PDA

View Full Version : Southern Alaska Released

sidler
March 23rd, 2013, 06:00
http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2386

HighGround22
March 23rd, 2013, 06:31
Hot diggety ding-dong damn! Downloading my (Senior Discount) copy now. Thanks for the HU.

Kiwikat
March 23rd, 2013, 07:53
Does someone know if there is a kml/kmz file for google earth that shows the coverage of this area? They usually post those on their forum but I couldn't find one.

Sundog
March 23rd, 2013, 08:05
Does someone know if there is a kml/kmz file for google earth that shows the coverage of this area? They usually post those on their forum but I couldn't find one.

Not a KMZ, but a jpg;

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=13469

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2013, 08:07

http://fullterrain.com/kmz/FTX%20SAK%20Coverage%20and%20Features%20Map.kmz

olderndirt
March 23rd, 2013, 08:09
Does someone know if there is a kml/kmz file for google earth that shows the coverage of this area? They usually post those on their forum but I couldn't find one.Go to FullTerrain.com. Top left - more info. New page - top right of screenshot collection.

Kiwikat
March 23rd, 2013, 08:09
Hmm so it kind of requires Tongass Fjords then to complete the whole Pacific coast? Maybe I'll just wait for ORBX Global...

Thanks for posting that pic. :ernae:

EDIT: Thanks for the proper links guys. Kind of surprised they didn't have it in their announcement on their forum.

CG_1976
March 23rd, 2013, 08:55
I'm in as it includes some of Yukon including CYXY.

Roger
March 23rd, 2013, 10:07
Went to their website to get some more info and cannot access it.

vora
March 23rd, 2013, 10:11
Hmm so it kind of requires Tongass Fjords then to complete the whole Pacific coast? Maybe I'll just wait for ORBX Global...

OrbX Global is only replacement textures, nothing else.
Tongass Fjord X is made by the very same guy who made the other OrbX regions (in NA, AU and NZ at least): Holger Sandman. Don't get confused because Tongass has a different distributor, FSAddon. It is of the same quality as the other OrbX regions by Holger and it seamlessly connects to them. OrbX actually did not include them because it was already done by their very own region guru. So if you want to fly from Ketchikan to Juneau or from Portland to Anchorage without ever leaving "Holgerland" you will definitely need to have Tongass Fjord X by FSAddon.

Roger
March 23rd, 2013, 10:43
Went to their website to get some more info and cannot access it.

Website back up!

DaveKDEN
March 23rd, 2013, 10:46
Screenshots anyone?

stiz
March 23rd, 2013, 11:04
fair few screenies on the FTX page, kinda slopy not haveing on the flightsimstore page though!!

http://fullterrain.com/product_nasak.html

i also hope the UK team take a look at the area covered vs cost and copy it...

DaveKDEN
March 23rd, 2013, 11:10
fair few screenies on the FTX page, kinda slopy not haveing on the flightsimstore page though!!

http://fullterrain.com/product_nasak.html

i also hope the UK team take a look at the area covered vs cost and copy it...

Thanks!

TeaSea
March 23rd, 2013, 14:14
Hmmmm......

Wales or Alaska? :kilroy:

Probably going with Alaska since it plugs into the other paks.

PRB
March 23rd, 2013, 14:16
Ok, what the hell? I just bought this, downloaded and installed. There was some message about if I had any other FTX packages installed that I had to set the "FTX Control" application to "Default", and in that app it says that all "All Orbx FTX Features are disabled". And sure enough, all my PNW scenery is gone? So, if I install two ORBX products, I have to disable them? That's not good. I want my money back

griphos
March 23rd, 2013, 14:24
You need to read a little more carefully. It said that FTX Central set the region to default at the end of the install, and you can set it to whatever region you wish. Set it back to NA, and you'll have PNW and SAK, and whatever other NA region or airports you've installed.

