PDA

View Full Version : B29 Big Time Operator BTO

ftl818
March 2nd, 2013, 07:48
Soon to be uploaded: a totally new repaint set for the A2A/shockwave B29 ported to FSX.

The repaint is of B29-50-BW 42-24791 Big Time Operator of 313th BW, 9th BW stationed on Tinian North Field in 1945.

I made new external textures with different grey tones to resemble the different metal skin panels as seen on so many WWII bw pictures including matching alpha channels. Unfortunately, as this is a pure FS9 model specular and bump maps could not be made. Hopefully this will give a good impression of the different shiny tones of the fuselage and wings. The transparency of the prop's was reduced to minimize the FS9-FSX cloud effects.

I also modified the aircraft.cfg to include working turbochargers for operations at 32.000 ft and changed the contact points of the landing gear slightly. For personal use I implemented the Real Engine program found on Simviation for proper engine management and damage effects. The modified aircraft file will be included.

Enjoy...

Paul

dougal
March 2nd, 2013, 08:41
Seems its no longer possible to get the original aircraft. I had it once in the disk collection, but no idea what happened to it:-(

TeiscoDelRay
March 2nd, 2013, 10:37
Nice job, I don't the newer FSX version so will this still work including the real engine files?

stovall
March 2nd, 2013, 11:19
This baby will be flying in Marianas 1945 for sure. Good job, looking forward to the download. Thanks for doing this at just the right time.

ftl818
March 2nd, 2013, 12:45
Nice job, I don't the newer FSX version so will this still work including the real engine files?

Hi,

Look here: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11850
You only need the FS9 B29 (in fact there is no FSX version) with the described changes in the panel.cfg, and she flies!

Hopefully A2A will see the light and focus on what they are good at: building warbirds and forget Cessna's and other GA stuff.

Good luck,

Paul

TeiscoDelRay
March 2nd, 2013, 13:36
Yes I agree, they seem to be on a different track these days. I have their two best planes, the B 17 and the B 377 and I know they will never make anything like them again.

Thanks for the info and great job on the paint and adding those cool real engine effects.

ftl818
March 4th, 2013, 05:08
This baby will be flying in Marianas 1945 for sure. Good job, looking forward to the download. Thanks for doing this at just the right time.

Hi,

The repaint has been uploaded today! More (also with anti icing boots are underway...)

Paul

stovall
March 4th, 2013, 06:41
Thanks Paul, when I started the Marianas 1945 project there was a need for a B-29 so I started looking. Someone at SOH steered me to e-Bay for the Shockwave Aircraft Powerpack. Got lucky and found one for 11 bucks. Anyone else wanting this well done antique may find a copy there. You get 26 aircraft including the B-29, B-24 and Avro Lancaster.

Big Time Operator will be a nice addition. Much appreciated.

TheGrunt
March 4th, 2013, 06:54
I found brand new Aircraft Power Pack from SimulShop store and I had to get it just for the B-29. Cost was around 20.40€ plus few euros for shipping and it is definitely worth that if I can have a decent B-29 to my hangar. As a bonus the pack includes few other interesting aircraft too, like He-162, Ar-234 and PB4Y. B-29 VC screenies don't look bad either considering its age. Shockwave/A2A definitely knew how to make a model already back then :wiggle:

Edit: And thanks for the OP! Downloaded the texture pack and I'm going to install it immediately, when my B-29 arrives :salute: