PDA

View Full Version : Question re changing glass texture

expat
March 29th, 2013, 15:20
How does one modify a glass texture in FSX to give it a darker tint? It's the "glass_t.dds" for the Virtavia Skyray. I know how to change the alpha with dxt.bmp to dial in or out reflection vs transparency but not sure how to give the main texture bitmap a darker (or e.g. bluer) tint.

Jafo
March 29th, 2013, 15:48
You need a proggy such as dxtBmp that can show you the main and alpha layers of the glass.bmp or glass.dds [whatever] and the main can be coloured more blue.... but also to 'darken' the translucency the alpha needs to be a few shades lighter [less transparent]...;)

falcon409
March 29th, 2013, 16:28
Expat mentions that he's using DXTbmp for the alpha already "Jafo". . .I have seen some tint the main glass texture and then use the alpha to lighten or darken. . . .some have also had to revert to "MDLMatXX" and then locate the material used for the glass and do the tint that way.

Jafo
March 29th, 2013, 22:00
Expat mentions that he's using DXTbmp for the alpha already "Jafo". . .I have seen some tint the main glass texture and then use the alpha to lighten or darken. . . .some have also had to revert to "MDLMatXX" and then locate the material used for the glass and do the tint that way.
Yes, sometimes it's coded into the model....guess we need to look at this specific plane ...and see what's what....;)

expat
March 30th, 2013, 00:01
Thanks guys. I suspect it may be the material in the model that needs to be changed as the color of the main texture is already black. Changing the alpha from dark to light only makes the glass surface more reflective - that I have under control.

Cheers.

Jafo
March 30th, 2013, 03:53
Thanks guys. I suspect it may be the material in the model that needs to be changed as the color of the main texture is already black. Changing the alpha from dark to light only makes the glass surface more reflective - that I have under control.

Cheers.
Sounds like it...if the alpha's used for shine and not transparency. You may be stuck with the way it is...;)