PDA

View Full Version : lear jet overspeed

cheezyflier
January 9th, 2009, 18:46
when i click "details" in the window where i choose the plane, it goves the cruise speed of the lear at .81 mach. i notice that when i get above 35,000'
it overspeeds at .73 or so. what is the deal there? it doesn't seem right. if the plane should be able to handle .81, then it should be quite happy at .75, shouldn't it? what is the deal here? :help:

Pepere
January 9th, 2009, 18:55
Don't quote me on this but for some reason the higher you fly the lower your top speed is?? Maybe someone can explain it.:gossip:

David :kilroy:

Piglet
January 9th, 2009, 19:05
The higher you go into the thinning air , the slower the speed of sound (Mach) . Did the specs state Mach .81 at a certain altitude?
PS
Sound travels REALLY fast thru water and solids.

PRB
January 9th, 2009, 20:03
Interesting. I just did a test flight with the default Lear Jet (quite a nice plane!) Mine went overspeed right at M0.81, which is what the [reference speeds] section of the aircraft.cfg says it will. It will also overspeed at 330 KIAS, but at 30,000 feet you’ll hit M0.81 way before you hit 330 KIAS. Now if you were at lower altitude, I would have suggested that you had hit the KIAS limit of 330 KIAS, which, depending on the altitude (20,000-ish, perhaps), you might very well have hit at M0.71. But at 35,000 feet, you’re way below 300 KIAS at M0.81. Very strange.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
What did you use to measure your Mach number? It took me a while to get the MFD to display the Mach number. I had to fiddle with the autopilot’s speed hold button before it would show my Mach number.

cheezyflier
January 10th, 2009, 07:46
i went by the numbers shown on the 2-d panel, and the red numbers at the top of the screen when you shift+z one time.

what i am doing, is trying to find the smallest plane that will take me from sacremento to hawaii using high altitude airway generated by fsx. the lear should do it, although i really wish i could use a prop. i was able to barely pull it off by emptying all the payload ecept the 2 pilots. i just don't know of another true fsx model that is freeware that would make the trip.

Brett_Henderson
January 10th, 2009, 07:53
Milton's Howard will do it.. but you have to wait for favorable winds aloft.. and then NAIL Vy while dancing dangerously close to over-heating the cylinder heads on the edge of "too lean".. and keep the prop-rpms as low as you can while still maintaining Vy and reasonable manifold pressure..

:wiggle: