PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft WinTrust Policy??

WarHorse47
March 25th, 2013, 19:45
Okay, this is a good questions for the techies in the group.

I'm running FSX in Windows 8, and have been installing a lot of addon FSX aircraft I've been saving on CD's from my purchases over the years.

Some of the older packages, like the Aerosoft Beaver X, generate FSX Security messages on various gauges when loading the aircraft for the first time. Consequently, the [trusted] section in my FSX.cfg is getting quite large.

From what I've read in other forums, this is quite normal. Is there any way to turn those messages off, and accept any gauges or dlls without having to go through the dialogue boxes or fill up the FSX.cfg?

The interesting thing I've noticed is that I have no issue with the FS 2004 install on my Windows 8 machine. Apparently, this is something only with FSX??

Thanks in advance.

ncooper
March 25th, 2013, 23:17
Okay, this is a good questions for the techies in the group.

I'm running FSX in Windows 8, and have been installing a lot of addon FSX aircraft I've been saving on CD's from my purchases over the years.

Some of the older packages, like the Aerosoft Beaver X, generate FSX Security messages on various gauges when loading the aircraft for the first time. Consequently, the [trusted] section in my FSX.cfg is getting quite large.
From what I've read in other forums, this is quite normal. Is there any way to turn those messages off, and accept any gauges or dlls without having to go through the dialogue boxes or fill up the FSX.cfg?

No.

The interesting thing I've noticed is that I have no issue with the FS 2004 install on my Windows 8 machine. Apparently, this is something only with FSX??

The message is headed Microsoft Flight Simulator-Security Warning, ie to do with FSX, not Windows.
At the bottom, it reads "This file soes not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher."
If you check the properties of .dll and .gau files which generate these messages you will see that there is indeed no Digital Signatures tab.
These messages have nothing to do with the age of the addon software and everything to do with the fact that they are not digitally signed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nick

WarHorse47
March 26th, 2013, 05:05
Thanks for the explanation, Nick.

So, there is no way to avoid this? There's no fsx.cfg setting or flag that hides these messages or turns off the FSX Security Warning?

lemonadedrinker
March 26th, 2013, 05:27
Hi,

I posted about trying to find the FS9.cfg in Windows 8, and I wondered if FSX has the same sort of file system, and from that, where does Windows 8 hide the .cfg ?
Thanks for any assistance.

Andy.

WarHorse47
March 26th, 2013, 06:27
Hi Andy.

Look in your root directory on the C:\ drive for a folder named 'Users'. Look for the directory under the following path:

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

lemonadedrinker
March 26th, 2013, 07:36
Hi,
Crossing each other's paths at high speed:running::isadizzy: but, even though Ive found the FS9 cfg, there doesn't seem to be an AppData folder with Windows 8. As I found it just goes Program data (hidden) etc!

Andy.

ncooper
March 26th, 2013, 07:52
Open File Explorer\View\Options\Change folder and search options\View,
then select Show hidden files folders and drives.
Click on apply, then OK.

Restart File Explorer and look in

Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9
or
Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Once you have located the desired .cfg file, it may be useful to create a shortcut to it
on your desktop, to avoid the long path to its location.

hairyspin
March 26th, 2013, 13:56
:kilroy: Typing %appdata%\microsoft in an address bar will take you directly to the folder containing your FSX appdata folder. This works in all recent Windows versions whether you've enabled hidden files and folder viewing or not.