PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild 24R Work in Progress

Lionheart
March 26th, 2013, 23:55
Hey all,

Some screenshots of the girl on production line. Still alot of work left to go.

Firekitten
March 27th, 2013, 01:07
God I want one... Great work Bill :) Really coming along. Loving the vintage luggage! :D

expat
March 27th, 2013, 01:34
Very classy Bill!

greybeardgil
March 27th, 2013, 05:31
Beauty Bill!

huub vink
March 27th, 2013, 05:37
Nice model Bill, although I prefer aircraft in camouflage colours.......

The F-24R9 from the Early Birds foundation with a 165hp Ranger engine. The aircraft was built in 1939 and can still be seen flying here in the Netherlands today.

Cheers,
Huub

Lionheart
March 27th, 2013, 08:23
Thanks gang.

:icon29:

huub vink
Nice model Bill, although I prefer aircraft in camouflage colours.......

Almost looks like a Lysander with Camo. Great ole planes. Your version in the photo has the early, shorter cowling with the cool, sylistic curve on the back vertical line of the cowling. I think I found there are at least 3 different cowlings; this, the one on mine, and another for a large spinner that had a large opening at the prop area.

I believe the official version name of the military variant is Argos.

Bill

FentiFlier1
March 27th, 2013, 08:35
I read up on this aircraft and found it was used by the US.Coast Guard as the Fairchild J2K

Looks great like this:

Ferry_vO
March 27th, 2013, 08:38
The US Airforce had the C-61 and UC-61, named the 'Forwarder', the navy called it the JK-1 and GK-1, while the coast guard named it the J2K. The RAF called it the 'Argus'. ;)

Bomber_12th
March 27th, 2013, 08:46
Absolutely beautiful, Bill! The Fairchild 24 has been a favorite of mine since building a balsa wood kit of one with my dad when I was little, and you've really captured it superbly! The unique windscreen and wing design has always been a calling-point (a similar case to the Stinson Reliant). For as elegant as the aircraft can look, it can also look quite stout and sturdy.

I have the blueprints for the military versions, the Argos, if you'd be interested, though they aren't great.

For anyone like me with a big interest in this aircraft, these are "must sees":

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24344 (this thread has been going since 2008, following the life of C-FEKC since the time Dave Hadfield purchased it (amongst other things, he is one of the VWOC warbird pilots, and typically flies their P-40)

http://fairchild24.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=38

These photos were taken from the Fairchild 24 blog above. It's fascinating to see the progression of the airframe from its basic form up to the completed aircraft (it still looks like a piece of artwork, each step of the way).

Lionheart
March 28th, 2013, 14:56
Hey John,

They did an excellent rebuild on that one. The interior is amazing.

From all my information gathering on this project, I was surprised to find how much area had wood panelling, like the base of the rudder, the elevators and H-Stabilizers, parts of the interior cieling (the curved back area), etc. We had one when I was very young and just didnt know about this stuff. Hard to remember things from so long ago.

What a wild instrument panel. Two tablets, then the odd area at the top center. I have seen so many versions of panels that have glove boxes at the top, then at the top/right, then lower right, then no glove boxes, then no top hump. I have seen them all I think. One thing I found out though that made things easier is that the cowling lines are the same for the top of the regular area of the panel (hump not included), so that was a relief.

Just trying to get up the courage to start the Radial model variant. :S Have to start cutting and shaping on the 24R fuse...

wombat666
March 28th, 2013, 22:23
A true Art Deco aeroplane Bill and one I look forward to.
FTR, I fly your original on a regular basis in GW3.
:applause:

modelr
March 29th, 2013, 06:41
Fantastic Bill! I still pull your original Fairchild 24 series from FS2002/2004 out of the hanger on occasion. They still do well. Updates of any of your early work will be greatly appreciated. :applause: