PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Dad

fsxar177
March 5th, 2013, 14:03
Good-day to all!
Some of you folks have been following the status of my Dad, who was diagnosed with a terminal Cancer, back in May. Thank-you to those who have offered support, and the kind words!

My Dad, Lowell Thompson, with heavens ticket in hand, took flight to the eternal realms of Glory, Saturday evening, March 2nd.

Dad was a huge Warbird, and Air-race fan.

Attending Reno for the first time in 1972. As a high-school senior, Dad took a few precious pennies, best friend, and rattle-trap vehicle, and headed to Reno. Spending the nights in the car, the local police on guard had to ask them to relocate numerous times, and Dad had to fence-hop to get in the gates each day. But he was there! Having special interest in Slovak's Cobra "Mr. Mennen", he was most disappointed that Mira wasn't allowed to compete, upon his late arrival.

He continued to attend the races as often as possible, and took me first at the age of 3, in 1990. The trip south to Reno has been a long-standing tradition, that will continue in our family. Usually on a shoe-string budget, my best memories of Dad come during those weeks in September. His photos and videos from "Cheapskate hill", the "Valley of Speed", and other places remain treasured. He leaves behind stacks of slides, photos, and still yet undeveloped 35mm film, dating back decades. Between my brother and I, we hope to un-cover some gems, and we'll post the best of what we find in due time, for you guys!

Many folks would testify that Dad's knowledge in post-war air racing was nearly un-surpassed, and particularly of racing Mustangs and Cobras. His mind of air racing history will be greatly missed.

Working on the PAPA 51 Ltd. "Thunder Mustang" project from day one, he became very well acquainted with the investors, and builders of the many kits that were produced. He was always over-joyed when some of these would make there way to the air racing scene at Reno.

He made no enemies, and held no grudges. Dad would spend countless hours, with notebook in hand, with any other air race buff, sharing stories, legends, here-say's, and rumors. We shared his pain when personal friends like Tommy Rose, Gary Hubler, and Jimmy Leeward took their eternal flights.

Dad passed without the least bit of fear of his eternal destiny. He would want all here to know of his trust in Jesus Christ, and his confidence in that free gift of God, which is eternal life. Dad took his ticked to heaven in 1968, freely, by trusting in Jesus alone.

I would like to hold a live stream, in the coming weeks, sharing some stories, and photos, and discussing Dad life. This will be tailored to all of his friends in the aviation community, and I hope you all can join me. Will post details in due time.

Thank-you all for being such great friends over the years!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/102612_zpsd0bdb748.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/Oleanderdays_zps60b64e9c.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/b7622558-08aa-4060-8d7d-5d84aa6d278d_zpsbf049c8a.jpg

Joseph

Odie
March 5th, 2013, 14:11
Sorry to hear of your loss, Joseph. It sounds like he followed his passion and included you in it.

Navy Chief
March 5th, 2013, 14:18
My condolences to you, Joseph. Take comfort, knowing you will see him again someday:mixedsmi:

NC

Gdavis101
Sorry for your loss, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family at this difficult time.

Roger
So sorry to hear this my friend. Too young for him and too young for you to lose him but I see your belief will carry you through.
My thoughts and condolences to you and your family.

Yob
March 5th, 2013, 14:30
Very sad to hear. I wish to pass on my condolences.

Eli'jah and the rest of my family.

Daveroo
March 5th, 2013, 14:44
Joesph,im sorry to hear he has passed,but rest knowing he is now pain free and as you stated he went with piece in his heart,id like to join you in the stream chat thing..keep us posted to when you do it please..Dave

beana51
March 5th, 2013, 15:29
Sorry for your loss Joesph!..What you plan to do,The celebration of his life is wonderful...I'm sure your dad would be proud of you!...There is a Horrible word in English.. Its "CLOSURE"..You cannot close Love and Memories...your dad will live as long as he is remembered..when you do not?..He then will be gone..God Bless your Family in these sad days!!..

trucker17
March 5th, 2013, 16:16
Sorry to hear about your DADs passing....On a lighter note.....You know he has the best seats in the house now for all the airshows and races....
You and yours will be in our prayers....:frown:

Jagdflieger
March 5th, 2013, 16:49
I'm sorry to hear your sad news Joseph. God's speed to your dad on his final flight.

mrogers
March 5th, 2013, 16:56
So sorry to learn of your dear Dad's passing. Yes, it would be wonderful to do a celebration of your Dad's life. I lost my Dad 3 years ago, and more recently my Mum. They both received their tickets to Heaven, too.

pilottj
March 5th, 2013, 17:04
Very sorry to hear about your dad passing Joseph.

Eoraptor1
March 5th, 2013, 18:28
My condolences to you and your family. I lost my mother to Level IV pancreatic cancer, so I do know some of what you're dealing with. Allow yourself your own feelings. The sun will rise.

JAMES

luckydog
March 6th, 2013, 06:52
So sorry........

HouseHobbit
March 6th, 2013, 16:16
Very Sorry to hear of your loss..
God Bless you and your family..

Quicksand
March 6th, 2013, 16:32
My prayers go out to you and your family, Joseph. It sounds like your Dad was a wonderful man and an awesome Dad..:medals::salute:

fsxar177
March 8th, 2013, 19:39
Thank-you guys so much for the support! It means a lot.

I look forward to sharing more of Dad's history, and some of his aviation photography, in the coming months.

Anyone interested in some armor-glass shields from P-38's? We've got 'em!

Thanks again!
Joseph