PRB
March 23rd, 2013, 14:32
Yeah, I figured that out. The readme does say that you should set it to "default" before installing a new package. I didn't know there was any such thing as "FTX Central" before installing this one, but the installer took care of that for me as well, setting it to default, as you mentioned. I put it back to "North America" and all is right again. Smart folks, those guys at ORBX, even taking into account possible dunces like me!

Kiwikat
March 23rd, 2013, 15:07
OrbX Global is only replacement textures, nothing else.

That isn't really true. John has explained in detail what the plan is for Orbx Global. If you spend the extra bit to get updates and such, other features will be included.

I have addon landclass and vector scenery (UTX) for almost every place I fly, so until Orbx Global offers landclass and vector scenery, I'll be covered. Of course that won't give me the finer details of the Orbx regions, but it'll be more than 3/4 of the way there IMHO. You won't be able to beat the price/sq mi. of the global pack.

I don't think I'll be buying any more regions unless they are for the lower 48 states. Can't wait for global!

dvj
March 23rd, 2013, 15:31
Oh well, another $40 bucks on software. Why not? Mostly mountains and shrubs too.

hae5904
March 23rd, 2013, 15:55
None the less, finally Glacier Bay area (and more) in FSX :jump:

Cheers,
Hank

olderndirt
March 23rd, 2013, 17:38
Having flown in the Anchorage MatSu valley area for thirty some years, I must say that this scenery is simply 'deja-vu all over again' for me. Wonderful job and the 20% discount doesn't hurt either.

dvj
March 23rd, 2013, 21:10
Ouch! 20% discount? Anyway, purchased because I have Tongass and Pacific Fords.

Reddog
March 24th, 2013, 08:07
Is anyone having trouble with the runway disappearing at PAJN and at Stika being underwater at the dock. After reading the PDF file I disabled all of UTalaska and any other Mesh I had installed but still the problem.

olderndirt
March 24th, 2013, 08:14
Is anyone having trouble with the runway disappearing at PAJN and at Stika being underwater at the dock. After reading the PDF file I disabled all of UTalaska and any other Mesh I had installed but still the problem.Over on the Orbx forum, Holger has a lengthy commentry about this and what's the fix - worth a read. I retained my FSG mesh and FTX SAK seems to override it with no problem.

heywooood
March 26th, 2013, 14:10
hmmm...I like Alaska but I am really hoping they will start south soon - I am looking forward to central and southern California....

rayhere48
March 26th, 2013, 21:07
How do you find out about the senior discount? I looked all over and could not find any info.

Timbohobo
March 26th, 2013, 21:21
How do you find out about the senior discount? I looked all over and could not find any info.

Hi Ray, you'll find that info here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/54483-senior-discounts-a-joint-orbxfss-initiative/

Cheers
Tim

dvj
March 29th, 2013, 12:26
I must say that ORBX did an amazing job on the glaciers. Far exceeded my expectations this scenery did.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4991/glaciersf.jpg

mfitch
March 31st, 2013, 21:29
I must say that ORBX did an amazing job on the glaciers. Far exceeded my expectations this scenery did.

They did special graphics for some of them. I stumbled on this looking through the scenery directories. I look forward to finding these.

This weekend I had time to check out some of this scenery. Flying from Palmer out the Glen Highway looked nice and then I stumbled on a little town done up in detail. With all the lakes frozen by the scenery I could land the C182 from Carenado on the lake behind this.

Today I flew from Valdez around to Cordova. While part of the trip was in IMC, I did see lots of detail around Valdez including the port (oil). Cordova had buildings and even limited PeopleFlow.

Anchorage had surprises too. They did the main buildings downtown (Conoco Phillips, Hilton, Cook, PAC, and others). These were nice touches which I did not expect. The interaction with Aerosoft's PANC seems fine (only tested in winter).

This is a great addition. I suppose I should try a sequence of flights from Anchorage down to Portland to enjoy all the nice sceneries.