PDA

View Full Version : So, what is it with props in FSX (A)??

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2013, 13:48
I just spent the good part of my day installing my purchased copy of WoP WWII Solo Spitfire, making thumbnails and migrating my FS9 repaints into FSX.

While checking to make sure all is as expected, I noticed that the prop looks like crap. My best description of what I see is that when in external or spot view and looking through a turning prop, the scenery detail disappears. All is fine through the VC, but externally it is just plain weird.

The install is meant for FSX, but I suspect that it is a port-over from FS9 - and possibly not meant for FSX Acceleration. I tried modifying and replacing the prop texture, but was not successful. I'm reluctant now to install any other prop aircraft unless its specifically developed for the sim.

So, what's going on here. I assume it has something to do with the model rather than the texture. Can someone give an explanation?

School is in session.

Thanks again.

Daube
March 17th, 2013, 13:57
First of all, if it's an A2A plane, check out their website or forum to ensure there isn't any patches over there.
A lot of A2A planes that were initially for FS9 have been "upgraded" to native FSX model if I'm not mistaken.

But honnestly, this would be a total waste of time.
If you like the Spitfire, you should really go for the WoP3 Sptifire with its Accusim extension. And then, your Spitfire will actually work like a Spitfire ;)

EDIT: I have checked A2A forums.
There is a section dedicated to the WoP2 Spitfire. Is it that one that you have ?
Here is the link to the topic containing the explanations and the patches: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10680

falcon409
March 17th, 2013, 14:28
Others will continue to answer I'm sure and the bottom line is that if it's an FS9 aircraft you run the risk of seeing that problem with most of them, some of them, but not none of them, lol. It is the mdl coding for the prop disc that's not compatible with FSX. . .nothing you can do about it really. There are varying degrees of that as well. . .on some you can see the scenery behind the prop fine, but once in the air, the clouds always appear in front of the prop. It comes down to how much you really want the airplane in FSX and how distracting it is while flying. If you're going to spend every minute outside your airplane staring at that danged prop and cussin' then you probably want to only install native FSX props. . .on the other hand, if you fly in the VC, occasionally going outside to see the view (and not the danged prop) and you enjoy the airplane. . .by all means install it and go on.

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2013, 15:15
Hahaha.... Thanks, Danube. The patch worked. Sort of.

It replaced the model and the original textures with *.dds files. And yes, it looks good and the prop is no longer a problem. On the other hand, all the addon texture files will no longer work as they are in *.bmp format creating a really black looking Spit.

Falcon, I hear what you're saying. In this case (and in others) the original install file specifies an install for FS9 OR FSX. The SkySim Sea Vixen which I purchased years ago looks great in FSX. If the developer says it will install in FSX, one assumes that issues like the prop are addressed. Guess not.

No harm done. Beer is on me, guys.

Roger
March 17th, 2013, 15:23
Props and glass will give the majority of Fs9 port-over problems and results will not always be the same, depending on how they were modeled. As I now use Dx10 preview (with Steve Parsons new shaders) I have very few port-overs, except those that show textures in Dx10, for example Manuele's Ansaldo.

Daube
March 17th, 2013, 15:24
The problems you get with theses textures is a bit strange.
What is the exact product name of your Spitfire ? "Wings of Power", or "Wings of Power 2" ?
The patch was made for the WoP2 Spitfire.

EDIT: ah nevermind, I read too fast. So the patch worked and it's only the additionnal repaints that you had downloaded in the past that were not working properly anymore. I get it now, sorry !
Also, haven't you read the rest of the topic ? There a pretty interesting link in it ;)
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10696

Quoted from there:

Old repaints work great but you will have to rename 4 files:

-open your old textures folders
-rename spit?.bmb as spit?_t.bmp (? is a number from 1 to 4)
-delete everything else
-open texture.rdc, copy texture.cfg and paste it in the old textures folders

That's it...

Regards,

Stephan

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2013, 17:49
Yep, I missed the rest of the topic on the textures.

All 25 additional textures have now been fixed per instructions, and all the repaints really look nice in FSX. In fact the patch made it a much better aircraft.

My neck is now stiff from working at the computer with my trifocals.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the assistance (and gentle pushing in the right direction).