PDA

View Full Version : Military Air Shows may be bare bones for 2013

Odie
March 11th, 2013, 08:46
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/10/its-going-to-hurt-us-automatic-budget-cuts-threaten-major-military-air-shows/

We make the trip to NAS Oceana every year and probably will this year even if it's show is cut back. For us, the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area has tons of stuff to do when not preoccupied with Oceana's treats. If you have a favorite show, you may want to keep tabs on it before making the trip, especially if you're going to see the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds as they are directly affected and may not be performing as scheduled.

Panther_99FS
March 11th, 2013, 16:21
T-Birds have cancelled all 2013 performances starting in April - I expect something similar from the Blue Angels...

CG_1976
March 11th, 2013, 16:32
Panther I cant find any info on the Army's Golden Nights?? Got any leads??

CWOJackson
March 11th, 2013, 17:00
Yep, Blue Angels and Golden Knights are grounded, but the Snowbirds will continue and includes some U.S. stops.

Link below to their schedule.

http://www.milavia.net/airshows/calendar/schedule-2013-snowbirds.html

Navy Chief
March 11th, 2013, 17:19
Well, as an unplanned side benefit, I bet the wives/husbands of all the Blue Angel pilots and Maintainers are glad to have more quality time together!

NC

N2056
March 11th, 2013, 17:30
From what I have read the Blue Angels have only officially dropped the performances scheduled in April. If things stay at the rate they have been going the rest of the season would get pulled as well. I have also seen where the "Fleet Week" celebrations this year probably won't happen either.

Daveroo
March 11th, 2013, 18:03
From what I have read the Blue Angels have only officially dropped the performances scheduled in April. If things stay at the rate they have been going the rest of the season would get pulled as well. I have also seen where the "Fleet Week" celebrations this year probably won't happen either.

that figures...my dad finally agreed to go to fleet week this year,atleast ive got him talked into the military vehicle show at camp delta near stockton ca in april

Odie
March 12th, 2013, 06:07
One thing about the Blues, is if they have the resources to continue their practice routines. From past instances, I know they have to fly a certain number of
hours per week in order to keep the rust from settling in if they aren't on the road. One would think they would since they are only standing down for April's schedule.

Navy Chief
March 12th, 2013, 06:34
One thing about the Blues, is if they have the resources to continue their practice routines. From past instances, I know they have to fly a certain number of
hours per week in order to keep the rust from settling in if they aren't on the road. One would think they would since they are only standing down for April's schedule.

I am sure all the flight demonstration squadrons have similar requirements. Fuel allocation is probably the big obstacle.

Ulitmately, there is plenty of waste within our government that could be eliminated instead of cutting programs like this one. But chances of that happening fall into the same category as when pigs fly.

NC

Terry
March 12th, 2013, 06:43
No problem, hopefully events that ask for a flyby or military air show events will now go to the CAF and other organizations that are preserving old warbirds. This will also help these organizations out financially.

N2056
March 12th, 2013, 16:51

Allen
March 12th, 2013, 17:08
No problem, hopefully events that ask for a flyby or military air show events will now go to the CAF and other organizations that are preserving old warbirds. This will also help these organizations out financially.

Thats a good way of looking at things!

:icon_lol:

TARPSBird
March 12th, 2013, 18:19
"Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas! And all airshow flight demos!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDntpV_HdQ

TeaSea
March 13th, 2013, 05:17
MacDill AFB has cancelled the April Air Show, and the Fleet Week originally planned to coincide with it has also been cancelled.

I start my first furlough day on 21 April. I'll let you in on a little secret though....no one really has to furlough. My own organization has half the budget it did two years ago, and we still have more than enough to pay our civilian employee's. We would have to cut other operations but they are being cut anyway by the people we support.

We're going on furlough because it's directed by DOD.

Terry
March 13th, 2013, 05:40
According to a Fox news reporter a few days ago, all the Gov cutbacks have been deliberately selected to punish the public for not pressuring congress to go along with more tax increases. When you look at some of these cutbacks such as those listed above and curtailing white house tours (ooh, I'll bet that saved a lot) I think the reporter may well have a point.

n4gix
March 13th, 2013, 08:01
Thunderbirds have been cancelled for the next Chicago Air and Water Show. More critically though, if KGYY's tower is closed, that will present an issue for the airshow's anyway, since all aircraft are staged and coordinated from KGYY... :icon_eek: