PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft engines turned off now at start-up!

vmx12
March 23rd, 2013, 09:41
Help please! :icon_eek:

My son was playing FSX earlier today and must have hit a button or otherwise saved something incorrectly, because now when I start-up FSX and go to a jet or other aircraft in free flight, it starts with the engines off.

I did go to the default Cessna 172 and save this flight with the engines running, but this does not automatically transfer to other aircraft when I start them up in free flight. I can't imagine I have to save 40 or so different flights to get the engines on at start-up for each aircraft, since this just started happening today.

Prior to today, I would simply fire up FSX, select ANY aircraft - add-on or default - and the aircraft would start in free flight with the engines running.

And here's the rub...some aircraft are so high-end and realistic (VRS Superbug) that the CTRL-E option does not fire up the aircraft correctly and I have not yet mastered it manual start-up procedure, so I can't simply go through the start-up and save an aircraft like the Superbug as a default flight.

It seems there's a simple button or settings feature I need to tweak to undo what my son may have done.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

VMX12

Bobr2
March 23rd, 2013, 10:15
Help please! :icon_eek:

My son was playing FSX earlier today and must have hit a button or otherwise saved something incorrectly, because now when I start-up FSX and go to a jet or other aircraft in free flight, it starts with the engines off.

I did go to the default Cessna 172 and save this flight with the engines running, but this does not automatically transfer to other aircraft when I start them up in free flight. I can't imagine I have to save 40 or so different flights to get the engines on at start-up for each aircraft, since this just started happening today.

Prior to today, I would simply fire up FSX, select ANY aircraft - add-on or default - and the aircraft would start in free flight with the engines running.

And here's the rub...some aircraft are so high-end and realistic (VRS Superbug) that the CTRL-E option does not fire up the aircraft correctly and I have not yet mastered it manual start-up procedure, so I can't simply go through the start-up and save an aircraft like the Superbug as a default flight.

It seems there's a simple button or settings feature I need to tweak to undo what my son may have done.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

VMX12

Try going back to the original AC that Microsoft used, the trike and save that with the engines running and see if that will work. I have had the same problem. Also see if he turned the fuel off. It needs to be left on if you want to change plains with the engines running. Several times I had to do a repair on flighsim to make it work again. Try installing SP1 first though and SP2 or Accleration again before the Flightsim repair. Nothing will change on the repair of Flightsim. Have had to do it several times.

Bobr2:isadizzy:

airattackimages
March 23rd, 2013, 10:22
Heres a crazy idea... What about going back into options and clicking the box for start flight with engines running?

;)

robert41
March 23rd, 2013, 11:54
Sounds like the FSX start up issue.
Changing the default starting flight can cause problems when starting with another aircraft.
If you delete all your saved flights, FSX "should" reset the default starting flight with the Trike.

ncooper
March 23rd, 2013, 12:12
Heres a crazy idea... What about going back into options and clicking the box for start flight with engines running?

;)

This would be in your unique copy of FSX?

PutPut
March 23rd, 2013, 12:14

;)

Your copy of FSX must be on "roids"!!

Paul

airattackimages
March 23rd, 2013, 12:35
Yep :cool:

warchild
March 23rd, 2013, 12:42
heres an easier solution than deleting everything.. go into your fsx.cfg file. and search for situation. You should find

[USERINTERFACE]
PageID=1
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
SITUATION=C:\Users\Warchild\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\default

Delete everything on the line after Situation=. that will reset the default loadup for FSX ( you'll start with the trike again ) and should make it possible for you to have running engines..

robert41
March 23rd, 2013, 13:54
heres an easier solution than deleting everything.. go into your fsx.cfg file. and search for situation. You should find

[USERINTERFACE]
PageID=1
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
SITUATION=C:\Users\Warchild\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\default

Delete everything on the line after Situation=. that will reset the default loadup for FSX ( you'll start with the trike again ) and should make it possible for you to have running engines..

Even better. Thanks.

Mach3DS
March 23rd, 2013, 14:46
All you need to do is delete your "Default" Flight from it's location on your hard drive. Then start FSX back up. It will recreate it automatically. This solves the "engines not starting" issue, and most other "issues" with regards to aircraft systems suddenly and inexplicably not working. :)

bazzar
March 23rd, 2013, 18:26
Don't want to do any of the above?

Cntrl/Shift/F4.

Clears the FSX auto mixture cut.:engel016:

vmx12
March 23rd, 2013, 20:31
All you need to do is delete your "Default" Flight from it's location on your hard drive. Then start FSX back up. It will recreate it automatically. This solves the "engines not starting" issue, and most other "issues" with regards to aircraft systems suddenly and inexplicably not working. :)

Thanks, Rick! It worked! It took me back to the default hang-glider aircraft and then I saved another aircraft and location in its spot. It seemed to work fine, but then it started again with the non-runnig engines at start-up. I will tweak some more.

vmx12
March 23rd, 2013, 20:32
Even better. Thanks.

Warchild, I tried this but it didn't effect any changes to the non-running engines part. Thanks, Mate.

vmx12
March 23rd, 2013, 20:33
Sounds like the FSX start up issue.
Changing the default starting flight can cause problems when starting with another aircraft.
If you delete all your saved flights, FSX "should" reset the default starting flight with the Trike.

Yes, this advice did work! But then when I went to save a different aircraft as default, it started again. Perhaps I should just leave the Trike as default then?

vmx12
March 23rd, 2013, 20:34
Try going back to the original AC that Microsoft used, the trike and save that with the engines running and see if that will work. I have had the same problem. Also see if he turned the fuel off. It needs to be left on if you want to change plains with the engines running. Several times I had to do a repair on flighsim to make it work again. Try installing SP1 first though and SP2 or Accleration again before the Flightsim repair. Nothing will change on the repair of Flightsim. Have had to do it several times.

Bobr2:isadizzy:

Where would I check to see if he turned off fuel? Would this be in the aircraft itself or some setting in FSX?

vmx12
March 23rd, 2013, 21:00
Okay, Gentlemen! Thank you All for your replies. I deleted the default flight and now it's back to the default Glider. I went ahead and saved this as the default flight. So now when I start-up, the glider is on the splash screen again, just like when I first flew the sim. I can now choose any aircraft - default or add-on - and it will put me in the same "flight" as the glider is in, where I'm soaring over the trees of "Harbour."

Now, like before, I'd like to create a new default flight, where I can begin the flight (in whatever aircraft I choose) on the runaway at some airport, for instance, with the engines running. I did select my P-51, for example, and put in on the active runway at some airport and saved it as default, and by Golly, my default flight is now the P-51, siting on the runway with its engines running.

But then, I went to one of my other aircraft (an add-on jet), and it started up on the same runway (all is good so far) and I shutdown the engines. I did manage to get them started again and flew a little but then ended the flight and chose another aircraft, which was also set on the same runway - but the dreaded engines were off. Ugh!

It's here that I'm doing something wrong, I think. :icon_eek:

robert41
March 23rd, 2013, 22:13
Yes, this advice did work! But then when I went to save a different aircraft as default, it started again. Perhaps I should just leave the Trike as default then?

Yes, if you want to start a flight with the aircraft ready to go. But of course you can start at any airport, any time/date, and weather setting. Once loaded, then just switch to an aircraft that you want to fly.

Some like a cold and dark start. Shut down the engine, fuel, batt, radio, lights, ect. Save this as default and starting a flight the aircraft will be cold and dark.

dandog
March 24th, 2013, 15:57
The problem I have had is that different airplanes have different levels of complexity. A simply GA flyer, when you shut it down,only deals with the ignition switch. More complex aircraft separate switches for master power switch, sub-battery switch, magneto(s), fuel pumps, and on and on. It's been more than once I have shut down a complex aircraft, only to not be able to start a simple one later. You have to figure out which complex aircraft you shut down, reload it, start it, and then reload the simple aircraft. It drives me nuts. But it could be worse!