PDA

View Full Version : Is it Just Me?? My Performance Was Not Good.

rvn817j
March 12th, 2013, 14:11
This might be a help to some. (And some might say 'How could he be so stupid?') I have been re-installing some stuff into FSX and tweaking and fiddling and updating. One of the things I did was update my UTX. I also use (and really like) Graham Michaels VFR Appalachia (particularly KMRB...I wish he would do KJYO). After the thread on "Love and Hate with the C-27J" I re-installed my C-27J and went about updating and swapping out the FDE (thanks Pam). Darn it if my FSX wouldn't crash when my C-27J was about 5 miles outside KMRB. Delete C-27J. I really like the P-21 and was using that alot. It started crashing FSX ~5 miles outside KMRB. I think I found the fix!

The UTX update installed UTX Airports on top of my fav VFR Appalachia. I went into the scenery files and moved VFR Appalachia above UTX Airports. It seems to have fixed my problem. The only reason I was able to recognize this problem was because I have several FTX areas and if you are not flying in those areas you have to go into FTX Central and select FSX default so the FTX files don't load.

The moral to the story is (or maybe it's a question) ... has anyone developed a scenery hierarchy chart listing what should go on top of what? I haven't yet re-loaded another of my favorites (Aerosoft Niagara Falls), but I'm assuming any specific airports should go above any general airport file (like UTX Airports). Thanks and fun flying!

Gdavis101
March 12th, 2013, 14:15
I upgraded GEX along with UTX last week and I am noticing some issues, actually had a CTD on a short flight from KYKM to KELN. Its a flight that I do regularly on FSX and this only started after upgrading.

ST0RM
March 12th, 2013, 15:29
I too had a lot of trouble after updating my UTX from basic 1.2 to the latest 1.6. The same issues that you've both described. CTDs and very slow terrain texture rendering.

I posted this isue of their site and was told it was my system that just couldnt handle it. After trying several settings far below what I could run FSX on before the update, I deleted everything and started from scratch. GEX and UTX only at 1.2 Their updates did more harm than helped and they wont own up to it. And their own README states that if you can FSX scenery at high levels, you'll have no problems with UTX. Hmm...

So I deal with some of the errors in UTX 1.2 but at least it's stable.

-Jeff

rvn817j
March 12th, 2013, 15:39
I think the issue is because the UTX upgrade is placing a file (or group of files) called "UTX Airports" at the top of the scenery listing and that it is conflicting with any specific airport or city files one might have loaded. Checking with UTX about conflicts would be the ideal thing to do.

ST0RM
March 12th, 2013, 17:50
For me it was their night texture rendering. It simply wouldnt load quick enough. It would bog down FSX so bad, I'd have to pause the game during a night flight just to let it catch up. I've got no idea why as I had turned off the city lights, but at 32,000 feet it shouldnt have been an issue.

-Jeff