PDA

View Full Version : CFS2.CFG is "stuck" on "invincible"

Yogi
March 28th, 2013, 14:11
I've ran into a new problem, at least for me, and I can't figure out a solution.

Apparently CFS2.CFG is "stuck" on a setting that makes all of my Player Aircraft "invincible." I didn't even know what the "invincible setting" did until I did some research on this problem. When one of my Player Aircraft crashes it suddenly reappears at altitude. It happens in Missions and Free Flight and Quick Combat. And it happens with various Player Aircraft in all Theatres and multiple airfields.

The actual setting in CFS2.CFG (under Realism) has "invincible" OFF. It is also OFF in the Game under Settings. I've tried turning in ON and then a restart and then OFF but I'm back at altitude in both cases. I've also changed other Realism settings and other settings elsewhere and they all change as they should.

I replaced my CFS2,CFG with a clean original copy from the CFS2 Game Disk and the problem is still there.

I've also deleted all CDP Files and all Filelists and the six main Index Files and the problem persists.

I noticed this problem a few weeks ago but I have not flown a complete mission in quite some time so I really don't know how long it's been there.

A couple of years ago I decided that, if I was going to continue my addiction to CFS2, I had to do as much as possible to improve Frame Rates. So I have spent many, many hours going through the game with a Frame Speed of 35 FPS my main goal. I mothballed airfields and targets that weren't used and changed scenery that slowed things down. The only Player Aircraft in a mission is the actual Player Aircraft. All other aircraft are true AIs that have been tested in bombing or strafing missions. I'm currently going through each mission to insure 35 FPS. I still have a lot to do.

But I don't think that any of my changes have a bearing on this problem but then again I can't fix the problem. The Game is much leaner and meaner already and I haven't noticed anything else wrong.

It's been my experience that, once you find something wrong, you had better fix it because, if you don't, that will lead to the next problem. I sent a PM to Rami about this and he says he's never ran into this problem before. He suggested that I start a thread.

So, if you have any input I would appreciate the help.

Thanks for your help.

Yogi

Maxstuka
March 28th, 2013, 14:25
I've ran into a new problem, at least for me, and I can't figure out a solution.

Apparently CFS2.CFG is "stuck" on a setting that makes all of my Player Aircraft "invincible." I didn't even know what the "invincible setting" did until I did some research on this problem. When one of my Player Aircraft crashes it suddenly reappears at altitude. It happens in Missions and Free Flight and Quick Combat. And it happens with various Player Aircraft in all Theatres and multiple airfields.

The actual setting in CFS2.CFG (under Realism) has "invincible" OFF. It is also OFF in the Game under Settings. I've tried turning in ON and then a restart and then OFF but I'm back at altitude in both cases. I've also changed other Realism settings and other settings elsewhere and they all change as they should.

I replaced my CFS2,CFG with a clean original copy from the CFS2 Game Disk and the problem is still there.

I've also deleted all CDP Files and all Filelists and the six main Index Files and the problem persists.

I noticed this problem a few weeks ago but I have not flown a complete mission in quite some time so I really don't know how long it's been there.

A couple of years ago I decided that, if I was going to continue my addiction to CFS2, I had to do as much as possible to improve Frame Rates. So I have spent many, many hours going through the game with a Frame Speed of 35 FPS my main goal. I mothballed airfields and targets that weren't used and changed scenery that slowed things down. The only Player Aircraft in a mission is the actual Player Aircraft. All other aircraft are true AIs that have been tested in bombing or strafing missions. I'm currently going through each mission to insure 35 FPS. I still have a lot to do.

But I don't think that any of my changes have a bearing on this problem but then again I can't fix the problem. The Game is much leaner and meaner already and I haven't noticed anything else wrong.

It's been my experience that, once you find something wrong, you had better fix it because, if you don't, that will lead to the next problem. I sent a PM to Rami about this and he says he's never ran into this problem before. He suggested that I start a thread.

So, if you have any input I would appreciate the help.

Thanks for your help.

Yogi

The problem is the videocart that not read the dx1 compresion texture, I experiment this problem with the onboard video card, but I get a ATI sapphire video card and the problem was solved.

In the past I solved the problem changing the dx1 stock texture for dx3. So try to use the DXTBmp program.

sorry for my bad inglish, I speak spanish.

UncleTgt
March 28th, 2013, 14:30
Yogi,

At first I thought of asking if the "player respawn" box was ticked:blind:, but you mention you've seen this flying missions too.

First thing that springs to mind is the PC operating system & whether User Account Controls are enabled. We know the newer OS don't like programmes messing with files in program folders, & CFS 2 & other old programmes do quite a bit of this. User account controls can lock ou out of making changes to cfg files etc.

So, what Operating System do you have?
Do other users use the same PC? If so, maybe user account control is (now) enabled, stopping you making changes to the game config file that "stick".

- update, I just read Maxstuka's response, looks like he's seen the same problem before - would never have pinned it on a graphics card problem!:isadizzy:
Good catch Max:applause:

Yogi
March 28th, 2013, 14:37
I don't think it is my video card since it has been installed for several years. And I am still using a Dell Computer running XP.

Again, I can't say exactly when the problem began but it has been there for only a few months at most.

Oglivie
March 28th, 2013, 15:30
This CFS2 prob reminds me of that computer programmer toward the end of the movie "Goldeneye"...Exclaiming, "I am invincible" just before he gets frozen by liquid nitrogen.

I wish I could be of some help, but I'm stumped about this one too.

Stay tuned....someone will be around eventually that will be able to
help more than me.

Cheers
:kilroy:

Oglivie
April 12th, 2013, 17:35
Yogi,

Did you find a fix yet? I had some thoughts (all be it a bit late); Try a new CFS2 install? If not rename your current CFS2 folder and install a fresh copy of CFS2 and see if it works okay. If it does then there probably is a file problem in your previous CFS2 install.

Yogi
April 16th, 2013, 13:21
Yes, I've tried a clean copy of the original Pacific CFS2 and it works just fine.

I know there is something wrong with my current installation but I have been unable to pinpoint the exact cause.

First, I still have about a year to go before I have the current installation where I want it to be regarding my 35 FPS goal.

And secondly, if I am in flames and I see the ground coming up on me and then suddenly I am back at altitude...then I know I am on my way to heaven...so I must dead.

In other words, if I never determine the problem and "something worse" never happens with the installation, I can live with that.

It's that "something worse" I am worried about.

Thanks again for your help!

Yogi

The B24 Guy
April 16th, 2013, 16:37
Hi Yogi,

Try replacing your cfs2.icd and ppath.log file with a copy from your good install. If that does not work I would start replacing some of the dll files.

Regards,
B24Guy