PDA

View Full Version : Comments made in the year 1955

beana51
March 11th, 2013, 19:05
http://whatthefocus.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/comments-made-in-the-year-1955/

The Good Old Bad Days...NOT!!

DON'T WORRY,BE HAPPY,DON'T WORRY.ITS OK
(http://whatthefocus.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/comments-made-in-the-year-1955/)

Drzook
March 12th, 2013, 05:33
Y'know, my grandfather actually quit smoking because they raised the price of a pack of cigarettes to....fifteen cents...a...pack.

Navy Chief
March 12th, 2013, 05:40
I especially liked the comments about government.

And my mother used to say that groceries cost, on the average, about $10 per bag. Oh, I wish that was still so.....

NC

Odie
March 12th, 2013, 08:18
I remember my Mom buying the whole chicken and cutting it up herself rather than the individual pieces because the whole chicken was $.39 a lb.

n4gix
March 12th, 2013, 10:23
I remember the halcyon days when armed with only $5 in my pocket, I could take a date to the movies and have popcorn and a soda, then stop off at DQ for an after movie treat, fill up my dad's tank, then buy a pack of Marlboros, drop off my date at her house, then finally return home...

...and still have a $1.25 in my pocket!!! :applause:

beana51
March 12th, 2013, 13:09
Looking back seems OK..But the truth here is HOW MUCH MONEY$$$$ WAS THE AVERAGE FAMILY MAKING?.....Did we then have the great evolving medical technology??..Guys like me now 80yrs+ old would have been planted then..THERE WAS NO FLIGHT SIM THEN........I remember the old guys in 1955 reminiscing the 1930s..Who in their right mind would want to back there..THE .DEPRESSION ???.some day at this rate,we will look back at 2013!!....wonder what will be said then???..Will it be Wonderful? or will it be Awful..Any case,it will be different,fer sure,fer sure!!!,Cheers Men...Vin

Navy Chief
March 12th, 2013, 13:33
Looking back seems OK..But the truth here is HOW MUCH MONEY$$$$ WAS THE AVERAGE FAMILY MAKING?.....Did we then have the great evolving medical technology??..Guys like me now 80yrs+ old would have been planted then..THERE WAS NO FLIGHT SIM THEN........I remember the old guys in 1955 reminiscing the 1930s..Who in their right mind would want to back there..THE .DEPRESSION ???.some day at this rate,we will look back at 2013!!....wonder what will be said then???..Will it be Wonderful? or will it be Awful..Any case,it will be different,fer sure,fer sure!!!,Cheers Men...Vin

There were things about the 40s that I wish I could have lived back then, such as the music, and even the clothing styles, etc... Today's conveniences are nice, but I sometimes wonder if we haven't gotten away from social interaction as a result.

As for the future? Things are looking somewhat bleak, if you ask me. Economically we (the U.S.) are going down the tubes, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to think positive. NC

Kiwikat
March 12th, 2013, 14:14
I sure am glad I didn't live back then. My generation is living in a fascinating time, that's for sure. We are living through all of the mistakes of the baby boomers and are at the complete mercy of technology, which just keeps speeding up. I sure am glad I have a job in IT. It aint goin nowhere.

Like all generations before mine, I look at the kids of today and shake my head at how they're ending up. Funny how that works. :icon_lol:

Naismith
March 12th, 2013, 14:16
We do live in such a wasteful world nowadays. My grown up kids drive me to distraction with their wastefulness. My daughter e.g. will never finish a drink be it juice or booze, she thinks there is some saliva within the dregs. I guess because I was raised to never waste anything by parents who had come through the 30's depression followed by wartime rationing it is inbred. Any left over usable food can be used the next day or so, unusable goes into the dog. I remember as a child being fed what I had left the from previous days dinner for breakfast or lunch the next day.
Equally it is next to impossible now to get things repaired, much easier just to get new. This trend for replacing cellphones every 5 minutes baffles me.:isadizzy:

beana51
March 12th, 2013, 14:30
I hear ya chief! Me too sometimes,..As the years go by one longs for their youth WERE better!!.Things were always much better then!...And they were..Being younger??? nothing better than that!!..Its traditional for an older generation not to have much faith in the currant generation... this as far as history tells us...Of course the future is unknown,scary,as it has been to every generation...We call that generation of that great Depression and Wars..THE GREATEST GENERATION....Ya know what?? I think every generation of America is Great..Just task them,show them the way, and truth..and you will have a GREAT GENERATION!...Fashions come and go,songs,dress food,toys, Each Generation contributes ....So all in all,it ain't so bad!..one still can chose ones life s style and tastes.in a free environment DO IT!...I look at my Kids,grand kids,and Yaa the Great grand kids.to,.and I would trade places with them in a milli-Sec...Cheers my friend..Vin

Kiwikat
March 12th, 2013, 14:33
I hear ya chief! Me too sometimes,..As the years go by one longs for their youth WERE better!!.Things were always much better then!...And they were..Being younger??? nothing better than that!!..Its traditional for an older generation not to have much faith in the currant generation... this as far as history tells us...Of course the future is unknown,scary,as it has been to every generation...We call that generation of that great Depression and Wars..THE GREATEST GENERATION....Ya know what?? I think every generation of America is Great..Just task them,show them the way, and truth..and you will have a GREAT GENERATION!...Fashions come and go,songs,dress food,toys, Each Generation contributes ....So all in all,it ain't so bad!..one still can chose ones life s style and tastes.in a free environment DO IT!...I look at my Kids,grand kids,and Yaa the Great grand kids.to,.and I would trade places with them in a milli-Sec...Cheers my friend..Vin

There are so many questions I'd like to ask about this paragraph. I don't think SOH is the proper place to do it though.

Despite being quite anti-social myself, I find society and opinions fascinating. :wiggle:

CP1207
March 12th, 2013, 16:04
Kiwikat-
I sure am glad I didn't live back then. My generation is living in a fascinating time, that's for sure. We are living through all of the mistakes of the baby boomers and are at the complete mercy of technology, which just keeps speeding up. I sure am glad I have a job in IT. It aint goin nowhere.

Save early and often so that you have options that YOU can control... Us baby boomers lived through the mistakes of our parent's generation, and your descendants will live through the mistakes of yours... I'm sure there are more than a few of us here who had IT careers that vaporized in front of our eyes that we thought we would retire from.

beana51
March 12th, 2013, 16:20
Hi cp1207...TRUE!!.....When I was born HOOVER was President...now in retrospect????.And by Comparison??.He have been giving a Bum Rap!!
...DO IT??... then Of Course HAPPY DAYS WERE HERE AGAIN. and the rest is history. Have Fun..For this is!!.Vin!! <label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

FSX68
March 13th, 2013, 06:06
I especially liked the comments about government.

And my mother used to say that groceries cost, on the average, about $10 per bag. Oh, I wish that was still so.....

NC

I can remember when I could buy 4 sacks of groceries from the Commissary when I was stationed at then NAS Miramar back in '72 for $25.00 and yes, there was a steak in there too.

That was when and where I was married and only had to feed two people then and it would last a little over a week. I remember back then when Mc Donalds sliders were .18 Cents each.
so were the tacos at Taco bell. A pack of smokes was .25 cents (in the vending machines.) And we had beer in the barracks at Miramar (Zumwalt's Navy) for .25 cents a can.