turned on the color lights behind the falls, very cool

http://www.earthcam.com/canada/niagarafalls/?cam=niagarafalls_str

Rami
April 6th, 2013, 08:13
Ickie,

That's cool, it also makes me a little homesick. I'm waiting for the day my kids are old enough to bring them back to where I grew up. The tower that lights up the Horseshoe (Canadian) Falls is off to the left of that webcam image; the building in the forefront is the Canadian Visitor's center. For those who need visual orientation...

The structure in the far left corner: The Rainbow Bridge. (Built 1938)

Next to that...toward the American Falls...is the American observation deck, with an elevator down to the bottom.

The island separating the two major falls is Goat Island, and the islands you see trailing off the back end of Goat Island (upriver) are the Three Sister Islands.

Judging by the look of that picture, it looks like they still have the winter flow level going. They usually don't let loose the juice at a greater rate until the trees bloom and the tourists come in. They also turn down the flow at night, so more water is diverted for electricity.

Has anyone been to the Falls in winter? The mist can freeze to your face if you have facial hair, it makes you look like you've spent time in the Arctic. The ice formations and icicles that can form are also pretty cool...I've seen icicles in excess of 25 feet up there.

Tako_Kichi
April 6th, 2013, 09:20
I've been to the Falls twice and it really is a spectacular experience. The size, power and sheer beauty have to be seen in person as images really don't do it justice.

Last time we went we also took the trip 'behind' the falls where you walk through a tunnel cut into the cliff and and look out at the falling wall of water from about 10-15 feet away.

The view from the Canadian side of the border is much better than the US side as you can see all of the Horseshoe Falls and the American Falls at the same time.

beana51
April 6th, 2013, 10:26
The "MAID OF THE MIST" a great experience...

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/maid-of-the-mist_zps0363b5fa.jpg

Rami
April 6th, 2013, 11:25
Beana51,

Indeed it is! A native tip, though...if you can, do it from the Canadian side. They get closer!

beana51
April 6th, 2013, 15:12
Yes RAMI,Canadian side ....Beautiful....The Niagara Frontier...The HONEY MOON CAPITAL of AMERICA!..Yes,Winter at Niagara...Spectacular!.....A long way from Love Canal now!!! We would visit once a year...going up the Hudson River, Albany ,Saratoga,to Lake George,AKA Lac du Saint Sacrement Ft. William Henry to Ft. Ticonderoga,To Lake Champlain stopping at Crown Point....Then up the Richelieu River..the St. Lawrence river ..then Quebec..Old Quebec Beautiful,...A different Country ..not English! Vision's Of Red Coats,Rogers rangers,French troops,,ghosts of the coureur de bois.Mohawk,Iroquois Lenape,Abenaki and many other Indian tribes,Now all gone!, .A Historical trip... then wandering around somehow, to Montreal, some how,along the St. Lawrence,along Lake Ontario, on to Niagara,And Lake Erie that would come into sight..No GPS assistance then..It was the Song Of The Open Road, Gas cheap,food cheap,sleep out cheap,and a inward sense of direction.dead reckoning.! Never got lost!! All this me and the Mom, in a VW bus and four kids!..A most beautiful area steeped in History..both for America and Canada!...Tell us Rami,did you ever go over the Falls in a barrel?? Try it you will like it!!?<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>!......FSX does a reasonable job here with the Great Falls!!!

Met an Indian Squaw Canada side of Niagara ,She said "HOW" ..so I showed her!..UGH!!

Eoraptor1
April 7th, 2013, 15:54
I walk to the Falls park nearly every day when the weather is good. I just got back from there and the ice that was filling the gorge is gone. We hit 65 degree today. Last week, the ice breakers were above the rapids chopping up the ice and the river was full mini icebergs. On Friday the wind was blowing sheets of ice onto Terrapin Point. The lower observation deck is still covered with ice and is fenced off, otherwise, I guarantee you people would be down there. I have photos of Japanese tourists walking along the lip of the Horseshoe Falls that I believe I posted here at the time it happened. I tried to upload photos earlier, but was having trouble posting. I'll try again later.

JAMES