PDA

View Full Version : Tower closures

johannesl
March 24th, 2013, 17:29
Anybody working on, or know of a way to, turn all of the towered airports in FSX that will be closed into non-towered ones after April 7th? It's going to be a mess with FS. I suppose we can hope they come to there senses and refund at least some of them, but I think we all know there isn't much sanity on Capital Hill these days.

falcon409
March 24th, 2013, 17:45
Other than modifying each and every AFCAD for each of the affected airports. . .no. I know everyone has a different level of realism within which they go about flying the virtual skies, but for me personally, this won't cause me any lack of sleep. Unlike Europe where it seems that even the smallest airports are controlled, here in the states, unless you fly Commercial flights on a regular basis, it's sometimes difficult to find an airport that "is" controlled.

jojohnson9
March 25th, 2013, 07:14
Many of these towers were built after FSX came out, so maybe not as big a thing as may seem to simulating flight.

av8erjm
March 25th, 2013, 07:49
As long as Galloping Joe stays in 500K a night hotels in London, and the royal family continues to jet-set around don't look fwd to things getting any better here at home. I heard over the weekend, in the planning is a 2 month stay in HI this summer at the tax payers expense. Make me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing someone is living large

mal998
March 25th, 2013, 07:56
I don't know exactly who you're referring to, but it sounds kinda like a political statement to me. How 'bout we agree to keep our politics to ourselves.

stansdds
March 25th, 2013, 08:17
Yeah, let's not let politics turn this into another locked thread, please.

As for tower closures in FSX, you would have to modify each airport and that's probably a lot more trouble than it's worth. Besides, FSX doesn't really model accurate ATC.

airattackimages
March 25th, 2013, 08:34
Luckily the nanny state, welfare funding and defense cuts don't affect my copy of FSX.

trowelmaster
March 25th, 2013, 09:46
I don't know exactly who you're referring to, but it sounds kinda like a political statement to me. How 'bout we agree to keep our politics to ourselves.
​I agree to disagree,this is a forum with special interest,everyone should have a right to express themselves based on ones opinion to do otherwise is contradictory!

Roger
March 25th, 2013, 09:56
​I agree to disagree,this is a forum with special interest,everyone should have a right to express themselves based on ones opinion to do otherwise is contradictory!

Mal is quite correct! It is the case that we do not allow politics in our forums as they are usually devisive and have nothing to do with simming.

Roger.

trowelmaster
March 25th, 2013, 10:59
Mal is quite correct! It is the case that we do not allow politics in our forums as they are usually devisive and have nothing to do with simming.

Roger.
Well,his opinion did'nt bother me one way or the other.Water off a ducks back!

Roger
March 25th, 2013, 11:38
Okay, in that case maybe you need to ask yourself if the SOH is the right forum for you?

johannesl
March 25th, 2013, 14:35
As the person who started this thread I was just trying to get a general feel on how this might affect the FS community with a broad comment on the general state of affairs in DC. (something I think we can all agree on). It was never my intension to turn this into a left/right, he said/she said commentary. So with that said please go ahead and lock this thread you will not hurt my feelings, and if you feel that strongly about your political position, whatever that may be, there are plenty of other sites to express them on besides this one.

Roger
March 25th, 2013, 15:45
Johannes, I'd like to think that we can leave this thread open for now.

falcon409
March 25th, 2013, 15:56
As the person who started this thread I was just trying to get a general feel on how this might affect the FS community with a broad comment on the general state of affairs in DC. (something I think we can all agree on). It was never my intension to turn this into a left/right, he said/she said commentary. So with that said please go ahead and lock this thread you will not hurt my feelings, and if you feel that strongly about your political position, whatever that may be, there are plenty of other sites to express them on besides this one.
Yea, kinda took a wrong turn there pretty quick. . .however. . .as both stansdds and myself have already noted, the only way to do what you're asking would be to take each airport individually and using your AFCAD program of choice (there are several), modify the tower info to change it to an uncontrolled airport. Stan made a correct observation about the ATC in general, it is far from perfect and bears little resemblance to real-time Air Traffic Control so considering the number of airports that might be affected, not sure it's worth messing with really.

strikehawk
March 25th, 2013, 17:05
As for tower closures in FSX, you would have to modify each airport and that's probably a lot more trouble than it's worth. Besides, FSX doesn't really model accurate ATC.

Well since I really don't fly offline and when I do I learned to ignore the tower after they vectored me into a mountain, at night, in cloud, if the sim closes the towers no biggie. If all it takes is to edit an AFCAD then I'd just edit the places that I frequently fly in and out of. It's as falcon and stansdds pointed out life's to short to edit all those AFCAD files.

griphos
March 25th, 2013, 18:08
Most of the airports losing towers are contract airports, and some may not even have had towers when the FSX database was built, and so may be back to correct now. :-)

p14u2nv
March 25th, 2013, 21:03
Well we can remove Francis S. Grabeski Airport here in NY from the tower closures hit list. It seems the FAA had a change of heart!

:USA-flag:

johannesl
March 26th, 2013, 09:32
Within a 15 mile radius of my "home" airport KSEE are 2 of the closed towers (both of which are in FSX). I tested changing one of these by using ADE and deleting the tower, ground frequencies (I suppose I could have deleted the ATIS too, but not ASOS or AWOS as I suspect they will still be active) and it did work. Don't forget that this will not only change what happens on the ground, but also the airspace around these airports as well. Class "D" will become Class "E" or "G" so the rules change too. I admit that a lot of us probably just fly through these areas anyhow, but if your using it to practice a little or this is you "home" airport this could be an issue. If your in Connecticut your going to go from 7 towered airports to 1.