PDA

View Full Version : Milviz P-38J/L "Red Bull" Redux - Released

MenendezDiego
March 30th, 2013, 12:52
In preparation for the all new Milviz P-38J Lightning, we are proud to announce the re-release of an old classic, the Milviz P-38J/L "Red Bull" Redux.

With updated flight dynamics, modified external and internal models/textures, we are sure you'll have an amazing time zipping by your competition at Reno Air races.

To Purchase, follow this link: http://milviz.com/fs/<wbr>item.php?id=P-38RB (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmilviz.com%2Ffs%2Fitem.php%3F id%3DP-38RB&h=JAQE7dNB8AQHNAm7onZ1ytWO0S5SqtcjJFtANCbScqGru9A&s=1)

http://youtu.be/qjQKkhkjJUM

All the best, Diego

glennc
March 30th, 2013, 17:27
Diego, - Since I don't see a forum for the P-38 on the Milviz site yet, I'll ask here. I don't see a pilots POH in the install so I don't know if the answer Is there. I installed it. It is positively gorgeous but I can't I can't get it started. For both the mixture controls and mags, they snap back to closed/off on all the usual ways to move then. Clicking the mags gets the to go on but they immediately snap off. With the mixtures, I have them mapped to an axis on my G940. I also tried manually moving them and ctrl-shift-F4. They won't stay open so no start. Am I missing something? - Glenn

krazycolin
March 30th, 2013, 17:30
Open the kneeboard. It contains all the relevant information.

Sorry for the missing manual. We're working on that RIGHT now.

Barfly
March 30th, 2013, 17:57
For a simple visual, just start with all toggle switches on the lower right side of the forward panel in the forward (up) position. You'll probably only have to left click one of the pair of battery toggle switches. You may not see that part of thr panel without pulling the yoke back, or you can hide the yoke by flipping the unmarked toggle nearest the lower left hand corner of the instrument panel.

Next, unlock the left mixture switch by left clicking on the black button on top of the left red lever - you should hear a click. Then control-e, and both engines will start in sequence.

glennc
March 30th, 2013, 19:28
That got it. I had found the "hide the yoke" switch. I remembered something like that on the older release. Of course, the clipboard had the answer but I had not thought to check that. Please don't misread this comment but there is no common practice among developers on using the clipboard so I don't go to it for there as a first check point. First flight: She's a hand full and that's a very good thing. :salute::applause: - Glenn PS: Still can't get my 'enter' <enter>key to work in the SOH forum.</enter>

Mach3DS
March 30th, 2013, 19:46
A little photoshoot...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8405/8604229547_212cf0091e_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8605331150_f2f352e932_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8398/8605330598_ce3d11c5cd_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8605330064_32ee0a5801_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8605329530_40b1acd413_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8605328892_ebe920292b_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8119/8605328268_bc1077d49b_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8605327688_dc9f7b889f_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8403/8605327112_92220cf765_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8254/8605326494_f2a51bc169_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8604223593_f797fb4bc5_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8390/8605325174_caca2855b1_h.jpg

Roadburner440
March 31st, 2013, 04:33
There are now forums! Was a pain in the rear to do on my IPad. Cannot wait for my laptop to arrive. Hope everyone is enjoying the P-38 so far, and if you need support email me at Roadburner440 at milviz dot com. Will be sure to get you in ASAP.

Ferry_vO
March 31st, 2013, 04:51
Why is the Red Bull name missing from the nose? Legal issues?

krazycolin
March 31st, 2013, 05:54
Yes... better to be safe rather than sorry in these days of litigation...

It's easy enough to add...

Dimus
March 31st, 2013, 06:09
Actually, the plane was like this earlier on in its career:

As Colin says, it would be a good and easy exercise for the talented painters to turn it into its current guise.

dvj
March 31st, 2013, 10:32
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1108/p38redbull.jpg

wombat666
March 31st, 2013, 21:35
Outstanding exercise in creating a polished metal finish.
:applause:
Not for me however as I really detest this sort of over the top 'restoration', but that's my personal opinion.
The rest of the RBR collection is interesting but suffers from the same treatment, the B25 in particular.
However, kudos to Milviz for an impeccable job.
:kilroy:

jankees
April 1st, 2013, 04:33
Hey, back from my holidays and a new P-38?
How does this compare with my previous favorite, the FSD P-38?

Mach3DS
April 1st, 2013, 04:51
Hey, back from my holidays and a new P-38?
How does this compare with my previous favorite, the FSD P-38?

http://www.milviz.com/fs/item.php?id=P-38RB

Here's the info. I'll let Diego or Colin fill you in. But it's greatly improved. The FDE alone is worth it, aside from the visual improvements IMO.

krazycolin
April 1st, 2013, 05:03
The external UV's are the same so your repaints should fit nicely. We did do some minor esthetic clean ups and also modified the parts that are modified on the Redbull.

As well, we did enhance the reflectivity by making it alpha dependent so that will add some pizazz as well.

We are, however, looking at redoing the external paint for the P-38L redux. Not sure yet... opinions are welcome though.

jankees
April 1st, 2013, 05:10
Thank you for the info, I'll wait for the L then!

gman5250
April 1st, 2013, 23:30
This is the Redbull skin I did for my previous version of this beauty, placed on the Milviz release. Hope no one minds if I share.

I spent quite a bit of time enhancing the bumps to create a truly natural looking skin and also worked on the skin color and reflectives...makes quite a stunning aircraft.
This one in motion is absolutely gorgeous.
The Milviz improvements are quite dramatic if you have flown the earlier versions. The aircraft is a dream to fly. Taxi is much more user intensive...adding to the realism. Thanks for a great release.
Anticipating the new one with relish...

Gman

This one below is a fictional version I did just for fun. The aluminum is more representative of an actual factory aircraft.

Dimus
April 2nd, 2013, 00:02
That looks stunning gman!

Are you going to share these paints?

alehead
April 2nd, 2013, 00:35
You are not making it easy for me to resist :)

A Bernt FDE is good enough a reason to buy with no further endorsement...

I have seen the RBR P-38 the last two years at Flying Legends... Up close and personal...

I am hoping for its participation this year as well...

Now, where was that store link?

A

Andrew Entwistle

gman5250
April 2nd, 2013, 01:00
That looks stunning gman!

Are you going to share these paints?

My paints are actually based on the J. I don't want to put the horse in front of the cart, so I'll wait 'till the gents at Milviz release the new bird, then I'll contribute my work. I'll probably want to tweak the paints to maximize the new version. Milviz enabled all the painter friendly tweaks in the model so updated skins will even better than the pics I posted. This model is alpha sensitive, so the possibilities are very tantilizing.
Right now I've got three versions of aluminum skin from service worn to high polish, and a few various paints I can put into the library as well.
Thanks for the compliment. I do work hard on these conversions and appreciate the input.

G

alehead
April 2nd, 2013, 01:58
GMan, great job there... just compared these with my close ups of the actual aircraft taken last year in summer...

:)

I am currently trying to fathom out how to activate the RXP GNS's... I see the entries in the panel.cfg, but I must be having a bad hair day, as I cannot see what I need to comment out...

I couldn't find any info or manual on this either... Is this what is being worked on currently?

A

stansdds
April 2nd, 2013, 02:02
Dang! That is nice. MilViz does some great work. :applause::applause::applause:

jankees
April 2nd, 2013, 02:09
one thing I forgot to ask, are there any plans for earlier models than the J and L? The engine shape is already there in the redbull model. Add some turbosuperchargers and bingo!

krazycolin
April 2nd, 2013, 03:27
We are only doing the L at this time. The cockpits for the older birds are pretty different so not really an option.

Sorry.

Mach3DS
April 2nd, 2013, 04:56
Gman, OUTSTANDING work!!!

gman5250
April 2nd, 2013, 07:14
Gman, OUTSTANDING work!!!

Thank you sir. :salute:

Bone
April 2nd, 2013, 08:03
Wow, gman. That is nice.

Bomber_12th
April 2nd, 2013, 08:32
I must echo the same sentiments - your modifications to the textures look excellent, Gman! Much better with the correct flat/flush rivets in use (Howard Hughes would be pleased). ; )

jankees
April 2nd, 2013, 08:45
and I forgot to add my compliments too! Major improvement, well done!

pilottj
April 2nd, 2013, 10:47
Thanks for this great little hotrod guys :) Nice hangarmate for the Civil P-51.

Cheers
TJ

gman5250
April 2nd, 2013, 14:35
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. My wife's father flew the P-38 in the South Pacific so I have given this particular aircraft a bit more attention than I have put into some of my others. I'll wait for Milviz to finish their improvements, then I'll revamp my skins from there.
I sure do like the new flight dynamics, great job. Did you guys tweak the sound sets too? The cockpit is appropriately quiet, and the engine sounds (turbo-superchargers) outside seem much more...well...stimulating. Nice.

luckydog
April 5th, 2013, 11:59
I'm having troubles with ground handling........I'm set to auto-rudder, but she won't turn ?!

TheGrunt
April 5th, 2013, 12:37
I'm having troubles with ground handling........I'm set to auto-rudder, but she won't turn ?!
Seems to be turning with differential brakes which is probably realistic.

I just bought this baby and it is goregous model. BUT. Have other found this to be very FPS intensive model? I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS even in the normal scenery and when I tried this in ORBX England I got sometimes figures under 20 FPS.

MenendezDiego
April 5th, 2013, 12:47

I just bought this baby and it is goregous model. BUT. Have other found this to be very FPS intensive model? I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS even in the normal scenery and when I tried this in ORBX England I got sometimes figures under 20 FPS.

Very interesting. I did some testing on my HP EliteBook 8530p, and she was amazing with frames. Granted, I was using Vanilla FSX (no scenery/weather addons).

All the best, Diego

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2013, 13:02
Testing along with Diego, I never noticed an FPS drop...unless I was in a high density area. And to be honest I try to test all aircraft in the stock PNW area with Clear skies, in order to get a good example of how it's going to play out. that way I've eliminated weather related FPS issues, and introduced a fairly robust stock area of FSX. But I've not encountered that problem with this bird. The F-86 on the other hand is a highly detailed model and so I get a couple FPS drop with that one, but nothing too bad.

krazycolin
April 5th, 2013, 13:37
23-28 with Orbx (and all that glass in the VC) not a surprise... and not that bad...

TheGrunt
April 5th, 2013, 13:46
23-28 with Orbx (and all that glass in the VC) not a surprise... and not that bad...
With ORBX it is more like in the 20's or little more and on regular scenery it is around 23-28 FPS. Weather was pretty cloudy, so graphical load was quite high and with clear weather FPS improved somewhat. It is just that compared to other birds I fly, I suffer some FPS hit with this baby, but if this sounds something to be expected then that's it :salute:

I will check that if there is some setting that seems to particularly take the hit when I have time.

luckydog
April 5th, 2013, 13:53

I can get it to turn with brakes......I just figured the nose-wheel was connected to the rudder pedals. Like you, I'm set at 30 fps, average in the mid 20's but when flying this model it drops down to 16-17 fps, even in un-populated areas.

krazycolin
April 5th, 2013, 14:08
This plane uses differential steering. No pedal control on the steering...

