PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta avaiable to public 01/09/2009

hey_moe
January 8th, 2009, 03:59
The official word is this: "The beta version of Windows 7, Microsoft's next-generation PC operating system, can be downloaded today by MSDN, TechBeta and TechNet customers. Consumers who want to test-drive the beta will be able to download it beginning January 9 at http://www.microsoft.com/windows7" Moreover, Windows Live -- described as "a free suite of communications and sharing applications that make it easy for people to communicate, share and keep their online lives in sync and in one place with one login -- is now globally available.
That would be tomorrow folks. SOURCE: GURU3D

txnetcop
January 8th, 2009, 04:26
I have been involved with this since the beginning and I can honestly say that at least the leaked/released beta is very stable on most systems. Windows 7 is less cumbersome than Vista. I would recommend you set it up on fresh hard drive and not replace your current OS this is a beta. You can easily switch drives when you are done experimenting. There is a Service Pack 2 planned for quick release for current Vista owners that will finish addressing most of the Vista issues.
Ted

Service Pack 2 update here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335032.aspx

hey_moe
January 8th, 2009, 04:46
Ted I been messing with it too....it's like every other OS that MS puts out...one is good and the other is bad. Think about...windows98....then windows 2000...then...ME....ME was a total nightmare. Then XP came out and that was a follow up of Windows 2000 which to me was very stable. Now we have Vista which to me isn't very stable and doesn't work well with other programs. Window 7 to me from what I have seen is pretty darn stable. It has a few nice add-ons but nuthing that makes ya jump at it.....I wonder what there asking price will be? Also have you compared the boot time from Vista to Window7.

txnetcop
January 8th, 2009, 05:17
Yes much better time and it will be modular so that you only get what you want to work with. Less bloat more substance. The beta released is not as fast as the current work beta but it is only so that users can provide input.
Ted

GT182
January 8th, 2009, 05:25
Is the W7 Beta 32 or 64 bit?

txnetcop
January 8th, 2009, 06:14
Both 32bit and 64bit

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9125298

HundertzehnGustav
January 8th, 2009, 09:00
LOL i been running "seven" at work for 3 weeks now...:woot::jump:

its so so... needs getting used to, and copies ideas from apple, all over the board.

Lionheart
January 8th, 2009, 09:07
I hope it is much better then vista.....

Bill

Drake
January 8th, 2009, 10:22
I guess they'll use Direct X 11 to push this one. It would be nice after Win7 comes out that they do a DirectX 10 patch for XP, but it'll never happen.

RickN
January 8th, 2009, 18:00
My one question, will 7 run in Windows classic mode?

wombat666
January 9th, 2009, 00:06
Sounds positive so far.
Might consider the 64 bit version as a future (way in the future!) alternative to XP, but we'll see.
:kilroy:

Panther_99FS
January 9th, 2009, 04:47
I'd wager that FSXI will be optimized for the capabilities of Windows 7....Windows 7 should also have a mature (finished) DX10/11.

txnetcop
January 9th, 2009, 05:09
I'd wager that FSXI will be optimized for the capabilities of Windows 7....Windows 7 should also have a mature (finished) DX10/11.

Amigo I wouldn't be at all surprised. From the testing, I believe Microsoft has a winner here. I hated Vista from day 1 but they took the best part of Vista and made a masterpiece-yes their will still be critics but in the minority this time. This will be the new XP and I also venture a wild guess that it will have a very mature DX10/11 just made for FS11 and some their new games being introduced.
Ted

Cratermaker
January 9th, 2009, 06:42
Woohoo! My strategy of using every other MS OS may be paying off again! :woot:

Lionheart
January 9th, 2009, 09:11
So... Any personal reports? Likes, dislikes? Is it faster then XP, is it faster then vista, slower, or just as fast?

Is it a lean, clean, computin machine type of OS?

Lets here some viewpoints.....

Bill

Odie
January 9th, 2009, 10:27
Wonder how difficult the upgrade path will be to upgrade from Vista (meaning upgrading with Vista in-place or wiping Vista off and installing fresh?).

Joe P
January 9th, 2009, 12:04
Sounds like I may have accidentally picked the right time to build a new computer!

I managed to find XP install at Office Depot, and if 7 is this close (and good), then I won't have to worry about Vista at all.

:trophy: :checkeredflag:

txnetcop
January 9th, 2009, 13:16
So... Any personal reports? Likes, dislikes? Is it faster then XP, is it faster then vista, slower, or just as fast?

Is it a lean, clean, computin machine type of OS?

Lets here some viewpoints.....

Bill

Bill it will come out to be faster than XP and Vista in all testing because right now it is Windows 7 Lite. This is a beta and the tests for speed would mean nothing as far as boot-up. One thing it definitely is right from startup is smarter and a lot more fun and easier to use. Again, it is too early to make full test comparisons, because the release to let people get the feel for it and provide input. This time they went to the consumer and like Ballmer said "this time we woke up a lot smarter."

I have it dual booted on my Physicians network and it is a very smooth easy interface...of course that is only a test mode as I cannot risk putting the network at risk.

The look and feel is honestly great. If anyone wants the beta to try for yourself you will find it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows7

This test is only 16 hours old:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/156747/windows_7_public_beta_first_impressions.html

It has already changed a lot of people's minds about Microsoft's future committment to the real users
Ted

Butcherbird17
January 9th, 2009, 14:42
Well I just finished installing and updating it, got the x64 version.:woot:
Still waiting to get my key for it as MS :help: are getting swamped for this.
So far I like it, (I like vista to) it boots pretty fast and installed quick,:rapture: although I was ready to install by having a partition formatted and ready to go. Gunna go do some exploring and see what has changed and whats new.:typing:

Joe

GT182
January 9th, 2009, 15:30
Is DRM in it like in Vista? Well maybe not in the Beta, but in the final release?

Lionheart
January 9th, 2009, 16:01
What is DRM?

GT182
January 9th, 2009, 16:05
It's Digital Rights Management. That's the reason a lot of freeware and some payware programs won't run on Vista. They had to get with MS and work it out to get them to work. Kinda like "Simon Says". ;)

Navy Chief
January 10th, 2009, 16:34
According to what I read about Windows 7 Beta, is that it will no longer work after this August 21st? That is, unless you download a future update, or something to that effect. Did I read that wrong?

Pete

Panther_99FS
January 10th, 2009, 16:54
It's not uncommon for Microsoft to have timed betas - so I suspect this to be correct...

According to what I read about Windows 7 Beta, is that it will no longer work after this August 21st? That is, unless you download a future update, or something to that effect. Did I read that wrong?

Pete

Navy Chief
January 10th, 2009, 18:20
And, if I read correctly, at the end of the beta period, they recommend a "clean install."

Well, unless I could continue using Windows 7 by installing updates, then I don't think I want to download the beta version.

Wouldn't want to go through another install in August, after getting used to the "new" Windows 7.

Pete

txnetcop
January 11th, 2009, 04:08
It is not a complete Beta anyway, but it is feature packed, easy to use and fast. Like I said earlier lots of fun compared to the "V" word. SP2 for Vista is a filler for all the stuff that didn't get fixed with SP1 as Denny said nothing truly exciting.
Ted