PDA

View Full Version : Hear actual F-8 Startup

FSX68
March 16th, 2013, 08:46
The carrier is CVA-38, Shangri-la, and the aircraft are VF-13's. The file was actually recorded by some French Crusader guys for their big wingding in 1999 when they retired their F-8's.

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djohnson/manning.htm

I remember the F8 Start up sounds and the smell of JP4 in the morning

Jagdflieger
March 16th, 2013, 09:56
Where are my ear plugs????

Reminded my of Hueys spooling up in the morning.

TARPSBird
March 16th, 2013, 10:56
You should hear a whole bunch of 'em starting up at the same time, it's awesome. One of my USS Hancock memories, filed under "cool stuff I'll never be able to experience again". :icon_lol:

PRB
March 16th, 2013, 11:21
My first cruise was in 1982. When I joined the squadron, my new shipmates told of RF-8s on the Kitty Hawk during the previous cruise, so I missed the F-8 experience by one cruise! They sound sort of like A-7s starting up. What I really wanted to hear was when the F-8s went to after-burner, all at once, and not slowly through "stages" as they do today. I'm told it was quite a "BOOM!!". I sort of got to hear it while on a det to Holloman AFB, where they had QF-100s going through engine tests, during which they lit off thier similar type ABs. BOOM! That's cool.

TARPSBird
March 16th, 2013, 12:07
By the late 1970's the RF-8's were the only Crusaders still in the fleet. The single-stage A/B lighting off was always guaranteed to scare the newbies on the flight deck, especially if they weren't paying attention to the launch. Loud booms during flight ops are not usually a good thing. :icon_lol:

FSX68
March 16th, 2013, 13:49
By the late 1970's the RF-8's were the only Crusaders still in the fleet. The single-stage A/B lighting off was always guaranteed to scare the newbies on the flight deck, especially if they weren't paying attention to the launch. Loud booms during flight ops are not usually a good thing. :icon_lol:

F8 on high speed flyby.......Turn on your sound and click on link below:
you mean like this: http://www.cloudnet.com/~djohnson/images.html