PDA

View Full Version : How's this for twisted logic...

Rami
April 3rd, 2013, 11:26
Hey guys,

Some of you know that my mom was scheduled for surgery today. The surgery to do work on her fistula went fine, but she's usually a little slow in recovering, so I'm waiting for her now. This is going to sound really weird, but the recurring problem that she's having is that she's "too healthy" for dialysis.

Other than her fistula and kidneys, her weight, heart, blood pressure, and other factors are exceptionally good. Her veins are also in good shape, so much so that the other veins in her arm have not withered and died as one would expect for a dialysis patient, hers remain vital and try to "recruit" helper veins to increase blood flow out of her arm. The presence of these "helper" veins interferes with her dialysis, increases her pain level, and causes her to infiltrate.

This is quite rare to happen once, it is extremely rare to happen twice. It looks like this might very well be a recurring problem for her...which places her in a category of about 0.001% of dialysis patients. I tried to lighten the mood by saying her veins should work as a military recruiter; we'd never have to worry about deploying troops again.

Let's just say that went over like a turd in a punch bowl. :barf:

I'm not looking forward to driving home from Boston in evening rush hour, but that's small potatoes.

kelticheart
April 4th, 2013, 01:11
Rami,

when it comes down to serious, better, damn' serious health problems, it's always hard to make any comment, at least for me. I remember years ago when my mother's older sister, my aunt, lost 95% of her kidney efficiency and she had to go through dialysis every other two days. It was one hell of a trial, to the point the whole family wished her a swift departure, to put an end to her suffering. It went on instead for almost a decade.

I don't know what to say, I can only wish your mom my very best hopes for any kind of improvement and pain lowering that might come.

Stef