PDA

View Full Version : Zimbra Desktop mail client

PRB
April 2nd, 2013, 16:12
Anybody using this free e-mail client program?

I use Yahoo for e-mail. It's free and remains constant when I move across the country chasing jobs. My biggest problem with Yahoo mail is that you can't download and save e-mail messages to your computer (unless you upgrade to the payware version). While Googling for a solution I found this Zimbra Desktop app. I downloaded and installed it. So far I like it a lot. Now I can save my e-mails to my computer, and they're not sitting out there on Yay-Hoo's e-mail server is east whodathunkit New Jersey waiting for some angry CS graduate to hack into it and read about all my secrets. Even better, It has a nice interface, and I don't have to wade through all the gripping Yahoo “news” adds on the way to reading my e-mail. I don't really care what Nikki Manaj said on whatever show she's on. Anyhow, I'd never heard of it until now, and looking for any reviews from SOH'ers.

The program:
http://www.zimbra.com/downloads/zd-downloads.html

The FAQ:
http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Desktop_2_FAQ

The CNET Review:
http://download.cnet.com/Zimbra-Desktop/3000-2367_4-10868288.html

Willy
April 2nd, 2013, 16:19
What's a Nikki Manaj?

Tako_Kichi
April 2nd, 2013, 16:24
I've never heard of that one Paul but I've been a long time fan of the 'Thunderbird' stand-alone email reader. It's made by Mozilla, the same open-source outfit behind the Firefox web browser.

I never use(d) the web based email servers provided by my current and previous ISPs as I found them clunky and bloated and loaded with ads I didn't want to see anyway.

Thunderbird can be set up to access any email feed, has address books and can even download and display newsgroups (although the latter are slowly dying away as everyone moves to forums or the dreaded Farcebook).

PRB
April 2nd, 2013, 16:30
Yep, I looked into Thunderbird too. While you can use it to access your Yahoo email, you can't download the messages to your computer, unless you already have the Yahoo payware interface, which itself allows you to do the same thing. That was primarily what I was looking for, the ability to save e-mail messages to my computer, without having to buy the payware Yahoo client. So far this is the only one out there that will do it.

@Willy, she's famous for something, because she's on that American Idol show, of one of it's spin-offs. Yahoo thought something she said was very news-worthy. Not bad looking though... :)

glh
April 2nd, 2013, 17:48
What's a Nikki Manaj?

Soon-to-be a Wardrobe Malfunction waiting to happen to get attention. A younger Coco, if you will.

srgalahad
April 2nd, 2013, 20:52
My ISP has a webmail client that I use when travelling - on my laptop and my Blackberry tablet. Last fall I noticed a change as it loaded... they have switched to Zimbra.

So far, no complaints and it is fast.

Haven't tried adding my Yahoo account to it - suppose I should try

aeronca1
April 3rd, 2013, 05:05
Not bad looking though... :)

Methinks you need new glasses. :icon_lol: