PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for fraud protection

OBIO
March 27th, 2013, 10:26
Got a call from my bank card fraud protection center. They caught two attempted transactions on my debit/credit bank card. First was for $1.10 in the Netherlands. It was automatically declined as my card is set up to disallow international transactions. Within seconds, a second attempted transaction for $1.10 was initiated in California. The fraud center blocked it then called me to state that they had locked my card, verified a number of transactions over the last few days, confirmed that I had not initiated any transactions today for any amount...specifically for $1.10. So, now I have to go to my bank and start the process of having a new card issued....which I would rather do than try to fight off a string of bogus charges against my account.

To the unknown folks who caught these fraudulent charges....THANK YOU!

Tim

GypsyBaron
March 27th, 2013, 12:16
I had a situation a few summers ago while traveling in Europe where I noticed a 'small' charge on
one of my credit cards that I had only used once on that trip. The next day a $2000+ charge
appeared . I was able to get hold of my CC company and notify them of the two fraudulent
charges (cost me a lot in cell roaming charges!!) . They immediately canceled that card and
removed the charges from my account.

That initial 'small charge' was a 'test of the waters', and when it wasn't declined immediately the
perps went ahead and made the larger charge. The only place I had used that card was at
a hotel in Zagreb so I know exactly where the fraud originated!

Fortunately that card was not the one I use to get local currency while traveling, otherwise I would
have been faced with a lot of 'extra 3% charges' .

Since I had notified my CC companies that I was traveling the initial charges did not raise a flag.
Moral of that story is heck your statements regularly, particularly when you are traveling! And
keep the numbers of the Fraud Departments close at hand!

Paul

CWOJackson
March 27th, 2013, 12:30
Got a call from my bank card fraud protection center. They caught two attempted transactions on my debit/credit bank card. First was for $1.10 in the Netherlands. It was automatically declined as my card is set up to disallow international transactions. Within seconds, a second attempted transaction for $1.10 was initiated in California. The fraud center blocked it then called me to state that they had locked my card, verified a number of transactions over the last few days, confirmed that I had not initiated any transactions today for any amount...specifically for $1.10. So, now I have to go to my bank and start the process of having a new card issued....which I would rather do than try to fight off a string of bogus charges against my account.

To the unknown folks who caught these fraudulent charges....THANK YOU!

Tim

They try the small charges just to see if the card is active. If it works then they hit the big ticket items.

gaucho_59
March 27th, 2013, 14:58
Your posting came to my focus very deeply....
I have been the victim of ID theft time and time again... unfortunately the perpetrator is a wayward step-son who now is living in Australia and Viet Nam knows our SSNs and thereby the SOB (no offense to my wife...)
out of reach of US authorities... and to top it off... even local thugs have gotten into the act... We charged some 10 buks at a Popeye's one noon here in Bermuda Dunes... and less than 5 hours later,
there was charge from Mario's Italian Restaurant for some 80 bucks... obviously some folk or folks at Popeye's clone the card or take the number and to like Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan Hill... CHARGE!!!
Another time at Appleby's the waitress or whoever charged the next table's bill to our card... My wife watches her balance like a hawk and caught the immediately (no losses)
I tell you... you got to check your card activity daily! And know who is who in your immediate family... [most of this ID thieves are usually relative or so called close friends...]
I got hit hard a few times... up to 60,000 bucks... fortunately I recovered the money... but the hassles to go through are enough to kill you... If we didn't travel like we do... I would burn all my credit cards and pay cash...
I paid my house cash in Palm Desert... my 2011 is paid for too... cash on the barrelhead... THE ONLY WAY TO GO...

The problem is that everyone deals with money electronically and the system is full of holes... and the banks, credit card companies, etc. just care on keepin purchase volumes up and
just don't bother to follow through... insurance pays... money is restituted and the frigging criminal continues on his or her merry way....

Obio, consider yourself lucky you got hit so light!

strikehawk
March 27th, 2013, 16:26
I have been the victim of ID theft time and time again... unfortunately the perpetrator is a wayward step-son who now is living in Australia and Viet Nam knows our SSNs and thereby the SOB (no offense to my wife...)
out of reach of US authorities... and to top it off... even local thugs have gotten into the act... We charged some 10 buks at a Popeye's one noon here in Bermuda Dunes... and less than 5 hours later,
there was charge from Mario's Italian Restaurant for some 80 bucks... obviously some folk or folks at Popeye's clone the card or take the number and to like Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan Hill... CHARGE!!!
Another time at Appleby's the waitress or whoever charged the next table's bill to our card... My wife watches her balance like a hawk and caught the immediately (no losses)
I tell you... you got to check your card activity daily! And know who is who in your immediate family... [most of this ID thieves are usually relative or so called close friends...]
I got hit hard a few times... up to 60,000 bucks... fortunately I recovered the money... but the hassles to go through are enough to kill you... If we didn't travel like we do... I would burn all my credit cards and pay cash...
I paid my house cash in Palm Desert... my 2011 is paid for too... cash on the barrelhead... THE ONLY WAY TO GO...

The problem is that everyone deals with money electronically and the system is full of holes... and the banks, credit card companies, etc. just care on keepin purchase volumes up and
just don't bother to follow through... insurance pays... money is restituted and the frigging criminal continues on his or her merry way....

Obio, consider yourself lucky you got hit so light!

I can relate to the thieves usually being family of friends of the family. About 4 years ago my stepdaughter and her friends ripped off a digital camera that still had our Xmas pics ( had not had a chance to transfer them to the PC), my debit card, $70 from my wife and a new bottle of Vicodone. As soon as I discovered the theft we reported it to my credit union and the sheriff. The cash, drugs and camera were history, but I managed to stop and cancel every CC transaction that occurred past 1530 hrs local. I was lucky as my credit union had me a new card and account by noon the next day. As for the kids friend that I more than know did the theft with her help, let's say I ran with an unsavory crowd before I joined the Navy, a crowd that still knows me from the old days. That boy's life was very terrifying and eventful for a few months other than to say he more than learned his lesson I'll leave it a that.

stansdds
March 28th, 2013, 02:09
I've had two credit card numbers stolen in the past 16 years. The first time it happened it was the retailer that contacted me. They thought it was odd that someone in Virginia would order several hundred dollars worth of console games and cartridges and have them shipped to another state. I called the credit card company, they halted the transaction and cancelled my account and would not issue a new card. Things change with time, the second time it happened was just a couple of years ago. The credit card company locked my account until I contacted them. After confirming that I did not authorize out of state charges, they closed that account and sent me a new card. Identity theft and credit/debit card theft are common occurrences these days. Sometimes I think conducting transactions in cash is safer.

Great Ozzie
March 28th, 2013, 04:31
out of reach of US authorities...

gaucho you really ought to put in a request for a different social security number.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/79/related/1

-Rob O.