PDA

View Full Version : Question on USB controllers

WarHorse47
March 9th, 2013, 08:37
Not sure where to ask this question, so this forum looks like a good start.

My new box is running Win8, and my controllers are the CH Product's USB Combatstick and USB Pro Pedals.

Whenever I leave the computer, I have it configured to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes. First the monitor, then the hard drive a few minutes later. When I return to the computer, it comes out of sleep mode with a keystroke or when I move the mouse. No problem here.

However, after the computer wakes neither controller is functioning. By that I mean it is recognized by the computer, but nothing happens when I press a button, move the stick, or move the pedals. In order for it to function again, I have to unplug/plug both USB connections.

I've gone into my Device Manager and insured that all by USB devices are not powered down by Win 8. I have not installed the CH Products Control Manager as I don't see where that affects the USB connectivity to the controllers (and its just another piece of software I likely will not use). Both controllers work great in both sims when active so I'm reluctant to install any more drivers, again for the same reason.

Anybody have similar experiences and any luck with a solution?

Thanks in advance.

strikehawk
March 9th, 2013, 09:28
I know this sounds like a sarcastic remark but it's not, disable the sleep setting in your PC, that's the first thing I did when I got the new one last year. Only other thing you may want to look at is that the controllers drivers are up to date. Other than that I have no idea as I have Win7 and XP on my machines. Sorry I could give anything better

falcon409
March 9th, 2013, 09:32
I know this sounds like a sarcastic remark but it's not, disable the sleep setting in your PC, that's the first thing I did when I got the new one last year. Only other thing you may want to look at is that the controllers drivers are up to date. Other than that I have no idea as I have Win7 and XP on my machines. Sorry I could give anything better
You beat me to it strikehawk, lol. . .again, nothing smart-alecky about it but sleep mode has had that same effect on my system early on after I got it and within a few days, it was turned off. It wasn't worth the hassle of messing with trying to "revive" other functions that the system "swears" it didn't affect.

jojohnson9
March 9th, 2013, 09:58
I have had CH Products stick, pedals, and throttle for years and have always had this problem. As indicated above, I don't let my 'puter sleep. I would recommend installing CH Device Manager; it does a great job of calibrating the controllers.

WarHorse47
March 9th, 2013, 14:37
Thanks for the responses.... I think LOL

I never had any problems with my CH Controls on my XP machine. That was setup with the same sleep mode for CPU and monitor and it's still running after 10 years. It's this darn new box and Win8. Don't ya' just hate it when someone changes the rules and doesn't let you know.

So far there have been no calibration issues with either control in either sim. I'll give some more thought to the CH Control Panel.

One option nobody mentioned is I could just sit at the computer all day and fly, that way it never goes to sleep.

Thanks again.

napamule
March 9th, 2013, 19:52
Why don't you try to set it up to 'Hibernate' (instead of sleep) and see if it keeps the controllers 'active' (or at least, restores the function on wake up). I have put PC into Hibernation, with FSX minimized, and 8 hours later I woke it up, maxed FSX and continued on my way with everything working as if I had not done anything. Hibernation is different to sleep. Different rules. Sleep is a screen saver. Hibernation is a 'save settings and shut down' type operation. I usually set turn off monitor=2 min's, turn off HARD DRIVES=3 min's (not CPU! HA), and Hibernate=5 min's (can be up to 5 hours delay). As long as PC hasn't hibernated yet, I just move the mouse and it wakes back up (the hard drive and monitor). When I want to 're-store' everything (after it goes into hibernation already) I push the POWER BUTTON on PC front panel and Windows starts, etc (just like a re-start). Wala. It's the same (more or less) but more better. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

mjrhealth
March 9th, 2013, 21:59
Go into device manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers / USB hubs, power Management Tab, untick the box that says" allow the computer to turn off device to save power",

and see if that works. You will need to uncheck all the hubs.

WarHorse47
March 10th, 2013, 07:03
Go into device manager and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers / USB hubs, power Management Tab, untick the box that says" allow the computer to turn off device to save power",

and see if that works. You will need to uncheck all the hubs.Yes, I have done that with no noticeable change.