PDA

View Full Version : searching for pilots

Daveroo
March 2nd, 2013, 17:51
im wondering..is there a way to look up if a person has a private pilots license? if so,where and how?

beana51
March 2nd, 2013, 19:06
In the US, the FAA controls licensing of pilots.
You can search for their pilot's license (a.k.a. their Airmen Certificate) on the FAA's website:
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

For FAA Registry...N-Numbers.....Go Here

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx

KellyB
March 3rd, 2013, 05:38
Isn't it wonderful that our government(s) collect(s) info about us, catalog it in a nice database, and publish it for everyone to read?

Among them, Facebook and Google, we can not only find out that so-and-so is a pilot, but what kind of underwear he/she/ buys and where.

What a wonderful age of technology..........

Daveroo
March 3rd, 2013, 06:50
Isn't it wonderful that our government(s) collect(s) info about us, catalog it in a nice database, and publish it for everyone to read?

Among them, Facebook and Google, we can not only find out that so-and-so is a pilot, but what kind of underwear he/she/ buys and where.

What a wonderful age of technology..........

well i dont care what underwear he choses,or his toothpaste or what type sheets he sleeps on......but this person claims to be a pilot,and i dont believe him,he knows less about the "art of flying" than i do...and id like to find out if there was a way to see if he had a lic or not....

Daveroo
March 3rd, 2013, 06:51
In the US, the FAA controls licensing of pilots.
You can search for their pilot's license (a.k.a. their Airmen Certificate) on the FAA's website:
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

For FAA Registry...N-Numbers.....Go Here

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx

thanks Beana

n4gix
March 3rd, 2013, 07:18
well i dont care what underwear he choses,or his toothpaste or what type sheets he sleeps on......but this person claims to be a pilot,and i dont believe him,he knows less about the "art of flying" than i do...and id like to find out if there was a way to see if he had a lic or not....
I use this database frequently to verify the bonafides of folks who make claims to being a "real pilot.."

You'd be astonished at which of the "famous pilots" in the flightsim world is not listed in the FAA database. Every pilot who's ever had an FAA certificate should be in the database, even if it has been expired for decades. One of my best friends keeps his certifications current, even though I know for a fact he's not flown anything for the past ten years...

...notice that even his medical is up to date:

<tbody>

Medical Class: Second, Medical Date: 4/2012

MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.

</tbody>

AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT | FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR | GROUND INSTRUCTOR | MECHANIC
Date of Issue: 4/6/2006
Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT Print
Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER
COMMERCIAL PRIVILEGES
GLIDER

Type Ratings:
<tbody>
A/BH-206

A/CE-500

A/LR-JET

</tbody>

Limits:
GLIDER AERO TOW AND WINCH TOW ONLY.

Bone
March 3rd, 2013, 07:26
You'd be astonished at which of the "famous pilots" in the flightsim world is not listed in the FAA database.

When the things they say just don't add up, lol.

rdaniell
March 3rd, 2013, 08:56
I looked myself up.....It takes more than just a name, however. There we 50 listings with my first and last name. Plugging in my current address narrowed the search to just me. What's really interesting is that it shows that I got my PPL in 2010.:icon_lol: That's the date that I got the new plastic card type license.

RD

TeaSea
March 3rd, 2013, 09:42
Same here ref the plastic card. It also took awhile for me to find myself. I would not assume because you cannot find someone right away it means they do not have a license. You seem to need a little more info than name to pinpoint someone.

beana51
March 3rd, 2013, 09:59
I tried also...Bless their Evil, Bureaucratic, Black hearts ,they remembered after some 39 yrs.. I was Shocked,Shocked, that they did!! They cannot take it away from you, unless your Bob Hoover! It's a matter of revoking the privileges thereof.
.. Bob Hoover had to fight like hell. to get it back!...Never surrender your Ticket,without due process!.......Checked for my ole Cherokee... it wound up in Altoona Pa....Miss that bird!...Vin!

Bone
March 3rd, 2013, 11:03
I What's really interesting is that it shows that I got my PPL in 2010.:icon_lol: That's the date that I got the new plastic card type license.

RD

It will show the date of issue for the 'current' Certificate, which is not neccesarily the same day that you took the check ride and got rated. As you know, it could be reissued for any number of reasons (address change, going from paper to plastic, ect) and then it will have the reissue date.

n4gix
March 3rd, 2013, 13:22
Same here ref the plastic card. It also took awhile for me to find myself. I would not assume because you cannot find someone right away it means they do not have a license. You seem to need a little more info than name to pinpoint someone.
When the person one is looking for has a fairly unusual spelling for their last name and the only three folks in the entire database with a first name beginning with "D" aren't the one being sought, I'd say that's fairly conclusive.

One of those folks has a "Flight Attendant" certificate, another has "NO" certificate and the third has an "AP Mechanic" certificate. Nary a pilot to be found...:icon_eek:

TeaSea
March 3rd, 2013, 14:04
It will show the date of issue for the 'current' Certificate, which is not neccesarily the same day that you took the check ride and got rated. As you know, it could be reissued for any number of reasons (address change, going from paper to plastic, ect) and then it will have the reissue date.

I guess that's right. Mine has my IFR certification as the date, which was about the same time I got the plastic card.

Bushpounder
March 3rd, 2013, 17:59
I found some that I know are current. I also found some where the people have been dead for 30+ years, but still listed. Some are not in there at all anymore.

Don

beana51
March 3rd, 2013, 18:29
Hi Don..Yaa! Turn their dead butts in....Of course its the family's of these departed not doing whats required...Then again The FAA is no different than the PO,.the Old grey guys,of that generation of experience, all gone,to be replaced by..????...result is a Discombobulated FAA!....Vin<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

Report a Deceased Airmen The following are the procedures to report a deceased airman:

If the airman is deceased, please mail a signed letter to the address listed below, indicating the deceased airman's full name and date of birth or certificate number. In order for us to update the airman's record to reflect the airman as deceased, we must have proof of death. This can be in the form of a death certificate, National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) report listing the airman's name indicating fatal death, or other documents confirming the individual's death acceptable to the Administrator. This information is required to ensure the correct changes are made to our airman records and to avoid inadvertent removal of a name and address from the Airman Directory, which is used to disseminate vital safety information. Please note that the deceased airman may continue to receive FAA mailings and publications for a few months after the airman's record is updated, but these mailings will eventually stop.
You can mail your letter to:
Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082

More answers here......

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/