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2013, 15:02
It's optimized for differential steering....Colin beat me to it! But yes, if you can afford it, I like rudder pedals with toe brakes. gives you another dimension to the experience.

snow_white
April 6th, 2013, 01:29
This plane uses differential steering. No pedal control on the steering...

But if anyone would like to link it to rudder and cheat a bit and dont have nice set of braking rudder pedals and ground steering is hard. Very easy to change

Open aircraft.cfg file of the P-38. Then scroll down till you see the section for [contact points]

then see the first line (Contact Point.0 is normally the centre gear), then the 8th value will be 180 or 0 for differential steering (counting from 1 and not zero). change this value to 60 (or any value between 45 and 90) will give you steering with rudder (personally I like 60 - experiment with this value to find what is good for you).

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN EXAMPLE: DO NOT USE THESE LINES INTO P-38 Purely to illustrate how to change

example below of aircraft with differential steering
point.0=1.0, -37.0, 0.0, -1.00, 1575.0, 0.0, 0.75, 180.0, 0.22, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 (the 180 value sometimes is also 0 (zero)- 180 and 0 give same effect)

example of same aircraft with rudder steering
point.0=1.0, -37.0, 0.0, -1.00, 1575.0, 0.0, 0.75, 60.0, 0.22, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

Also make sure the 6th value is set to 0.
In this example, parameter 6 = 0.000 (center gear) and parameter 8 = 60.0 degrees deflection.

I do not own this plane but have used the above method on many a plane that do not have rudder steering and will do so till one day I can afford nice set of rudder pedals with braking.
until then this work a treat for me.

WarHorse47
April 6th, 2013, 06:11
I just picked this up last night. Great a/c.

With all the modern instrumentation I was looking for where to set the Nav1 for an ILS approach. Is this possible?

stansdds
April 6th, 2013, 06:13
The downside to many aircraft that have tricycle landing gear is that there is often little or no rudder authority (control) on the ground, so differential braking and engine power are used for ground handling.

gman5250
April 6th, 2013, 06:13
I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS even in the normal scenery and when I tried this in ORBX England I got sometimes figures under 20 FPS.

25-30 FPS with Extreme PC tweaks enabled, ORBX, REX real time weather and also over Blue Sky Scenery with the sliders turned up. I drop into the teens at an airport with lots of eye candy. Bear in mind that these are 4096 skins with layers of bump, bump alpha, spec and spec alpha...graphics dependent maybe, but worth the expense. One could drop down to 2048 and gain performance, but I'm ok at average 27 FPS with the detail turned up....

fliger747
April 6th, 2013, 08:20
Bernt Stolle did the Flight Dynamics for this one, but I have done any number of similar era aircraft. To my knowledge no WWII era fighter of bomber had nose wheel steering and virtually no taildragger of any size had tail wheel steering (some P 40 models may have had some sort of TWS). The most realistic implementation would be with both pedals and dual throttles. Pedals allow modulation of the brakes on either side. Dual throttles allow one to largely control the direction through differential thrust. Differential braking as set up in this plane (same as in F7F and A26) sends any braking to the wheel in proportion to the amount of rudder applied, ie. full rudder left would apply all the brake force to the left wheel. To reiterate, the P-38 did not have nose wheel steering, all direction control was through differential braking, differential thrust, and at higher speeds, rudder.

TheGrunt
April 6th, 2013, 08:56
Hmm, is there going to be an update already for P-38? Package seems to be the same at least so far. There was a following announcement in the Avsim frontpage from today:

The Beechcraft Baron B-55- Light GA Twin Series from Military Visualizations has a Service Release to enhance RXP 3D GNS 430 / 530 support and user assigned radio stack versatility.

Additional updates for lighting were included with items suggested by MV clients to round out the Service Pack . Owners of the B55 are instructed to download their Beechcraft from the original point of purchase as it becomes available , the update is now ready for download on the Military Visualizations Product Page for clients who ordered it from there.

Also released this Weekend is an update for the P38 RedBull Redux , this Service Pack modifies the RXP GNS 430 / 530 Integration as well and in addition further enhances systems controls with extra mouse options.

The Update is available from the Milviz P-38 Civilian Redbull Redux Product Page now and from the original point of purchase as it is made available by the distributors
Nice to see B55 updated too :applause:

WarHorse47
April 6th, 2013, 12:41
I just picked this up last night. Great a/c.

With all the modern instrumentation I was looking for where to set the Nav1 for an ILS approach. Is this possible?I repeat my question. Where does one set the Nav1 for an ILS approach?

krazycolin
April 6th, 2013, 13:29
Did you read the manual on the avionics system? And just to be sure, we don't provide support here. You will have to go to our forums, register (providing proof of purchase) and then post...

The changes in the P-38 were extremely minor and wouldn't be noticed except by those who use RXP... and even then...

tazman56
April 6th, 2013, 15:31
I've looked on the product page of the P38, but I can't find anything that leads you to an update. What am I missing.

Thanks

krazycolin
April 6th, 2013, 15:52
It's a full installer. Just download and go.

snow_white
April 7th, 2013, 06:18
Bernt Stolle did the Flight Dynamics for this one, but I have done any number of similar era aircraft. To my knowledge no WWII era fighter of bomber had nose wheel steering and virtually no taildragger of any size had tail wheel steering (some P 40 models may have had some sort of TWS). The most realistic implementation would be with both pedals and dual throttles. Pedals allow modulation of the brakes on either side. Dual throttles allow one to largely control the direction through differential thrust. Differential braking as set up in this plane (same as in F7F and A26) sends any braking to the wheel in proportion to the amount of rudder applied, ie. full rudder left would apply all the brake force to the left wheel. To reiterate, the P-38 did not have nose wheel steering, all direction control was through differential braking, differential thrust, and at higher speeds, rudder.

Yeah would be great to use as such, but not everybody have heaps of cash laying around to facilitate FSX controls for differential braking. So yeah there will always be some plebs like myself who would like to use nose wheel steering on a plane (immaterial of how it operated in real life)

krazycolin
April 7th, 2013, 09:37
Sorry but we do try for realistic behavior... No choice really... I don't have pedals either...

ryanbatc
April 7th, 2013, 10:28
I repeat my question. Where does one set the Nav1 for an ILS approach?

On the GPS... it's just like the stock one. Tune the freqs with the outer and inner knobs

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/Untitled-105.jpg

WarHorse47
April 7th, 2013, 12:04
Got it. Terminology threw me off. Thanks.

gman5250
April 8th, 2013, 19:49
[QUOTE=TheGrunt;795919]Have other found this to be very FPS intensive model? I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS...QUOTE]

I make 22-28...locked to 30. Bearing in mind this is a 4096 skin and the reflectives, that's not bad. You could drop to 2048 and pick up a bunch. I'm ok at my FPS and the level of detail at that high res....
Also fly two versions. One accurate steering with throttle and brake....the other is the lazy man version with tweaked code for nose wheel steering. I found that throttles were sufficient for steering and tapping the brakes too much made it a tad squirrely. If you are running Accusim 2 it will be even more sensitive. Keeps you one your toes...so to speak.

Now I gotta go back and tidy up those big screwheads for this model...I'll sharpen those up while we wait for the new model.

griphos
April 9th, 2013, 05:24
Has anyone dropped the resolution to 2048 or even 1024 to see if the FPS are indeed better? I'm interested in the plane (love the P-38) and am happy to run it at lower resolutions, but don't want any plane I can't fly at my locked 30 FPS, since all of the many planes I have already are able to do that.

gman5250
April 10th, 2013, 11:54
Has anyone dropped the resolution to 2048 or even 1024 to see if the FPS are indeed better? I'm interested in the plane (love the P-38) and am happy to run it at lower resolutions, but don't want any plane I can't fly at my locked 30 FPS, since all of the many planes I have already are able to do that.

I did some testing with this 2048 skin. As you can see I jumped to 50 FPS. I was seeing spikes up to 57...on the ground in a fairly memory intensive environment. In the air I'm sure I'd see 60+. That ain't bad. If you can live with some loss of resolution that's a winner. Compare the stencil text on this screenshot to the previous (here) and you'll see the difference. Rivets aren't too bad. Even at 2048 this skin doesn't suck, as evidenced by this screenshot.

I'll stay with 4096, but I'd have to say that a 2048 skin would probably help put you in the sweet spot. Also, if I open Photoshop it kills my FPS. Also a big monitor will kill FPS. I run a 43" at 1920x1080. If I resize my window to half screen my FPS go up accordingly. I fly full screen un-windowed. If I can make 30 on average I'm pretty happy.

To fly high memory, I shut down my various programs, run my tweak software to clean up FSX and open with a clean system. I see the FPS jump up dramatically when I use this approach. Hope this helps. I can post up this blank 2048 skin if the guys at Milviz don't object.

skin reduced from 4096 to 2048. blurring of rivet detail and stencil

4096 skin. sharper rivet and stencil detail

Mach3DS
April 10th, 2013, 14:19
gman, do you think you might be able to do one that is completely like the spinner texture (whole aircraft), of the highly polished look, in the first picture of this last post? You can keep it at 4096 if you wish, I have no issues! ;) Fantastic work!

gman5250
April 10th, 2013, 15:35
gman, do you think you might be able to do one that is completely like the spinner texture (whole aircraft), of the highly polished look, in the first picture of this last post? You can keep it at 4096 if you wish, I have no issues! ;) Fantastic work!

This is the same skin with 100% alpha, same as the spinner. I could remove some of the oxidize/weathering streaks etc. and get a bit higher shine, but I think this really matches the actual Red Bull aircraft. I'd go back and put a bit of edge reflection on the flush rivets and detail up the access fasteners for the 4096 model. That's easy enough in the bump alpha and base bmp.
I'd add some heat glazing around the turbo stacks too. I've got a trick I use in the spec layer that makes it change colors as you move around the airplane.
I haven't gone back and done that yet, but I'd sure be tempted for the Milviz model.

4096 texture with high alpha

griphos
April 10th, 2013, 15:51
Those 2048 shots look fine to me. Thanks for the reply!

TuFun
April 10th, 2013, 15:55
This is the same skin with 100% alpha, same as the spinner. I could remove some of the oxidize/weathering streaks etc. and get a bit higher shine, but I think this really matches the actual Red Bull aircraft. I'd go back and put a bit of edge reflection on the flush rivets and detail up the access fasteners for the 4096 model. That's easy enough in the bump alpha and base bmp.
I'd add some heat glazing around the turbo stacks too. I've got a trick I use in the spec layer that makes it change colors as you move around the airplane.
I haven't gone back and done that yet, but I'd sure be tempted for the Milviz model.

Awesome metal work "G"! I'm going to start doing stuff in 4k, just looks to good not too!;)

gman5250
April 10th, 2013, 16:21
Awesome metal work "G"! I'm going to start doing stuff in 4k, just looks to good not too!;)

Tell me you're not going to back and re-think the Howard TF!!!???

One trick, I often work in 2048 then re-sample up to 4096. It serves to act as a softening filter and really helps out with things like rivets that often look to sharp in the original design. Once re-sampled, you can start adding details like stencil text that you want to keep sharp. I'm actually going to re-do the stencil on the Lightning to bring it up to clean focus.

TuFun
April 10th, 2013, 16:35
Tell me you're not going to back and re-think the Howard TF!!!???

One trick, I often work in 2048 then re-sample up to 4096. It serves to act as a softening filter and really helps out with things like rivets that often look to sharp in the original design. Once re-sampled, you can start adding details like stencil text that you want to keep sharp. I'm actually going to re-do the stencil on the Lightning to bring it up to clean focus.

LOL... not at this time! The Howard is exploratory for me. Learning how to do all those cool stuff you can do in painting models. I'm continuing to improve my skills with new discoveries and testing, testing, and more testing. But hey... the wings could use some 4k love! -TF

Mach3DS
April 10th, 2013, 17:32
So...is it okay to ask that this one might see the light of day, sooner than later!? :) Again, such a great texture set. You've really captured the look of the Polished skin on this bird! Way to go!

gman5250
April 10th, 2013, 18:09
So...is it okay to ask that this one might see the light of day, sooner than later!? :) Again, such a great texture set. You've really captured the look of the Polished skin on this bird! Way to go!

You want that in the Red Bull or just a clean polished skin?

Barfly
April 10th, 2013, 18:58
I really like the slightly tarnished skin with the fully chromed out, blemish free spinners - a bit of old and new, nice contrasts. Anything you release would be well appreciated however :)

dvj
April 10th, 2013, 19:55
Hey guys, is there a way to change the reflection image on this model? Not sure what that is called. I'd like to replace it for my own personal use.

d

Mach3DS
April 10th, 2013, 21:51
You want that in the Red Bull or just a clean polished skin?

If I can make the request for the red bull, then yes, please. :)

gman5250
April 10th, 2013, 22:59
If I can make the request for the red bull, then yes, please. :)

Can do, I did some work on the files and tidied up some loose ends. Red Bull has polished screws in the anti glare on the nose and nacelles, so I addressed those.
I've got a high polish version ready to upload, and the clean skin is ready to go also. I'm having a bit of a glitch on the upload.

I've attched screens of the high gloss you were inquiring about. This is about 90% alpha. Also the Red Bull with clean rivets and high polish.

Looks like I have to contact the administrator to get my glitch fixed. I'll have these skins loaded on the site tomorrow...

gman5250
April 11th, 2013, 00:02
Hey guys, is there a way to change the reflection image on this model? Not sure what that is called. I'd like to replace it for my own personal use.

d

reflect.dds is the file you are looking for. the model allows this file to be replaced with another envelope file if you have your own you want to experiment with.

jankees
April 11th, 2013, 01:41
hey, that last shot looks cool with the A-26 in the background..

Mach3DS
April 11th, 2013, 04:49
gman, that looks incredible! The rivets within the OD paint look especially good. Nice job! Thank you very much. :)

alehead
April 11th, 2013, 04:58
That is STUNNING!

Now, if you can put the N25Y on the tailfins...

Not that it matters if they aren't there, mind...

I would be extremely grateful for a copy of this...

A

gman5250
April 11th, 2013, 10:14
Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the acknowledgements.
I love working on a good platform and this plane keeps getting better and better. The new bird should be spectacular.

I'm still waiting to resolve the upload glitch. If I can't resolve it here today, I'll load to a remote location and link to it 'till I can get them up here.
The Red Bull and polished blank are ready. I've added the tail numbers on RB and tuned up the rivets and GP.

I need a consensus...would you like to see the Red Bull as per the actual aircraft or leave it the way it is? Or would you like to have the option for both?

glennc
April 11th, 2013, 10:19
Actual aircraft please, with whatever registration it has.

Glenn

Mach3DS
April 11th, 2013, 10:41
For sure the actual aircraft. But if it doesn't cause toouch time and energy both would be great to have.

Mach3DS
April 11th, 2013, 11:04
Two small requests if I may. This is a change to the base paint for every aircraft. Current the exhaust pipes are polished, but in reality they are a dark/dirty/tinted/burnt in color. Anyway to change this also? It's something I think should be changed overall, not just your repaints.

The second is the elevator counter weights( upper and lower) need to be painted as well to reflect the actual aircraft

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7117/7449456532_94e4e682b7.jpg

gman5250
April 11th, 2013, 13:03
What a great shot...I can add that. I've done the bluing on the fuse booms aft of the stacks. I'll blue the stacks...if I can find them...lol.
The original as released is ready to go with my mods. I'll put both versions in the textue upload.

Mach3DS
April 11th, 2013, 13:58
gman, fantastic. I really think this is THE Red Bull P-38 repaint to have. One question, what airport are you using in the screenshots?

gman5250
April 11th, 2013, 15:09
gman, fantastic. I really think this is THE Red Bull P-38 repaint to have. One question, what airport are you using in the screenshots?

Thanks Rick, this one's getting pretty tight alright. It's definitely a keeper. I'm still waiting to hear from admin on my glitch. Still can't upload.

I'm using my home airports KMMH and KBIH. I've modeled them pretty close to the real thing. Still a WIP...re-landscaping, but coming along. I run out there with the camera every so often but TSA thinks I'm a terrorist or something and gets all bowed up.

Whaday think of the tail weight....cute huh?

Mach3DS
April 11th, 2013, 16:09
Brilliant man! It looks great! I love all the detail in this one now. Thanks for listening and being willing to make those additions to an already great paint.

Skyhawk_310R
April 11th, 2013, 18:12
As previously mentioned, in addition to nearly total use of free castoring tailwheels and nosewheels, it was a vital part of the before takeoff checklists for the pilot to lock either wheel to ensure that running down the runway the free castoring wheel didn't hit a bump and get out of true alignment and send the aircraft into a disasterous ground loop. The pilot did not unlock the free castoring wheel until after he stopped his landing roll and had to resume taxi operations.

Ken

gman5250
April 11th, 2013, 18:20

Nest...KBIH. Owens Valley, Eastern Sierra, CA. Beautiful country.

Bomber_12th
April 11th, 2013, 18:27
As previously mentioned, in addition to nearly total use of free castoring tailwheels and nosewheels, it was a vital part of the before takeoff checklists for the pilot to lock either wheel to ensure that running down the runway the free castoring wheel didn't hit a bump and get out of true alignment and send the aircraft into a disasterous ground loop. The pilot did not unlock the free castoring wheel until after he stopped his landing roll and had to resume taxi operations.

Ken

The nose gears on these aircraft (and the like) never had locks - the thing you do (and would have done) is to taxi forward a little bit on the runway before advancing the throttles so that you know the nose gear is aligned straight (in any MS Flight Simulator, unfortunately the nose/tail gear automatically aligns straight with the aircraft as soon as you stop moving, so it isn't really something that is that important to do in the sim). The tailwheels on some warbirds (like on the Spitfire) didn't have locks either. What you describe is how it is on aircraft like the B-17, DC-3, C-46, Sea Fury, Mustang, Corsair, P-47, Bearcat, etc.

Dimus
April 11th, 2013, 22:51
gman, you are really doing this great model justice. Since you have already put considerable time and effort in recreating the actual livery, here is a pic of the upper surfaces showing the exhaust area as well as the fact that the OD paint on the inboard of the nacelles extends a bit more aft. I also wonder if some of the gills can be painted on.

Thanks again for your efforts.

edit: Also the Red Bull wording is painted on the inside of the flaps and shows when extended:

Mach3DS
April 12th, 2013, 04:51
Dimus, thanks for reposting those images here.

gman5250
April 12th, 2013, 06:51
Nice. Thanks Dimus. I still can't manage to upload yet...haven't heard back on the glitch.
While I'm waiting for admin to answer me back I'll make those changes.

gman5250
April 12th, 2013, 07:01
Nice. Thanks Dimus. While I'm waiting for admin to answer me back I'll make that addition.
I'll add more bluing and exhaust on the booms too.

While we're having this discussion, do we want to see the booms more dull in the radiator area as per the photos I've seen, or keep it gorgeous??? I lean towards beauty for the model. I can always do both... its a basic tweak on the alpha.

Hey...does anyone know the location of the turbo stack on the art? It's proving to be very ellusive. Can't isolate it yet.

Dimus
April 12th, 2013, 07:48
Don't know if it's relevant gman but the Red Bull plane does not have turbos, this is why the exhaust is different and the turbo stack is covered.

Mach3DS
April 12th, 2013, 08:01
Gman, are you referring to the blue/exhaust marks aft of the exhaust port on the boom? I would say it's a flying bird, so if you can add it in that would be spectacular. :)

gman5250
April 12th, 2013, 08:37
Dimus...thanks for the correction on the turbos.

I've done the exhaust on the booms, I'm trying to isolate the actual exhaust stack on the sheets...these parts can be placed anywhere and sometimes hard to find.

I added the flaps logo and extended the GP on the nacelles....and added the louvers. I'm still working on positioning but they look good. After looking at pics I darkened and colored the exhaust on the booms aft of the stacks.
Also increased gloss to the vert stab stripes and nose art. Check out the balancers on the h stab.

stansdds
April 13th, 2013, 03:37
She is very much a flying bird, not just a museum piece. I think she should have some discoloration and staining of the exhaust stack and the sheet metal directly aft of the stack.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Red_Bull_P-38_Lightning_in_the_cockpit_%285931248095%29.jpg

http://blog.aopa.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/redbullp38.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7449027774_48485703e3_c.jpg

gman5250
April 13th, 2013, 08:48
Close shot of the heat bluing and exhaust. You can see the added louvers also.

Mach3DS
April 13th, 2013, 08:54
Great Job gman! All I have to say is, when can I get my bird in the paint shop! ;)

gman5250
April 13th, 2013, 10:32
Great Job gman! All I have to say is, when can I get my bird in the paint shop! ;)

Yeah...I know. I uploaded the zips to my own filehost page. I have to make an html page to link to, then you an get the birds. I put three up, Red Bull, high polish and an aged skin. That will happen today. I never did hear back from admin, but when I get that resolved I'll post up here too. Also I'm going to the local library that has a T1 connect. I'll try SOH from there and see if I have better results.

The pics here really don't do this girl justice. In movement she's pretty impressive. You'll enjoy this mod.

:jump:

alehead
April 13th, 2013, 12:52
Amazing likeness with the real world aircraft. Thank you for going the extra miles to make it true... love the work...

