PDA

View Full Version : The History Channel - VIKINGS

Eoraptor1
March 6th, 2013, 08:20
Anyone else watching this? Any impressions? Where I live it comes on Sunday nights at 10PM EST, but you can watch the first two episodes on History.com. So far, I've found it very compelling. So far. I'm always afraid a show I like in the beginning will jump the shark.

JAMES<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Odie
March 6th, 2013, 08:32
Hey James, watched it Sunday night and I think a couple more eps need to air for a solid opinion. However, having said that, I like what I've seen so far. It has some
political intrigue and the acting isn't too shabby. From the upcoming eps preview trailers, Ragnar looks to be gaining a reputation as a leader amongst his people setting
up some challenges to the traditional chieftain. Ragnar's wife looks to become a force to reckoned with as well. Pretty and a warrior.

I'm hoping by the 3rd episode, the characters will start to firm-up and become established.

beana51
March 6th, 2013, 08:54
Any Historical rendition is interesting..mostly the sets, reproductions..Ect Ect Ect.This one is OK!.Its those who take licence with history that annoys me...applying modern ideas and morals to the Viking era.. no matter,its the language it self? or the line of thinking of the portrayed Vikings...for years any Roman movie.s was with Englishman .portraying Italians?....Sexy Rexy Harrison playing Ceasar???.. The Viking leader is portrayed by Gabrill Byrne ..A great Irish,a gentile man who once studied for the priest hood ,With this version best they go to modern Viking Country for casting. better yet right here in the USA,sign up the "Hells Angles".These guys look Celtic to me..and they are..Irish ,the very victims of Vikings...I know I'm splitting hairs here..Having fun too, But its entertainment..This done well by these actors..The 1958 movie was great,so too the 1928 attempt.....Maybe if they used the Viking real Language it would lend some accuracy.....have fun Vin!!.

"OH LORD PROTECT US FROM THE FURY OF THE NORSEMAN" was the prayers then..Vikings did Not Play Nice!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFes1Rl2l0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFes1Rl2l0Q&playnext=1&list=PLUwk7T4pRvDhYrnGh8k1hT65v18B0oAXn&feature=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClTjcyNJSI

Eoraptor1
March 6th, 2013, 12:16
Any Historical rendition is interesting..mostly the sets, reproductions..Ect Ect Ect.This one is OK!.Its those who take licence with history that annoys me...applying modern ideas and morals to the Viking era.. no matter,its the language it self? or the line of thinking of the portrayed Vikings...for years any Roman movie.s was with Englishman .portraying Italians?....Sexy Rexy Harrison playing Ceasar???.. The Viking leader is portrayed by Gabrill Byrne ..A great Irish,a gentile man who once studied for the priest hood ,With this version best they go to modern Viking Country for casting. better yet right here in the USA,sign up the "Hells Angles".These guys look Celtic to me..and they are..Irish ,the very victims of Vikings...I know I'm splitting hairs here..Having fun too, But its entertainment..This done well by these actors..The 1958 movie was great,so too the 1928 attempt.....Maybe if they used the Viking real Language it would lend some accuracy.....have fun Vin!!.

"OH LORD PROTECT US FROM THE FURY OF THE NORSEMAN" was the prayers then..Vikings did Not Play Nice!!

I do partly agree with this sentiment. I feared the show's producers would waffle on depicting the brutality of the Northmen's raids. After episode 2, I stopped worrying. I grew up thinking the Romans were English gentlemen wrapped in bedsheets, and was surprised when I started reading actual Roman histories. I believe there are a number of demonstrable reasons for the Anglicization of Rome in the movies, but that would require a rather long essay to address, so I'll let it drop there. I couldn't say for certain how much modern Italians resemble those of the Republic, or especially those of the Empire, when people from the whole Med are coming to Rome. They've been invaded many times by many nations since then. Furthermore, a Roman citizen of toward the end of the Republic is likely to consider being called an "Italian" an insult. They fought one of their many civil wars during this period over the extension of the franchise to non-Roman Italian people, and the high-handed manner in which Latin colonists holding the Roman citizenship treated the Italian Allies. Gaius Marius' conservative (small "c") opponents in the Senate were fond of calling him an Italian hayseed with sub-standard formal Greek. If you wanted to climb the Roman political ladder at that time, you also wanted to downplay any Celtic ancestry, portraying yourself as "pure" Roman. Similarly, I've been of the opinion for some time that a lot of the genetic markers we're now used to calling "Celtic" are in fact Norse, and were brought to the what are now the UK and Ireland by the constant incursions of the Northmen. In any case, I'm grateful the History Channel is doing at least some programming that covers historical subject matter. To me, the Mayan Apocalypse and Ancient Astronauts don't count. JAMES

beana51
March 6th, 2013, 13:36
Very Good,I might add that Briton was a Roman Provenance.From 43AD to 410AD..one might conclude in those 400yrs or so ,most Britons may be Romans!..Once the Blue Painted Druids,with their human sacrifice tradition was eliminated by the Romans,they became Civilized...So to with the Picts and Scots..wild Barbarians..No Problem,,Best to keep them Isolated..Hence Hadriens Wall...I would think the world at that time was truly a mixture of all peoples and culture..Rome was the Capital of the World...Commerce and Culture from world over were there.Their contacts in the far east,Africa and some conjecture the new world..How would they smoke Pot if that were not so?? now are being realized. however Briton was dealing with the Carthaginians,Greeks and others before the Romans,..Tin was the commodity they traded for.The Legions themselves were more often recruited from the province they were born in..Then sent to all parts of the know world. when the Romans besieged and took Masada,The Legions were locals,From the Area.best adapted to the climate..Probley the same who crucified Christ!All Europe were represented in the Legions...so in essence the Culture of Rome then was very tolerant of all.Only exception was ,you did not pay tax's,disobeyed its laws,did not respect their Gods,and refused to get drafted?...They came down on you hard!Rome is in Italy,The Latins,along with many distinctive people were there..The Encrustations ,Greeks most notably.I have been fortunate to visit Italy Many times.I study the ancient Sculptures.the Naples Museum has great stuff from Pompeii...I look at them carefully,and a feeling comes over me..They look like my relatives,and my self...I Kid you Not..my Dads Home Town,Nola 2000 yrs ago ,,fought of Hannibal twice..but it was Spartacus who over ran them....In his great book,"history Of The English Speaking People"..he credits the Romans with the extended peace Of the PAX ROMANA as a catalyst to Briton developing...Londinium ,still is there,as are the many Roman Roads,The Very English Language owes its roots to Latin.. Then the VIKINGS CAME,The Normans and others..Too Bad!!<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>.....This is Fun,Man I guess we could go on and on..However its all out there..one just has to go get it..Thanx My Friend..Vin!!...SOH a great place for Hanger BS<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>