PDA

View Full Version : Spaceflight V2.0 released ...

rcbarend
March 17th, 2013, 14:30
Hi,

I have just uploaded V2.0 of the package to the SOH library, section "FSX Other", as file rcbsa-20.zip.

For users of V1.0 or V2.0-Beta: see sections "Installation Requirements" and "Installation" in the README.

This is a complete overhaul, with full support for moving AI spacestations.
Please start with the included README if you want to know what this is all about ..:)

Cheers,

Rob Barendregt

PS: Please use this thread for questions, comment, etc ...

Roger
March 17th, 2013, 15:35
Thanks very much for this Rob:applause:

DaveWG
March 18th, 2013, 00:18
Thanks Rob, I'll try it out this evening. :jump:

rcbarend
March 19th, 2013, 08:41
oops ... I should have known better then to make a last-minute change :blind:

Found a small bug myself, if you accellerate off a runway in space: the moment you set FlapsUp, the target speed is set to 60 Knots, even when Throttle is Idle. So the aircraft starts to move forward.

I will upload an update soon.
Remedy for now: do not set FlapsUp untill you are ready to accellerate.
To taxi on a (moving) space deck, use FlapsDown mode and control speed/heading with stick/rudder; which is better anyway.

Rob

rcbarend
March 21st, 2013, 07:39
In my quest to get "space" as filled and versitile as possible :) :

I've also tested the Spaceflight gauges with FS-Recorder (freeware by Matthias Neusinger).
By itself, this works OK.
That is:
You can record your aircraft flight in space, and save the recording. Then start a new flight, and play back the recorded flight "as AI".
You can do this multiple times, thus creating your own (pre-recorded) Multiplayer.
The good news is that, in the Navigator you can track all recorded aircraft at long range, so there's no distance limitation between your aircraft and previously recorded aircraft in space.

The bad news is, that FS-Recorder doesn't record any AI generated by AI-Carriers; meaning that if you have spacetraffic (carriers, or whatever) generated by the AI-Carriers program, they won't be recorded by FS-Recorder.
I'll explain why.

AI-Carriers as it is now, is only able to generate AI known as "Category=Boat".
If you change the Category to "Airplane" in the sim.cfg file, AICarriers gives an error and won't spawn that Formation.

On the other hand, FS-Recorder (even if you enable the recording-option "Record AI" ) only records objects with tag "Category=Airplane".
Meaning that it doesn't record the AI you generated with the AICarriers program.

I will try to contact Matthias Neusinger and Lamont Clark, to see if there is a way to lift this restriction.
Because both FS-Recorder and AI-Carriers are great addon's, that would enable a perfect way to "fill space".
I'm just not sure if these guys are still active in FS design, and/or willing to change this......

Regards, Rob

rcbarend
March 21st, 2013, 08:14
PS:
I know quite some people are reading this thread, and have downloaded the V2.0 package.
However, there's almost zero feedback.

I would like to know what, if any, the interrest and experiances on this "spaceflight" addon actually is.
I'm the first to admit that this is a real niche in how to use FSX for spaceflight; this "virus" has caught me (as a developper).

Lack of reactions can mean a few things:

1. You're not interrested as a user of FSX.
I have no problem with that whatsoever ....:)

2. It's too complex.
Sorry, this stuff IS complex, and I have no way of making it easier other then spending a lot of time in how to download/install and use this stuff.
And I'm well aware this requires a learning curve to even start using it.

3. I'm not giving you enough time to digest all this stuff ...
Sorry, I'll pipe down ...:)

4. ???

Whatever way, any feedback is appreciated.
Because with this development I'm maneuvering between "what's possible with FSX" and "what's realistic".

Rob

CP1207
March 21st, 2013, 09:03
Okay- response.
Highly looking forward to this release.:mixedsmi::wiggle::wavey::guinness:
Have been following the thread all along.
Just do not have the time to test right now or recently.
Love the Babylon 5 stuff.
One of the things that keeps me going after working another day at a place I'm not so happy with is logging in here and seeing the marvels that are being created.
You do wonderful things that are highly appreciated. Pushing the envelope in FSX gives some of us that grew up with the promise of being able to live on the Moon or Mars a chance to virtually live the future that is never to be for us.

DaveWG
March 21st, 2013, 10:32
Hi Rob,

I've downloaded the package, but apart from an initial look, haven't had chance to play with it properly yet.
Rest assured your work is appreciated and I will be devoting some serious time to it :salute:

kilo delta
March 21st, 2013, 11:28
I've not hada chance to install this yet,Rob, but rest assured your hard work in creating this addon is much appreciated.:applause:

lazarus
March 21st, 2013, 15:03
Hey Rob. I'll try the new one out when I get home- did not catch those bugs-sorry! Feedback- the initial uploads of space stuff by Bruce and m'self seem to be doing brisk trade, though I expect that most downloaders have no idea what to expect or what it is about- the first hatemail should be coming in any day now!:icon_lol: I'll be publishing a few mods for some of the 'professional' spaceplanes from Piglet and Bruce-not the @%#$& I turn out! - set up for the gauge set but requiring the gauge DL from here. It'll be gaining momentum, just watch.
Re: Tintins atomic rocket- I forgot who asked-I'm still grapling with tail sitting contact points. I can fly down and transition just fine, and hover down on just thrust- but the contact points are killing me.

fleurdelys
March 21st, 2013, 19:09
Re: Tintins atomic rocket- I forgot who asked-I'm still grapling with tail sitting contact points. I can fly down and transition just fine, and hover down on just thrust- but the contact points are killing me.

"The oxen is slow but the earth is patient"... :kilroy:

I can wait ! ... :icon29:

Fleurdelys

CrisGer
March 22nd, 2013, 11:06
I am very interested and supportive, however other work has me snowed under. I have hoped to see FSX get into space for a long time and have longed for even a reasonably easy ISS to visit with a Shuttle Launch now that the real ones are taking a long nap. I grew up watching the Appllo and Gemini flights take off, have met John Glen and some of the others, and love the Space theme ..we have no real visually good space simulations who there is Orbiter but it is way behind FSX in terms of visuals. I hope somday we can visit other planets in FSX and why now if we can somehow stretch the envelope?

this is good work and i promise to study it soon.