@KrazyColin

I am a little confused about the service pack and versions. I purchased directly through the F1 wrapper on 2 April. The file size on extraction is 68,778,707 bytes on my system. I understand that the service pack is in effect a new full installer (which I just downloaded this evening), which, when extracted, I find to be exactly the same 68,778,707 bytes. I am an RXP user, so I am interested in the update...

Do you want me to post this on the milviz forum?

A

krazycolin
April 13th, 2013, 13:09
I am not 100% sure that this one contains the RXP fix.

Install it and see.

I will check on my side this evening and verify it.

gman5250
April 13th, 2013, 13:20

The files are loaded on my site.

Thanks Rick. Sorry for the delays, but I made some additions during the wait.

I will load the files here as soon as we resolve the upload glitch (arrrgggghhh) .

In the meantime I've created a page on my own site. You can download the files here. Let me know if there are any issues with these downloads.

Link:

http://summitbookings.com/filehost.html

dvj
April 13th, 2013, 14:20
Awesomeness!:icon29::guinness::icon29:

gman5250
April 13th, 2013, 20:21
Hey Colin,

If you catch this thread....I installed the update and the plane flips end for end when I load it. I went back to my old cfg. file and it's fine.

I thought I might be my tweaks, but the virgin file from the upload shows this annomaly. Thought I'd give you the HU before everyone starts baggin' on you.

krazycolin
April 13th, 2013, 20:32
Crud.

Thanks. Damn and drat.

gman5250
April 13th, 2013, 21:02
Crud.

Thanks. Damn and drat.

LOL....sorry. Sleep is highly over rated anyway. I just go out and fire up the coffee pot.

Dimus
April 14th, 2013, 02:11
Thanks so much Gman! I really appreciate you doing this amazing paintwork.

dougal
April 14th, 2013, 02:58
When I click on 'Buy Now' at Milviz, I just get a '404 File Not Found' error!!!!

dougal
April 14th, 2013, 03:46
Also, for anyone at Milviz...

A couple of times now I've asked for password resets on the Milviz forum. I get a message stating its been sent to my email address, it doesn't arrive. Nothing in my spam or bulk folders.

Ta!

krazycolin
April 14th, 2013, 04:34
we've had to put the P-38 sales on hold whilst we fix the problem in the installer. It will be done soon.

sorry for the troubles.

Please send roadburner440 at milviz dot com an email and he will get you sorted...

krazycolin
April 14th, 2013, 04:48
I have now had the P-38 installer tested and it works fine. Perhaps you're using some kind of addon? Like one that makes your sounds and bounce more "realisitic"? Try it without any addons please.

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 05:26
Thanks so much Gman! I really appreciate you doing this amazing paintwork.

Thank you for your input Dimus. Let me know if you find any buggers...this is a WIP and I can correct and improve on it.

G

dougal
April 14th, 2013, 05:50
I've managed to buy this nice looking bird, but I think there's some serious probs with it? ;-( I cannot get it to start at all. I've tried both default Ctrl-E and also the manual start as per the manual.

Some of the switches refuse to move at all including the Avionics Master switch. It 'clicks' but doesn't move. Neither can I get the prop pitch levers to operate but guess that's cos they wont go to manual without power???

I also see there's no means of uninstalling this software. No entries anywhere.

If it helps, I actually UNINSTALLED my AV software prior to installation. UAC is also off.

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 06:30
I just did the re-install with the current rev. I'm good to go...startup procedure worked for me. I'm working with the virgin install...no tweaks.

TeiscoDelRay
April 14th, 2013, 06:46
About the cockpit, did Red Bull really paint their P-38 cockpit all white inside? If so do they do that to all their warbirds?

glennc
April 14th, 2013, 09:04
Dougal, read the first five posts in this thread. Been there, done that.

Glenn

I've managed to buy this nice looking bird, but I think there's some serious probs with it? ;-( I cannot get it to start at all. I've tried both default Ctrl-E and also the manual start as per the manual.

Some of the switches refuse to move at all including the Avionics Master switch. It 'clicks' but doesn't move. Neither can I get the prop pitch levers to operate but guess that's cos they wont go to manual without power???

I also see there's no means of uninstalling this software. No entries anywhere.

If it helps, I actually UNINSTALLED my AV software prior to installation. UAC is also off.

n4gix
April 14th, 2013, 11:03
Hey Colin,

If you catch this thread....I installed the update and the plane flips end for end when I load it. I went back to my old cfg. file and it's fine.
That's strange. I used ExamDiff to validate the original and the updated aircraft.cfg files; it reports that they are identical, byte-for-byte... :icon_eek:

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 13:10
That's strange. I used ExamDiff to validate the original and the updated aircraft.cfg files; it reports that they are identical, byte-for-byte... :icon_eek:

I'm not sure what the glitch was, but Colin worked on it last night. The new rev. fixed the anomally. Usually I'll get that behavior in slew mode if I hotkey an arrow button, but this was on load. Anyway...it's fixed.

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 16:09
I've been trying to upload these P-38 skins for five days now. I get a message saying I don't have permissions.
If there is a problem I'd appreciate a heads up.

I've contacted admin three times but gotten no response.

I donate this work...it's free. I put a bunch of time into these failed uploads.

There's a bunch of guys out there waiting for these skins...

krazycolin
April 14th, 2013, 18:08
Send me a link (use sendspace.com) and I will put it up on our FTP

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 18:22
Send me a link (use sendspace.com) and I will put it up on our FTP

Thanks Colin...that would be great.

I've loaded them to a backdoor page on my business site.
Link: http://summitbookings.com/filehost.html (http://summitbookings.com/filehost.html)

They're all zipped up and ready to go. You can download them there...or I can send them via your link.
Or, if you have a public folder on your FTP I can just shoot 'em in there.
Let me know which you prefer.

I went back and tuned them up today. If you find any issues with them...let me know.

Gman

krazycolin
April 14th, 2013, 18:56
Done.

http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2950&p=27267#p27267

Please feel free to propagate this information.

Thanks for the repaints!

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 19:17
Done...
Thanks for the repaints!

:icon29: :guinness:

gman5250
April 14th, 2013, 22:02
Colin,

I fixed a small flaw in the P-38 Lightning L Blank.zip file. I've uploaded the new file with the touch up...same link.
There was a shadow at the drop tank hard point. I cleaned that up and re-loaded the file. The other two didn't have that anomally.

stansdds
April 15th, 2013, 02:10
About the cockpit, did Red Bull really paint their P-38 cockpit all white inside? If so do they do that to all their warbirds?

The cockpit really is painted white. This P-38 previously belonged to Lefty Gardner. He restored this P-38 in a overall white paint scheme and painted the cockpit white as well. I guess Red Bull decided to keep the white interior. As far as I know, their other warbirds do not have white interiors.

Mach3DS
April 15th, 2013, 04:48
gman, thanks for the repaints! The Red Bull is fanstastic. thanks for taking the time to go the extra mile in the small details department. It really paid off.

gman5250
April 15th, 2013, 04:57
gman, thanks for the repaints! The Red Bull is fanstastic. thanks for taking the time to go the extra mile in the small details department. It really paid off.

You are quite welcome...and thanks for the acknowledgement. This is a good platform and deserves the TLC.

big-mike
April 15th, 2013, 07:45
I`m a bit late to the party but i got my copy today and i`m in love with this shiny beauty.
Many many thanks to the Milviz team and Gordon for the nice paints-----great job!
Michael

gman5250
April 15th, 2013, 08:15
The three skins have been uploaded on the Milviz site:
http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopi...p=27267#p27267 (http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2950&p=27267#p27267)

Many thanks to Colin and crew for posting these up.

These are the three variants, Aluminum, Polished and Red Bull. I'll also upload these skins here as soon as I can resolve the upload glitch.

Enjoy...Gman

WarHorse47
April 15th, 2013, 11:00
Thanks for the great skins. But, I have a couple questions.

I was able to download the Red Bull and the Polished paints, but cannot find the Aluminum paint. The Milviz site has two links to the identical zip files, "P-38 L Red Bull.zip" so is one of these the Aluminum paint or is that another file name?

As for my second question (while we are on a roll), would there be a possible paint for the original White Lighting? Finding this Milviz gem prompted me to watch a video on Lefty Gardner that I picked up at one of my first Reno Races, so a repaint of White Lightning would be a nice addition.

Thanks.

gman5250
April 15th, 2013, 11:06
I was able to download the Red Bull and the Polished paints, but cannot find the Aluminum paint. The Milviz site has two links to the identical zip files, "P-38 L Red Bull.zip" so is one of these the Aluminum paint or is that another file name?

As for my second question (while we are on a roll), would there be a possible paint for the original White Lighting?

Colin will straighten out the link over at Milviz.
I have been successful in uploading all three files on this site. As soon as admin approves them they will be available for download. Just look for the aluminum file for your download.

The White Lightning would be a great skin to add to the mix. If you have some pics, post them up here and I'll have a look.

WarHorse47
April 15th, 2013, 11:20
Sound good. I'll keep watching for the aluminum paint.

As for White Lightning, I do have pics but unfortunately not in digital format and my old scanner doesn't play well with Win8.

But this site (http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p38registry/p38-4453254.html) should help..

gman5250
April 15th, 2013, 12:03
Sound good. I'll keep watching for the aluminum paint.

All three are up in FSX skins. I double checked the links...they're good. You can get the aluminum file now.

I'll put the "White Lightning" in the que. There's plenty of photos available for reference. Thanks for the suggestion.

WarHorse47
June 9th, 2013, 18:26
All three are up in FSX skins. I double checked the links...they're good. You can get the aluminum file now.

I'll put the "White Lightning" in the que. There's plenty of photos available for reference. Thanks for the suggestion.How's the que?? Or in other words, have you had the chance to look into a "White Lightning" texture by chance?? :salute:

WarHorse47
April 5th, 2014, 12:55
I'll put the "White Lightning" in the que. There's plenty of photos available for reference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone hear anything from ******** in the last few months??

I was hoping he might tackle a "White Lightning" repaint for the Milviz P-38 redux, but he hasn't posted anything since last December nor has he responded to any PMs.

He did some great repaints early on, but it seems that this release has quickly been forgotten.

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2014, 14:01
I think he's been involved with the Manfred DC3 project. I have spoken to him a few.times since this release...but not about repaints for it.

dougal
April 5th, 2014, 16:45
I would SOOOooooo love to see some more repaints for this amazing aircraft. Even (dare I say it?) fictitious ones.

WarHorse47
April 5th, 2014, 17:31
While your waiting for some new repaints to show up, you might want to try importing some from the FSD version.

I read a post by Colin that it was doable, so I did a little experimenting this morning.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/2014-4-5_18-11-14-163_zpsf0a7f277.jpg

Now I have a modern day Yippie...

WarHorse47
April 6th, 2014, 07:28
..however, I still would like to see someone do a "White Lightning" repaint for this bird.

If ******** is tied up, might someone else be interested?? Hint, hint. :untroubled: