PDA

View Full Version : This makes me happy.W Scott

Daveroo
April 5th, 2013, 19:30
Wendell Scott honored finally....nice..

http://www.motorracingnetwork.com/Race-Series/NASCAR-Sprint-Cup/News/Articles/2013/04/Virginia-Honors-Wendell-Scotts-Legacy.aspx

Cazzie
April 6th, 2013, 03:53
My hometown brother, had to be there Dave. My dad fabricated sheet metal for Wendell's cars. Both were WW II Navy, both good friends. Both passed away on the same day in 1990. Wendell was a quiet and good man, nothing like the Richard Pryor version. And today, I am headed up to M'ville to watch Darrell Wallace. Jr. and the Truck race. The entire street had to be closed off to accomidate the number of people at Wendell's National Plaque ceremony.

Caz

Panther_99FS
April 6th, 2013, 07:40
Nice post there Cazz! :mixedsmi:

Daveroo
April 6th, 2013, 08:08
My hometown brother, had to be there Dave. My dad fabricated sheet metal for Wendell's cars. Both were WW II Navy, both good friends. Both passed away on the same day in 1990. Wendell was a quiet and good man, nothing like the Richard Pryor version. And today, I am headed up to M'ville to watch Darrell Wallace. Jr. and the Truck race. The entire street had to be closed off to accomidate the number of people at Wendell's National Plaque ceremony.

Caz

i turned the movie with pryor off because i felt it wasnt what i had read about the man,wasnt who the man was id come to know from the pages of the racing history books available to me...i will have an eye on Wallace myself today,but if Sweet attempted to qualify..and made it.( i havent looked yet) i have to pull for my local kid.

Cazzie
April 6th, 2013, 12:48
Just back from the Truck race, a good one won by Johnny Sauter. Jeb Burton and Timmy Peters were 3 and 4. And Darrell Wallace, Jr. drove to a respectable 5th place finish.

Don't get me wrong, Wendell had his tough side, he had to, think of what he had to go through in his time. But it was a tough side he rarely showed. Above all, he was tenacious and determined. He was like all men who served in WW II, a generation apart. :salute:

Daveroo
April 6th, 2013, 14:51
Just back from the Truck race, a good one won by Johnny Sauter. Jeb Burton and Timmy Peters were 3 and 4. And Darrell Wallace, Jr. drove to a respectable 5th place finish.

Don't get me wrong, Wendell had his tough side, he had to, think of what he had to go through in his time. But it was a tough side he rarely showed. Above all, he was tenacious and determined. He was like all men who served in WW II, a generation apart. :salute:

i understand..what ive read and seen in documentaries..he was first and formost a gentalman ,the movie with pryor seems like he was a ....well not nice..i dont remember the whole movie..but like i said before..i felt like..this isnt the man ive read aboout when i watched it...

and i enjoyed todays race,but i thought for sure harvick was going to wreck jeb burton for the horniday thing,that eric jones was pretty darned good for a 16 year old high school kid....i just wish i was in Pville tonight..its the season opener (if it doesnt rain out) and kyle larson and some of the world of outlaw guys are to be there...BTW my buddy andy foresberg i talked about in that other post,got one lap of qulifying due to a mag problem..but won his heat,and then won the A main...weehoo!!

http://www.forsbergracing92.com/

Panther_99FS
April 6th, 2013, 16:36

Sorry,
Didn't see this before I posted the other thread.....:icon_eek::icon_lol: Anyways, yep - I thought it was a great race too! :mixedsmi:

Cazzie
April 7th, 2013, 02:18
Dave, if Wendell had not been a gentleman, he would have never received the backing or the right to race in this area in those Jim Crow era times. He had to watch his step every inch of the way; he was a smart man, much smarter than people gave credit for a black man with only a 7th grade black school education. But you didn't accost his children or his family, that was crossing a barrier. You had to listen when he spoke, because he had a slow, soft voice. It was my privilidge and pleasure to have known him, because I had a father who threw away prejudice before WW II and taugh his children well.

Daveroo
April 7th, 2013, 07:57
Dave, if Wendell had not been a gentleman, he would have never received the backing or the right to race in this area in those Jim Crow era times. He had to watch his step every inch of the way; he was a smart man, much smarter than people gave credit for a black man with only a 7th grade black school education. But you didn't accost his children or his family, that was crossing a barrier. You had to listen when he spoke, because he had a slow, soft voice. It was my privilidge and pleasure to have known him, because I had a father who threw away prejudice before WW II and taugh his children well.

thats awesome that you knew him,my idols are race car drivers from the golden age,so as i call it..those men who drove midgets and sprint cars with no kind of roll bar of any kind,those were men..knowing everytime you pressed that throttle peddle could be the start of the end of your life.and guys like col anderson..al white who survived the XB-70 Crash. met them both and played golf regularly with al whites brother..