PDA

View Full Version : Which Processor?

Slund
January 9th, 2009, 08:48
I am buying a new laptop and have the option of either the Intel® Core™2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz or the Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9100 2.26GHz. Which would be the best choice for running FSX?
:rapture:

harleyman
January 9th, 2009, 09:11
I would think that this would by far be the best...

Core™2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz

Although the quads are great now for FSX,that one you specked is only 2.26Gh and IMO is a little low for FSX..The cores 3-4 will just run textures for FSX anyway....

So IMO I feel that the duo is going to give you better performance....

Unless you can Overclock that quad..FSX likes a processor of around 3.2 - 3.6..be a duo or a quad....

But...Try and get some other opinions before you purchase if you can.....

Slund
January 9th, 2009, 09:31
Thanks Harleyman, i've gotten the same response from a few others so the dual core will be the way I go. Thanks for the reply :ernae:

kilo delta
January 9th, 2009, 10:16
Yep...go with the dual core. I'm looking at a notebook with this very processor (an Alienware M17) and they too offer the X9300 quad. Unfortunately overclocking a notebook is a no-no as even if the bios allowed this, the heat build up would soon cause problems.

harleyman
January 9th, 2009, 11:00
Let us know how well it does on that will ya...?

Enjoy.....:friday:

Slund
January 9th, 2009, 13:01
Looks like we were looking at the same laptop Kilo Delta, it's the M17 that I just ordered, I'll certainly let you guys know how FSX performs when it arrives.

harleyman
January 9th, 2009, 13:09
Looks like we were looking at the same laptop Kilo Delta, it's the M17 that I just ordered, I'll certainly let you guys know how FSX performs when it arrives.

Please do...Can't wait....:ernae:

kilo delta
January 9th, 2009, 13:52
I'd a go of one during the week......fantastic machine! I didn't get a chance to run FSX though. I've been biding my time before I order as I want dual 4870 cards (when they're available). :) What spec did you order? Best of luck with the new purchase :ernae::ernae:

Slund
January 9th, 2009, 14:30
Here are the specs, just placed the order a few minutes ago. I'm replacing a Dell M1710 that was stolen from my house just before Christmas. The M1710 would run FSX but at lower settings so Fs9 was still a better option for me. I'm hoping that this laptop will finally allow me to fly FSX, especially with the Dodo 206 coming out for FSX sometime soon...

Video/Graphics Card: 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
Design & Display: Black Skullcap Design
Chassis: 17-Inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p) with Clearview Technology
Keyboard Options: Non-Illuminated Keyboard – with Numeric Pad - No color options available
Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
Notebook Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control or TV Tuner
Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1066MHz – 2 x 2048MB

kilo delta
January 9th, 2009, 14:48
Very nice :applause:...it should run FSX very well. Glad to see that you went with the skullcap..........looks a heck of a lot better than the Ripley design. Now Im going to have to sit on my hands in order to avoid clicking the "order" button too:faint::)

harleyman
January 9th, 2009, 15:39
I know several that use that vid card and its NICE....great looking set up there..nice resolution for a laptop too...:ernae:

Slund
January 28th, 2009, 07:32
My new laptop arrived the other day, but so far it's caused more grief than good. I loaded FSX and Acceleration, making sure to load the default flight after installing FSX, then rebooted the computer, loaded Acceleration, defragged and re-booted. When I ran the default microsoft defrag it never did manage to finish, it ran all night and still wasn't done in the morning. So, I ran the defrag again using IObit which seemed to work well. When I fired up FSX the background music was very broken and garbled and control of my mouse was erratic? I shut it down and when I started it the second time things seemed to be working better. With the default setting I was getting 35-40 FPS flying out of small airports. There does seem to be a problem with the Vertical Sync setting in the ATI Catalyst control panel as I get texture tearing when I look around the cockpit with TrackIR? I have Vertical Sync set to "always off" but it doesn't seem to make a difference what setting I use. I don't have any other games that I can load to see if the problem is with the software or possible a hardware issue so any advice would be great.
I'm planning to try to repair FSX before I do a complete re-install, which disk should I use to repair FSX Acceleration? Does the Acceleration disk have a repair function or do I use the FSX repair?

harleyman
January 28th, 2009, 08:00
Hey...FSX can be a pain at times...

Have a look at this thread for ATI related problems..

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8902

I think you want Vert. Hold on....

To test hardware go to any game site and download their Demo and you can tell that way......

Not sure which has repair.but I would try Acceleration first....

I always use Iobit defragger.....

Slund
January 29th, 2009, 08:06
Well, I loaded up FSX last night and the sound issues seem to have gone away??? I still can't figure out why Vertical Sync can't be forced off? the texture tearing when I look around the cockpit is hard to ignore. I'm going to try re-installing the drivers for my GPU tonight. I don't think that corrupt drivers would only result in VSync not working but I'm not sure what else I can try?

harleyman
January 30th, 2009, 05:07
I am unclear what you are asking about Vert Sync (on - off)

Look in the post just above this one and look thru it...txnetcop has posted pics there..In one pic you will see where in the CCC you turn on Vert sync and turn it off...If you set your CVCC up like that you should have no problem....

Slund
January 30th, 2009, 07:58
Thanks Harleyman, I did look at the above post and did exactly what it described to try and turn VSinc off but it makes no difference. With my last Nvidia GPU if I tried to enable VSinc it would result in texture tearing when I panned around the cockpit so I always set it to "Forced Off" with this new Radeon card it doesn't make any difference what setting I use, the texture tearing still happens. On a more positive note, FSX seems to be running much better now on my system (for no apparent reason). I still haven't played around with the setting to see just how far I can push things but currently I have my FPS locked at 32 and it almost never goes below 31 so I quite pleased. :applause:

harleyman
January 30th, 2009, 13:52
Man...had a time getting in here today.......

Still giving me trouble just typing here...Hmmmmmm

I am at a loss as to whats going on......The new 9.1 drivers are out now..maybe give them a try and see....

Or try just running your CCC all at default and see how it does there..Then just add in AA and AF as you need it..

This is my first ATI card too and am also having troubles....AKKKKKK