PDA

View Full Version : RE: 10th anniversery for Meigs Field

brad kaste
March 30th, 2013, 11:04
http://www.flyingmag.com/news/meigs-field-commemorated-10-years-after-closing#3ZB90Z6wEddOYuXf.03

I don't want this to turn into a political football,....but I think it's necessary to post a sad passing date for Chicago aviation.

pilottj
March 30th, 2013, 11:14
What a tragedy. Meigs will never be forgotten.

In honor of the two Chicago treasures lost. Meigs Field and Old Maxwell Street. :salute:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/03/01/tUPG.jpg

beana51
March 30th, 2013, 12:08
"Chicago, Chicago--that toddlin' town.
Chicago, Chicago--I will show you around. I love it.
Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose the blues in Chicago, Chicago.
The town that Billy Sunday couldn't shut down"......................................Others of course did just that!!

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/IL/Airfields_IL_Chicago_C.htm

av8erjm
March 31st, 2013, 10:33
No comment, since I'm looked at as being to political, and being chastised as such

Naismith
March 31st, 2013, 10:42
10 years? Really? That went fast. :pop4:

Terry
March 31st, 2013, 10:56
How many of you attended COP? :mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
March 31st, 2013, 11:40
Has it been that long :icon_eek: :ques:
I have fond childhood memories of airshows at Meigs....

brad kaste
March 31st, 2013, 19:03
How many of you attended COP? :mixedsmi:

Well,...if you did attend the Chicago's Century of Progress,...you'd be one old geezer today. COP took place in 1933. If you were born in that year,...you'd be 80 years old today. So adding another 10 or 20 years to those eight decades would then move you up to 90-100 years of age. Naaaaah,...I don't thing there's too many persons around today who attended the Chicago Century of Progress.......:kilroy:

luckydog
March 31st, 2013, 21:32
Flew a 172 into there way back when......

TARPSBird
March 31st, 2013, 23:21
The destruction of Meigs in the dead of night was an act of vandalism that no responsible mayor would inflict on a transportation facility in his/her city. Now the site is just a big open area with no development. That really improved the downtown area. At least we can keep Meigs open in FS.

Terry
April 1st, 2013, 05:34
Well,...if you did attend the Chicago's Century of Progress,...you'd be one old geezer today. COP took place in 1933. If you were born in that year,...you'd be 80 years old today. So adding another 10 or 20 years to those eight decades would then move you up to 90-100 years of age. Naaaaah,...I don't thing there's too many persons around today who attended the Chicago Century of Progress.......:kilroy:

Can't you see the smiley, it was just a bit of humor. I see you don't show your age, perhaps you were there?

brad kaste
April 1st, 2013, 05:58
Can't you see the smiley, it was just a bit of humor. I see you don't show your age, perhaps you were there?

Hi Terry,.....yes, I knew you were kidding all along. So was I. Apparently it didn't pull off as tongue-in-cheek as I had intended. I was born a good ten years after the opening of the Chicago's Century of Progress. Like most of us,...I've only seen photographs and mementos of the grand event. One of the more cooler group of exhibits were the various homes/villages/temples reconstructed on sight. With of course an accompanying group of indigenous persons representing that particular country.

Terry
April 1st, 2013, 06:17
Hi Terry,.....yes, I knew you were kidding all along. So was I. Apparently it didn't pull off as tongue-in-cheek as I had intended. I was born a good ten years after the opening of the Chicago's Century of Progress. Like most of us,...I've only seen photographs and mementos of the grand event. One of the more cooler group of exhibits were the various homes/villages/temples reconstructed on sight. With of course an accompanying group of indigenous persons representing that particular country.

I would have liked to ride the cable car that ran across the ironwork, and let's not forget the blimp rides. People knew how to have fun back then.