PDA

View Full Version : The P-38 Lightening

FSX68
March 10th, 2013, 13:35
This shows the walk around and checkout prior to engine start, engine start procedures, taxi to take-off, take off, cruise flight and maneuvers, and landing and shut down.

It's a 24 min film but well worth the time to watch. Very informative as told by a pilot whose Dad flew them in WWII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nddCJbcdI

SSI01
March 10th, 2013, 18:46
This shows the walk around and checkout prior to engine start, engine start procedures, taxi to take-off, take off, cruise flight and maneuvers, and landing and shut down.

It's a 24 min film but well worth the time to watch. Very informative as told by a pilot whose Dad flew them in WWII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nddCJbcdI

I believe that's Jeff Ethell flying the aircraft. His dad did fly them in WWII. Tragically, Mr. Ethell was killed while at the controls of a P-38 during an airshow.

oakfloor
March 10th, 2013, 19:21
Jeff Ethell was killed while prepairing for a airshow In June 1997, when he ran a fuel tank dry and one engine quit. He apperently did not have the proper tank selected, the NTSB report put the blame on him. Tragic indeed, but he had no business in a 38' without a complete understanding of the fuel system IMO.

Wittpilot
March 10th, 2013, 19:52
Jeff Ethell was killed while prepairing for a airshow In June 1997, when he ran a fuel tank dry and one engine quit. He apperently did not have the proper tank selected, the NTSB report put the blame on him. Tragic indeed, but he had no business in a 38' without a complete understanding of the fuel system IMO.

Although he had lots of hours in various types of WWII era fighters, I think he had a fairly low amount of P-38 time... Can't remember how much, but it was pretty low IIRC...

SSI01
March 11th, 2013, 09:02
There is a film clip extant somewhere on the web showing a P-38 doing continuous aileron rolls at a very low altitude and continuing this activity in a long shallow descent right into the ground. I'm wondering if this is Mr. Ethell's demise.

Wittpilot
March 11th, 2013, 20:15
There is a film clip extant somewhere on the web showing a P-38 doing continuous aileron rolls at a very low altitude and continuing this activity in a long shallow descent right into the ground. I'm wondering if this is Mr. Ethell's demise.

No, that was California Cutieat Duxford in the 90's... 96ish I think....There is no video of Ethell's crash and I've never seen photos either...

PRB
March 12th, 2013, 07:00
I read something about Ethell's crash once. It wasn't during an airshow. He was just flying the plane. A couple other pilots had already taken the plane for a spin around the pattern before Jeff got in. The fuel tank selector switch was left in the tank it's supposed to be on for take off, which is a smaller tank. By the time it was Jeff's turn, that tank was low, and it ran out while he was in the landing pattern, low and slow...

If I remember the details, that is. It was something similar to that.

- Paul

Odie
March 12th, 2013, 08:21
Some detail on Jeff's crash:

http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/183014-1.html