PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft or parts disappear when far away?

MarkH
March 7th, 2013, 08:25
Maybe a question for aircraft builders, but I have discovered an annoying problem. If you load the default trike, switch to spot view and then zoom out or move away (increase the chase distance), beyond a certain point the rigging and pilot disappear. I've also noticed that some aircraft simply disappear beyond a certain range if you're watching from an external view (e.g. a tower view), but reappear if you zoom in.

Is there any logic to this? And more to the point, is there any way to fix it short of having the model source code? I am wondering if is related to another common observation, which is that beyond a certain range aircraft will appear untextured (white).

stiz
March 7th, 2013, 10:30
i think its the LODs kicking in, reduced poly models that apear to keep performance up. A lot of (if not all!) addon planes dont have them, but all the default planes do.

Also nope, cant be "fixed" without the source code.

Mach3DS
March 7th, 2013, 11:47
If your "Smallpartrejectradius" in the FSX.cfg is set too high, it will also cause them to disappear until you zoom back in when they reappear. Although I'm not an FSX guru, so one of them should chime in to confirm that this entry also affects Aircraft and not just scenery. I could have sworn it has an effect on aircraft as well.

MarkH
March 7th, 2013, 12:20
i think its the LODs kicking in, reduced poly models that apear to keep performance up. A lot of (if not all!) addon planes dont have them, but all the default planes do.

Also nope, cant be "fixed" without the source code.

(a) Makes sense. (b) Bummer, not what I wanted to hear :(

MarkH
March 7th, 2013, 12:28
"Smallpartrejectradius"

Thanks, but not that. (Fly Orbx OG39 in snow and you won't use SmallPartRejectRadius again...)