PDA

View Full Version : Europe rivers,roads and shorelines

PSULLYKEYS
January 9th, 2009, 17:48
Now uploaded: A different set of river, road and shoreline textures for SdC's Europe. I recently updated my EurWest install and noticed that by adding Stitz's >super< Eur water, that the white sandy beaches and light blue water, just didn't look right. Then I changed the river texture to be more compatable with Stiz's ocean texture. Finally the grey roads bothered me, so I made them tan and widened them a bit so that vehicles would look correct.

Enjoy! pix below - old and new.

Jagdflieger
January 9th, 2009, 19:30
Thanks PSullykeys! I just downloaded and installed them. I'll check 'em out as soon as get off line.

Update:

Lookin' good.

Ravenna
January 9th, 2009, 22:49
Thanks Sully.....now I can only hope that these will not be so distracting that I forget to watch my six!
Great attention to detail, as usual.
:ernae:
Mike

PSULLYKEYS
January 10th, 2009, 15:22
Thanks fellows.....but.... why is it >after< I post something I think of another way to do it?:isadizzy: Check out below: How about a rocky coast? I believe most of northern Europe is rocky!

Remove the .txt and you've got the new rocky shore texture..

PSULLYKEYS
January 11th, 2009, 08:16
..the next question. Can you choose a different shoreline texture for different areas of SdC's Europe?

Ettico
January 11th, 2009, 08:57
..the next question. Can you choose a different shoreline texture for different areas of SdC's Europe?

It could be done, but not easily. You would have to figure out which of SdC's "cst" BGL's cover the area you want to change, then segregate them into a separate scenery area, and substitute in the shoreline textures you want to change.

PSULLYKEYS
January 11th, 2009, 16:10
Ah... thanks Ettico, that's a bit beyond my abilities ......

miamieagle
January 11th, 2009, 16:47
Ettico you have Just made this Sim more Immersing!

Thank you!:wavey:

Ravenna
January 11th, 2009, 16:59
Just a thought Sully....a lot of Europe's coastline (well, the coastline I have seen!) has rocks/ cliffs with a fringe of sand/shale. Would it be possible to do a beach texture with rocks and a narrow band of sand?
cheers,
:ernae:
Mike

PSULLYKEYS
January 11th, 2009, 19:55
Good Idea Mike.......try this one: (remove the .txt to use the bmp.)

from the sea to the shore you will now see:
1 an occasional patch of rocks
2 a lighter water shade (shallows)
3 waves
4 a thin band of yellow/tan sand
5 rocks

Let me know if it works for you....

Ettico.....after thought, I see what you mean. It would require you to take each of the SdC squares(bgls).....and assign it a shore texture.......I'm thinking 4 different ones at this point........and place them in 4 separate folders with the texture folder containing the appropriate shore texture. You would then activate each of the 4 folders in scenedb (or addon) separately.

Maybe a good rainy day project to see if its feasable.

And ......is that pacific shoreline texture ready for a refurb?

Jagdflieger
January 11th, 2009, 20:48
Great ideas guys and thanks for the new textures PSully.

Ravenna
January 11th, 2009, 21:26
Hmmm...I think I need a new monitor. Things are beginning to look indistinct (or maybe I'm on the way out).
Here are my screenies for parts of the German and Dutch coast. The effect seems to be more pronounced where the coast is sandy.
All of this reminds me that I still have not added all of Sander's bgl files.

Ettico
January 12th, 2009, 08:17
Ettico.....after thought, I see what you mean. It would require you to take each of the SdC squares(bgls).....and assign it a shore texture.......I'm thinking 4 different ones at this point........and place them in 4 separate folders with the texture folder containing the appropriate shore texture. You would then activate each of the 4 folders in scenedb (or addon) separately.

Maybe a good rainy day project to see if its feasable.

Actually, you would only have to segregate the "cst" BGL's you want to affect. All the other BGL's could stay in your main "Eurw" scenery folder.

The difficulty would be figuring out which "cst" files cover the area of coastline you want to change. If you have BglAnalyze you can open up the BGL's and look at the range of coordinates they cover.

I don't know where I got BglAnalyze. The readme says it's by Edgar Knobloch.

PSULLYKEYS
January 12th, 2009, 11:38
Thanks Jagd. How did they work for you?

Hmmm, Mike, I believe that you might have the textures in more than one place.....they can be in:

The texture folder located in the SdC folder, in scenedb.
The texture folder located in the World folder, in scenedb
The main texture folder.

You do not need it in all of them, only one, and you should not have different textures with the same name in different locations.

OR:

Also, SdC had an enhancement package for the Dutch coast, and I believe it contained his own shorelines for the area........ try in France and see what you get...

Ettico, I agree, to use different textures for bgls, they would be moved, but all of the Med for instance can go with the Pacific/SdC default shorelines and would remain in their original folder.

I was thinking rocky coast/rock and sand coast and yellow sandy coast in addition to the original texture.

Ravenna
January 12th, 2009, 19:40
Rgr that Sully...I'll check it out. Thanks for the hint.

blohmundvoss
January 13th, 2009, 08:39
Remove the .txt and you've got the new rocky shore texture..

This is strange because I never had this problem before when I've saved attachments like this.

When I try to save the vshoresu.bmp.txt attachment I get the option to save 'vshore.bmp' as a 'text file' (not what I want obviously) or as 'All files'. Both options result in a text file.

Have I had a 'brain fade'? Any advice gratefully received.

Ooops! Should have started with the fact that this is another very nice addition to the scenery options for Europe, PSullyKeys. Always very welcome.

Cheers
BuV

EC_ILO
January 13th, 2009, 09:58
Save as "All files" but deleting the .txt part in vshoresu.bmp.txt

Regards,

EC_ILO

blohmundvoss
January 13th, 2009, 13:37
Save as "All files" but deleting the .txt part in vshoresu.bmp.txt

Regards,

EC_ILO

. . . which is what I would expect to see but the option to 'Save' tells me the file is already called 'vshoresu.bmp' - and so I don't get chance to delete the .txt suffix - and saving it as 'All files' still gives me a text file.

I wonder if I've changed my Explorer options accidentally?

Thanks anyway EC_ILO. Much appreciated.

Cheers
BuV

PSULLYKEYS
January 13th, 2009, 16:26
Thanks Ec Ilo!!

Ec Ilo is corect B+V...... because of a few hackers, we are only allowed to upload certain files. This file is an extended .bmp, however I cannot post it as such, so I added .txt behind the file.

If you remove the .txt (you will get a warning that the file might be unstable if you do that - ignore it!) and save it as vshoresu.bmp it should then work for you.

I hope to work on this project and eventually post a product that presents those with an SdC EurW install with different coastlines for different parts of Europe. This was just a preview.

Thanks for your interest!

Ravenna
January 13th, 2009, 17:11
Re the above textures: Sully, I looked int my ETO install and yor texture files are only in the texture sub file of SdC Eurw in scenedb.

PSULLYKEYS
January 14th, 2009, 18:54
??? Don't understand that Mike, I've got a few of Dirty's Dozen checking them out with no probs!! Methinks you need a few glasses of a good single malt!:friday: Let me ponder it a bit more...

Next step done - 3 different textures shown below, rocky in Norway, rock/sand in France and sandy in Belgium. Took a few hours at google earth to rough out placement......hopefully a trial by the weekend.

Its just a subtle difference......but the way this sim is going, one size fits all doesn't work any longer!:amen: